Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
15-03-2013, 08:30 AM
RE: Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library
The more posts I read here (not just this thread, but most of the rest) the more I think that arguing with a firm "believer" (I prefer to refer to them as either "faithers" or "re-birthers") is a complete waste of time. For example, suppose I begin the argument with the statement, "The "prophet" Daniel was no different than a fortune teller!"
The "faither" response is something on the order of, "No! He was a prophet of God! His words came directly from God!"
My response would run along the lines of "Prove it!" And after much "friendly banter" back and forth we would come to the inevitable statement by the faither, "It's so because I believe it to be so." (or words to that effect).
It is at this point that thinking, critical reasoning, objective debate, and the search for truth ceases (if in fact it was ever there in the first place). For the faither needs no facts, requires no objective proof, and will admit no reason other than faith.
And regardless of how hard we try, when the discourse reaches this point....there is "no point" in continuing.
True?

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
15-03-2013, 03:54 PM
(15-03-2013 08:30 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  ...
And regardless of how hard we try, when the discourse reaches this point....there is "no point" in continuing.
True?

In a one-on-one, this is often true. Yet grains of truth can permeate, cracks of doubt can form.

More importantly, when / where there are external observers / listeners, our words are adding to a body of knowledge that can influence a waverer by slowly dissolving or creating cracks that chip away at the rocks of ignorance, dogma and faith like the slow drip of water that over time reduces a boulder to sand.

That's the point.

Take pride in being a little drip.

Undecided

22-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Here's a new site on bible contridictions that might be useful that I got from srd44's post.

Giving credit where credit is due.

Just an outsider looking inn.
29-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Added Christianity Disproved, and Contradictions in the Bible to the Debate Resources section. Thanks for the links. Big Grin

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2013, 10:24 AM
I just finished reading a book on atheism and politics.

Non Believer Nation
by David Niose- (from cover)- president of American Humanist Assoc. An attorney representing Secular Americans in the courts.

here's the blurb from Amazon
A new group of Americans is challenging the reign of the Religious Right

Today, nearly one in five Americans are nonbelievers - a rapidly growing group at a time when traditional Christian churches are dwindling in numbers - and they are flexing their muscles like never before. Yet we still see almost none of them openly serving in elected office, while Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, and many others continue to loudly proclaim the myth of America as a Christian nation.

In Nonbeliever Nation, leading secular advocate David Niose explores what this new force in politics means for the unchallenged dominance of the Religious Right. Hitting on all the hot-button issues that divide the country – from gay marriage to education policy to contentious church-state battles – he shows how this movement is gaining traction, and fighting for its rights. Now, Secular Americans—a group comprised not just of atheists and agnostics, but lapsed Catholics, secular Jews, and millions of others who have walked away from religion—are mobilizing and forming groups all over the country (even atheist clubs in Bible-belt high schools) to challenge the exaltation of religion in American politics and public life.

This is a timely and important look at how growing numbers of nonbelievers, disenchanted at how far America has wandered from its secular roots, are emerging to fight for equality and rational public policy.

"It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it." -pablo. Bowing
17-06-2013, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 09:38 PM by Near.)
Added Church of Awesome, Cognitive Dissonance, and Thomas and the Bible, and The TTA Skypecast to the Podcasts section. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2013, 10:03 PM
(17-06-2013 09:27 PM)Near Wrote:  Added Church of Awesome, Cognitive Dissonance, and Thomas and the Bible, and The TTA Skypecast to the Podcasts section. Smile

Glad to see you are still doing anti-God's work Thumbsup

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-06-2013, 12:34 AM
I just watched the four horsemen on YouTube. Smile

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

23-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Here are a couple radio interviews with Dr. Elaine Pagels (from Princeton University).

1. On the book of Revelation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWjtXasqPFM
(There were hundreds, if not thousands of such "revelation" texts).
There is a 15 minute teaser here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-Ny7qV6...ubs_digest
It's for sale from the Jesus Seminar, in it's complete form.

2. Gnosticism. a radio interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrurAm4akOM

Another by the BBC on Book of Revelation, putting it in historical context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s22mzNkFE8k

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
29-06-2013, 06:51 PM
I would highly reccomend Joseph Campbell and the power of myth. His interviews with Bill Moyers out at George Lucas's Skywalker ranch are spot on. I use his commentary all the time in keepers of the faith and others who are willing to listen.

It's a 2 disc DVD set you can get on amazon

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)