Atheist Analysis: Bill Maher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
RE: Atheist Analysis: Bill Maher
Bill is right about religion being dangerous and stupid. As atheists we are outnumbered, out financed and out-voiced by religions in the public domain. We need as many people spreading atheism and debunking religion as we can get. Why are we knit-picking? That may just be helping religion get to undermine us and reduce the power of our efforts to reduce the power religion has on the world. Religion may be divided against each other, but they will stand united against us despite these differences, while we weaken our position because we are knit-picking each other.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2011, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 09:10 PM by Lilith Pride.)
While we attempt to make claims against biggoted leaders how many people on here have a serious issue with a free thinking Christian? Ocassionally comments are made about how religions should just be abolished. Even in Religulous, Maher stated that most people in religion are not the crazy fanatics. I just would like to know how many of the community of free thinkers who choose not to believe without any real evidence seriously want every religion eradicated? I'm for free thought but that does not mean someone has to denounce all their other beliefs. You can have faith and still think for yourself.

I just sometimes get upset when people discuss spreading Atheism, as one of my main issues with Christianity is that all they ever do is spread their views. Do we seriously want to campaign against religions or simply to stand for reason? I don't need the whole world to feel there is no reason for belief in god. I just need people to stop stating I'm a horrible and destructive person for having a simple view.

And No. J this isn't directed simply at you there's just been enough pretty negative comments. I'm not trying to be overcritical but I sometimes feel there are radical statements made that can be fixed simply by everyone taking a second to reflect. Yeah I'm oppressed, I'm oppressed for my gender, my views, my appearance there is no end to oppression. But, no!!!! I will not oppress people so that I can feel better about being oppressed. I'll try my hardest to reach the people who oppress me and show them that they don't need to hold these views.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
(12-02-2011 09:03 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'll try my hardest to reach the people who oppress me and show them that they don't need to hold these views.

I don't think that you have quite grasped the tenacity and ruthlessness of oppressors. Good luck.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
(12-02-2011 09:03 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I just would like to know how many of the community of free thinkers who choose not to believe without any real evidence seriously want every religion eradicated?
I do not. I have no problem with the basis of most faiths. I see religion as either a crutch for those weak of will and mind or a justification for evil and oppression. But I also say let the weak have their crutch. As long as religion is practiced like sex (consenting adults and nobody gets hurt Smile) than I feel that it is all gravy, baby. It's when you bring in violence, children, and dangerous government policies that I decide that a voice needs to be raised in dissent. However, I would still love to see an end to both evangelical christianity and islam in general. I do not see any good coming out of either of these institutions.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
13-02-2011, 12:15 AM
About Maher, I like his comedic style. It's reminiscent of Jack Benny but with more of an edge.

About the movie, I didn't like it as much as I wish i had. It didn't go far enough. But the premise was good.

About the issue of religion in general, tonight I spent much of the evening drinking dancing and defending against Pascal's Wager. But we all left as friends. However, if I lived in Alabama or Texas it would have been quite different. Had I been in an Islamic state, I may not have left with my life. So long as everywhere in the world is like my neighborhood, I'm fine with people believing whatever they like. But that's not the case. so bring on the fundies and let's kill their ideas one by one.
13-02-2011, 07:05 AM
(13-02-2011 12:15 AM)gamutman Wrote:  so bring on the fundies and let's kill their ideas one by one.

Before they kill us , right ? Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
13-02-2011, 10:03 AM
(12-02-2011 04:07 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  What do you mean ?
Isn't it his job to be a host on a TV show ?
Don't get me wrong , I'm a pirate with a terra of data on my computer , but isn't he just marketing or trying to get a paycheck or something ?

Yes, that's my point. This is his job, he's paid to do it. He's not doing it for the purity of the argument, he's doing it for the paycheck and money in his wallet. When something becomes your job, you automatically then have a bias towards whatever pays the bills. It is impossible to be completely objective. So, I take the paid rantings of anyone, from any side of the debate, with a large dose of skepticism.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-02-2011, 12:00 PM
(12-02-2011 12:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  Doesn't everyone assume that if the whole world thought just like them that the world would be better, though? Is there anyone on this forum who does not think that the problem is everyone else but them?

The husband of a childhood friend has "friended" me on Facebook. He's an ultra conservative and some of what he writes is just hilarious. I think it was last week he had something like "I wish I was a secular liberal so I too could always be right". I was very tempted to make a comment about the irony of his comment since he obviously believes his ideas are always the correct ideas, but decided to let it go.

As for Maher, I enjoyed Religulous and I'll watch his HBO show on occasion but, while I agree with some of his basic positions, I am generally not that interested in people who think their opinions are so significant that they need to be paid to be on TV or radio to voice them.

Actually when I was a raving Liberal I often thought of how much better the world would be if it just thought like me. Now, not so much. Only because I've set my purpose to learning as much as I can. It's harder to learn when you think you know everything already. (I'm sure I picked that up on the back of a fortune cookie at some point).

But I think your general point is valid. There are those on both sides that pretend they know what's best for everyone else.

To another poster, I also thought Religulous was too tame. Especially when dealing with Islam.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
14-02-2011, 03:21 AM
(12-02-2011 11:18 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  As long as religion is practiced like sex (consenting adults and nobody gets hurt Smile)

Yes. Religion should be treated like a penis. Keep it out of sight and don't shove it down childrens' throats.

14-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote: As long as religion is practiced like sex (consenting adults and nobody gets hurt Smile)
Well, there are sado-masochists out there.
Quote:Yes. Religion should be treated like a penis. Keep it out of sight and don't shove it down childrens' throats.
Well, there are nudists and pedophiles out there.

Can't come up with anything better? Wink

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.