Atheist Analysis: Bill Maher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Atheist Analysis: Bill Maher
[Image: bill-maher.jpg]

I'm bored, so let's start discussing celebrities. Like him or not, Bill Maher is one of the leading voices on the side of atheism, since he is 2 things you rarely ever see:

1. an atheist
and
2. on television

Here's my breakdown:

Pro:

-He's very "brash" (I guess is the word) in his approach, never pulling punches, which can be seen as pro or con.

-He's smart enough to accurately represent atheists, meaning he knows his history and doesn't just spout rhetoric.

-He's not afraid to criticize America, which of course leads to people claiming he hates America. But I agree with the bumper sticker, Without Dissent, It's Not America.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz_NHAFGS0

-The ending to Religulous was just fantastic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeRcHZqPqW8

Con:

-He's a terrible comedian, with no timing, and an emphasized, limp-wristed punchline where he just sits in silence waiting for laughter.

-He's the epitome of "elitist" where he talks all snobby and is a vegan hippie, calling all non-organic food "poison."

Thoughts?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2011, 11:59 PM
RE: Atheist Analysis: Bill Maher
Religulous was a great movie. It's a good way to introduce newcomers to atheist ideas. But other than that I'm not impressed with Mr. Maher, and that is due mainly to his elitism. It reminds me too much of the Glenn Beck and the Bill O'Reilly attitude and ideology: My way or the high way. It's condescending and therefore alienating, and just who does that help?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
12-02-2011, 01:15 AM
His views on atheism and religion are great.
However he is not just a vegan-organic hippie he is a vaccine denier - so he loses me right there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5DLf1Qt78

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-02-2011, 02:10 AM
I used to really like Bill but he went far too left for me. He billed himself as a Libertarian at one time and lost his shit when Obama got elected. Now he comes across as an elitist pseudo intellectual who, like many, assume that if people just thought like him the world would be better.

But I admit I love his "New Rules" skits.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
12-02-2011, 04:36 AM
He's definitely gone more and more into his own corner of reality, but it's not like there aren't a huge list of religious television personalities like that. Television is not really a common place for Egalitarian thought. The more definite you make yourself the more view worthy you are. He's appreciated for some of the discussions that go on around him, but whenever I watch his shows I generally prefer his guests to himself. I much prefer Bill Maher to someone who is incapable and illogical. Also being an elitist is what America is about yay capitalism!!!

Not that I'll ever be one >.>

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 07:50 AM
(12-02-2011 02:10 AM)aesirus Wrote:  pseudo intellectual
I normally hate this term, but you know, it just might be fitting for a vaccine denier.
(12-02-2011 04:36 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Also being an elitist is what America is about yay capitalism!!!
This is far too true. People speak of America's greatness like we have done something great recently. The last great generation I can think of was the one that fought WW2. I think we, like every country, have the potential to "be great" but too much egotism, ignorance and infighting have gotten in the way in our case.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
12-02-2011, 11:14 AM
(12-02-2011 02:10 AM)aesirus Wrote:  Now he comes across as an elitist pseudo intellectual who, like many, assume that if people just thought like him the world would be better.

I think he's brilliant, but then again, I aspire to be an elitist pseudo intellectual...Tongue

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Are we sure he's actually an atheist? Not that we can't discuss him, but I think he's been a little wishy-washy on the subject, or of labeling himself as such. He's certainly critical of religion, obviously. And I believe Dawkins gave him an award for atheism, so I assume he wouldn't have accepted it if he didn't identify as an atheist, but hey, it is publicity, so....

Anyway, overall I like Maher, except for the anti-vacc thing. Hopefully he'll turn that around soon, because unless he does I can't take him seriously as a skeptic, just a guy who takes some fun and potent jabs at religion.

Above all I do think he's entertaining to watch, but not the ideal candidate for the public voice of rational atheism.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Doesn't everyone assume that if the whole world thought just like them that the world would be better, though? Is there anyone on this forum who does not think that the problem is everyone else but them?

The husband of a childhood friend has "friended" me on Facebook. He's an ultra conservative and some of what he writes is just hilarious. I think it was last week he had something like "I wish I was a secular liberal so I too could always be right". I was very tempted to make a comment about the irony of his comment since he obviously believes his ideas are always the correct ideas, but decided to let it go.

As for Maher, I enjoyed Religulous and I'll watch his HBO show on occasion but, while I agree with some of his basic positions, I am generally not that interested in people who think their opinions are so significant that they need to be paid to be on TV or radio to voice them.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:I am generally not that interested in people who think their opinions are so significant that they need to be paid to be on TV or radio to voice them.

What do you mean ?
Isn't it his job to be a host on a TV show ?
Don't get me wrong , I'm a pirate with a terra of data on my computer , but isn't he just marketing or trying to get a paycheck or something ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin