Atheist Analysis: George Carlin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Atheist Analysis: George Carlin
That's right. I went there. And I'm keeping it in the Politics section with the other ones.

[Image: george%20carlin%2003%20extra%20goofy.jpg]

Carlin had a style of atheism that could reach those that otherwise wouldn't listen. He would draw in a diverse crowd for the comedy, then he'd loosen up the crowd with "offensive" jokes, get em laughing at things they were usually defensive about, get you on his side, and then just transition to an anti-religion bit and you have no choice but to see the logic.

You could tell he didn't have an agenda and he wasn't trying to push a bunch of bullshit on you. He was just relating to you as a person who has been through a lifetime of shit and wants you to know about it.

Religion is Bullshit

"If it's 'God's will' and he's gonna do what he wants to anyways, why the fuck bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 03:03 PM
RE: Atheist Analysis: George Carlin
Everything he said about religion (and other things, place for my stuff springs to mind) was stuff everyone thought but never voiced. He had a way of delivering his material that made it accessible. In his younger days, he used a stoner persona to make his irreverence palatable. Then later he turned that into a cranky coot persona. He used his face better than any comic I've ever seen (with the possible exception of Jim Carey.) But what really set him apart in my opinion was his ability to remember and spout off long complicated monologues. You were still trying to catch up to something he said a paragraph ago, when he was hitting you with brilliant new thoughts.

The guy was a genius!
14-02-2011, 03:05 PM
George Carlin was an amazing man, philosophy for the layman. Every show was broke down well so that everyone could understand, and entertaining enough people wanted to listen. George Carlin is often quoted and not just by Atheists. If there's something most people can agree with, it's that this man understood something. My opinion of George Carlin, is that he is one of the all time best Atheist spokesmen.

And good job being the one to call out George Carlin Buddy Christ, since your photo and name are coming directly from George Carlin's mouth.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Carlin is one of my all time favorite comedians and philosophers. Most everyone else is a mere imitator of this genius.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-02-2011, 12:32 AM
He's one of my all time favorite comedians and I was genuinely sad when he died.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
15-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Mine, too.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-02-2011, 04:41 AM
(15-02-2011 12:32 AM)aesirus Wrote:  He's one of my all time favorite comedians and I was genuinely sad when he died.

My wife and I saw Carlin in DC about a year or so before he died. He was fresh out of his latest round of rehab and was a little off, but it was easy to appreciate him.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user