Atheist Apologists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Atheist Apologists
I have noticed that there are some atheists who constantly defend religion, no matter what is said about it. Now if they like religion, that's fine, but it seems they have the need to defend it. They always say "but I don't hate religion" which seems to me an attempt to tell the religious folk "Don't worry, I'm one of the good ones!" It seems as if they still carry that negative connotation towards atheism and may be on the verge of self-hating.

What do you think? Are atheist apologists defending religion too much? Or are they just being themselves?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: Atheist Apologists
We shouldn't defend something that has caused such wastefulness death and stupidity especially since we don't believe in it. Religion can be good and I won't doubt that but we shouldn't apologize about our stance.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

“The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
17-05-2012, 03:18 PM
No they just don't hate religion. I don't hate Christianity, I just don't believe in it. You don't hate pink unicorns even though you don't believe in them.

What I do hate though is the organisation and indoctrination of religion. People telling their children from 4 years of age that their religion is the right one, to never question, homosexuals are an abomination. That is what I hate.

The belief in a god, is not something I hate, it's something I just don't believe in.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
17-05-2012, 04:00 PM
@Scott D

I hope you realize at some point that you're sounding an awful like a Theist here.

Joe Blow Theist: Why do Atheists deny God so much? I mean, if they genuinely disbelieve, that's fine. But I don't see why they go through such great lengths to deny God as if they secretly believe God exists.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
17-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Atheists defend people. Theists defend doctrine. That's why theists suck. Especially that KC character. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2012, 05:11 PM
(17-05-2012 03:01 PM)Scott D Wrote:  I have noticed that there are some atheists who constantly defend religion, no matter what is said about it. Now if they like religion, that's fine, but it seems they have the need to defend it. They always say "but I don't hate religion" which seems to me an attempt to tell the religious folk "Don't worry, I'm one of the good ones!" It seems as if they still carry that negative connotation towards atheism and may be on the verge of self-hating.

What do you think? Are atheist apologists defending religion too much? Or are they just being themselves?
While there are very bad things that can be said about religion I don't feel the need to perpetually rubbish it.

There are Christian missionaries that do great work in impoverished third world countries; why should I hate those people?

If you reverse your argument it could be claimed that ultra militant atheists need a strong degree of hate to justify their position.

He Hoc , got your picture ready? Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post