Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 3.78 Average
17-03-2017, 10:40 AM
RE: Atheist / Agnostic Informational Resource Library
Here's an interesting one from 2006 (uploaded to YT today).

The sound quality is poor and none of the arguments are new but we have Ben Carson demonstrating why he's such a perfect pick for the Trump cabinet.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Whoah! i'ma book mark this page for future reference. Thanks!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
25-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Alex O'Connor doing a Hitch.

I've added CosmicSkeptic to the index in the 'YouTube channels' section.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
26-04-2017, 03:31 PM
In Regards to a thread that was posted in the creation vs evolution forum, I ended up digging up some resources that I thought were awesome. Some really good explanations for abiogenesis. Rocks cause the chemical reactions necessary for life, seems to be the growing realization. We need more minerals that catalyze more reactions than just montmorillonite, which is what I'm going to be linking to. But this is great stuff so far! Super promising theoretical framework for abiogenesis. Gonna just put in quotes my response to what he asked.

Quote:... In terms of origins, get really Sciency on them and mention a soft phyllosilicate clay called, Montmorillonite, which seems to sequence basic molecules into proteins.

I'll actually provide links for this one.
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/...102203.php
http://www.hhmi.org/news/clays-may-have-...dial-cells
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

Once you're done mentioning it, mention that this is immediately the preferred explanation for abiogenesis by the scientific community at large, rather than, 'God did it,' until we come up with a better one, and regardless of what they would like to think of it.

Rocks cause chemical reactions... who knew? Tongue

Regards! Smile

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
26-05-2017, 08:09 AM
A you tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF326xy...g/featured
31-05-2017, 07:54 PM
A conversation covering a range of topics between the legendary Four Horsemen.

It's worth nothing but I pay my respects to the late Christopher Hitchens.

He had another twenty years of brilliance in him, that a fondness for whiskey and cigarettes deprived him of. I wonder what he'd think of Trump in office.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
31-05-2017, 08:25 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-07-2017, 04:44 PM
For those who would like to read philosophy, or theology journal articles dealing with atheism and related issues, there is JSTOR. Many public libraries have subscriptions to JSTOR allowing it's patrons to access JSTOR. For example, here in Houston, the Houston Public Library allows me to access JSTOR via my computer, and to search articles of interest. Not everything from every journal is there, but there is a lot of articles available. Read on line or download. For those interested in professional thinkers on these subjects, its a nice resource.

All I need to access this is a HPL library card and a working internet connection.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
14-07-2017, 07:36 AM
(13-07-2017 04:44 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  For those who would like to read philosophy, or theology journal articles dealing with atheism and related issues, there is JSTOR. Many public libraries have subscriptions to JSTOR allowing it's patrons to access JSTOR. For example, here in Houston, the Houston Public Library allows me to access JSTOR via my computer, and to search articles of interest. Not everything from every journal is there, but there is a lot of articles available. Read on line or download. For those interested in professional thinkers on these subjects, its a nice resource.

All I need to access this is a HPL library card and a working internet connection.
Seems that smaller regional libraries typically don't have this. More university and other research libraries, and probably some central libraries in large urban areas. Some universities provide their alumni with perpetual access.

It appears offhand that subscriptions offered to individuals are holding back the most recent content and don't have full coverage. There is some even more limited free access with registration. Thanks for reminding me of this, I'll have to look closer at it.
09-08-2017, 07:33 PM
The entire 'God Delusion' film for your viewing pleasure. Grab the popcorn and enjoy. Smile

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post