Atheist Bible Contradiction Challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Atheist Bible Contradiction Challenge
I challenge all skeptics of the Bible to present me with alleged contradictions in the Bible. There is one of me and many of you, so I must limit one contradiction from each poster at a time. When I have addressed the first contradiction you have presented then you can add another one etc.

An aside. I'm going to ignore hyperbole and personal attacks from here on and I'm going to refrain from doing the same. If I get multiple posts of this nature from a poster I'm going to put that poster on ignore. I don't have time for this shit.
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 10:27 PM
RE: Atheist Bible Contradiction Challenge
(20-06-2013 08:55 PM)David Lee Wrote:  I don't have time for this shit.

Like he's SO busy with his plagiarizing duties for Jebus. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-06-2013, 12:13 AM

Sorry Bucky, I had to put you on ignore. I can see you made a post but I can't read it unless I open it up manually, and I'm not going to do that until you give me your word you will refrain from personal attacks.
Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2013, 12:20 AM
How is it that God is a God of Love (<- note capital letters!!!) but yet in much of the old testament he spends his time ordering the Hebrews to slaughter other tribes in various cruel and unusual ways, as well as doing a bit of DIY himself drowning people and making the Earth swallow them ?
21-06-2013, 12:38 AM
(21-06-2013 12:13 AM)David Lee Wrote:  Sorry Bucky, I had to put you on ignore. I can see you made a post but I can't read it unless I open it up manually, and I'm not going to do that until you give me your word you will refrain from personal attacks.

Please. Whatever you do. KEEP me on ignore. That, along with your prior neg rep, from one of your other sock-puppets is a badge of honor which I wear proudly. You have nothing whatsoever to offer anyway. You have proven that over and over. Thumbsup

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Our glorious leader has created a page full of the contradictions you refer to. (I'll just link it here for convenience http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/b...radictions )

So why don't we start at the top...

Genesis 1:11-12 and 1:26-27 Trees came before Adam.
Genesis 2:4-9 Trees came after Adam.

Genesis 1:20-21 and 26-27 Birds were created before Adam.
Genesis 2:7 and 2:19 Birds were created after Adam.

Genesis 1:24-27 Animals were created before Adam.
Genesis 2:7 and 2:19 Animals were created after Adam.

Genesis 1:26-27 Adam and Eve were created at the same time.
Genesis 2:7 and 2:21-22 Adam was created first, woman sometime later.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post
21-06-2013, 01:01 AM

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
21-06-2013, 01:11 AM
(21-06-2013 12:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 12:13 AM)David Lee Wrote:  Sorry Bucky, I had to put you on ignore. I can see you made a post but I can't read it unless I open it up manually, and I'm not going to do that until you give me your word you will refrain from personal attacks.

Please. Whatever you do. KEEP me on ignore. That, along with your prior neg rep, from one of your other sock-puppets is a badge of honor which I wear proudly. You have nothing whatsoever to offer anyway. You have proven that over and over. Thumbsup

Hey Bucky, this is actually pretty cool! Now we can write and say anything we want about him and he'll have no idea because he will be ignoring us and cannot see what we write or post. The world is our oyster!

[+] 4 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
21-06-2013, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2013 04:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-06-2013 01:11 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 12:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Please. Whatever you do. KEEP me on ignore. That, along with your prior neg rep, from one of your other sock-puppets is a badge of honor which I wear proudly. You have nothing whatsoever to offer anyway. You have proven that over and over. Thumbsup

Hey Bucky, this is actually pretty cool! Now we can write and say anything we want about him and he'll have no idea because he will be ignoring us and cannot see what we write or post. The world is our oyster!

So he says he hates "religion". I took a quick look at his bizarre website when I went to Skeptics Annotated Bible. He actually has a very defined religion. He may be the only member of it, but it's very definitely a (strange) belief system. In a way it resembles Egor's. From the little study he's done, he knows the tradiaional crap is unfounded, but he can't quite give it up, either. This way he gets to straddle the fence, and still tell himself he's a person of faith. With no soul, and no heaven, the entire house of cards is useless. He prefers not to move out anyway. He has "positions" on all the fundie's favorite subjects, AND of course he thinks he needs to preach the "proper" way to interpret the Babble with respect to each of them. Except, just like Egor, he's the only member of his bizarre little cult. How many insane nut-jobs throughout the centuries have decided they, and they alone have *the* correct way to read the Babble ? He changes words and meanings at his whim. He's just another crazy among millions of crazies, who ALL believe they and they alone have THE real truth. And of course they NEED to iinform the masses THEY have the *truth*. Yawn.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-06-2013, 03:04 AM
The Inconsistent Jesus
Jesus said,
“The father is in me, and I in Him” (John 10:38, NJB,) and
“I and my father are one” (John 14:30, NJB.)
So he is a part of, and equal to his father, but he also spoke of his father as someone else:
“For the father is greater than I” (John 14:28, NJB,) and
“For God sent his son into the world not to condemn the world, but so that through him the world might be saved.” (John 3:17, NJB.)

In the fourth century some Christians murdered others over controversies about whether Jesus was God or a man. If John’s contributors had come to some consensus, maybe these fanatics wouldn’t have lost their lives and the Bible wouldn’t be so confusing.

Jesus said,
“Were I to testify on my own behalf, my testimony would not be valid” (John 5:31, NJB.) This was followed a few chapters later by
“It is true that I am testifying on my own behalf, but my testimony is still valid…” (John 8:14, NJB.)

Jesus said,
“You have the poor with you always, but you will not always have me” (Matt. 26:11, NJB.) Then he said,
“Know that I am with you always, yes to the end of time” (Matt. 28:20, NJB.)

Jesus said,
“Blessed are the peacemakers: they shall be recognized as children of God” (Matt. 5:9, NJB.) He then said,
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth: it is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword” (Matt. 10:34, NJB,) and
“If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one” (Luke 22:36, NJB.)

Jesus said,
“Do not make your way to gentile territory, and do not enter any Samaritan town; go instead to the lost sheep of the House of Israel’” (Matt. 10:5–6, NJB.)
Then he contradicted himself:
“Go, therefore, make disciples of all nations; baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19, NJB.)

There were too many punters putting words in Jesus’ mouth. A public figure that made gaffes like this today would be laughed at.

But wait....I have more....

Paul and Judaism
Devout Jews despised Paul and rejected his ramblings. The idea that their mysterious, perfect, one and only God could be incarnated in a Christ was completely foreign to them. They refused to believe that their God could die, or that a Christ’s death somehow addressed a primordial, sinful nature of humankind. For them the kingdom of God promised in scripture wasn’t in heaven, but on earth. Their messiah wasn’t to be sold as a soul’s savior, but was to be a flesh and blood leader of the Jews. He was to herald in a glorious age in which Israel ruled and brought pagans under the glory of their god, Yahweh. He was to build the Temple (Ezek. 37:26–28), gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isa. 43:5–6), and bring an end to Roman rule. He was supposed to stop all exploitation, corruption, famine, disease, and war. Paul’s fictional Christ had done none of this!

Paul claimed:
“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified” (Gal. 2;16, KJV), and

“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law” (Gal. 3:13, KJV), and

“Before faith came, we were allowed no freedom by the Law; we were being looked after till faith was revealed. The law was to be our guardian until the Christ came and we could be justified by faith. Now that that time has come we are no longer under that guardian, and you are, all of you, sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. All baptized in Christ, you have all clothed yourself in Christ, and there are no more distinctions between Jew and Greek, slave and free, male and female, but all of you are one in Christ Jesus.” (Gal. 3:23–28, NJB).

Traditional Jews would have none of this. They wouldn’t be Jewish if they did. They believed - and still do - that the way to find favor with God was to obey “the Law” - that is, the Torah, as taught by Moses. There’s no mention in their scriptures of an end to the covenant God made with their ancestors on Mount Sinai. Jews regarded the Law as a gift from their God, not a curse, or an imposition on freedom. Why would they give up centuries of tradition to believe Paul? They knew there was no such thing as a “new covenant,” other than in Paul’s overly active imagination.

Imagine a scientologist grabbing a microphone during mass at the Vatican and proclaiming that Ron Hubbard was more important than Jesus. Paul was a first century scientologist.

Paul had an ambivalent attitude to Jewish scripture, which varied with the audience he was writing to. At times he interpreted it to justify his own ideas, such as when writing to “Hellenized” Jews in the diaspora. Yet when writing to gentiles he claimed parts of scripture were redundant.

Yeshua had died over a decade before Paul appeared on the scene, and I think would’ve been offended by the idea that his death could somehow give Gentiles a ticket to heaven. He would’ve cursed Romans (who did, after all, nail him to a cross) with his dying breath, not imagine that his God—whom he would never have thought of as his temporal sire—would grant them a place in heaven!

Jesus said,
“Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish them but complete them. I tell you solemnly, till heaven and earth disappear, not one dot, not one little stroke, shall disappear from the Law until its purpose is achieved” (Matt. 5:17–18 JB). Paul and Jesus contradicted each other! So much for Biblical infallibility!

Many people today insist that Jesus came to do away with the Jewish Law. They’re not considering Jesus’ words, but Paul’s (or Paul’s proponents like Luther or Calvin.)

Jews believed God dwelt in the temple, in Jerusalem, Israel’s capital. Paul made a cavalier dismissal of the importance of Israel by suggesting that the Temple wasn’t the only place god resided. He said all believers become a temple for God:
“And that is what we are—the temple of the living God" (2 Cor. 6:15, NJB) and
“Didn’t you realize that you were God’s Temple” (1 Cor. 3:16 JB.)
He was trying to expand God’s influence into the whole world. Yet for most first century Jews this denied the geographical pivot of Judaism.

Jews thought they were Abraham’s descendants and, therefore, a nation of God’s special people. Yet Paul claimed:
"Those therefore who rely on faith receive the same blessing as Abraham, the man of faith." (Gal. 3:9, NJB,) and
“Merely by belonging to Christ you are the posterity of Abraham, the heirs he was promised” (Gal. 3:29, NJB.)

I could go on, and will if you're interested.

I eagerly await your learned response.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Mark Fulton's post