Atheist & Christian marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Atheist & Christian marriage
Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Undecidedfemale's post
16-08-2012, 07:00 AM
RE: Atheist & Christian marriage
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?

From my experience, it is a problem.

Shared values, closeness, etc.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-08-2012, 07:17 AM
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?

The Christian may well become an atheist over time. The biggest hurdle will be the family. I'm speaking from experience.
16-08-2012, 09:30 AM
It's possible, but rather difficult and unlikely.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
16-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I was married to a catholic and never minded going to church. I even tried being a member for a while but it didn't mesh well with my beliefs, and it wasn't like we went to church or anything anyway unless it was a holiday.

I don't think we ever argued about religion. We did argue about just about everything else possible though.

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
16-08-2012, 03:21 PM

It would depend on the people.

There are too many factors that could alter things, which would be the same with any marriage, just in this case it would be about religion or lack thereof.

Although I would also (rhetorically) ask, what is "function properly?"
[+] 2 users Like elemts's post
16-08-2012, 05:03 PM

Worked out fine for me and my wife.

(16-08-2012 07:17 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  The Christian may well become an atheist over time. The biggest hurdle will be the family. I'm speaking from experience.

Yup. That's what I mean by working out fine. Never had any problem with her family, they all knew I was an atheist going in so we just never bothered to discuss religion.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-08-2012, 05:45 AM

Absolutely.

Although, I guess it depends on how much of an issue religion/lack thereof is important to the people.

[Image: pudalo15fa2.png]

Blog.
18-08-2012, 06:52 AM
If you're here, asking this question, then religion/atheism is important to you.
Therefore, it's likely to be an issue in a relationship.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2012, 07:47 AM
This has come up a few times, some of them even on the forum.

When I was an undergrad, my best friend was not only a Christian, but also a conspiracy theorist, holocaust denier, a believer in homeopathic medicine, astrology, and all sorts of crazy psychobabble. One of our professors commented on the fact that we were always together by joking that if we didn't invite him to our wedding, he'd fail us.
My immediate reaction was: "I'd rather fail than marry a Christian."

He was easily my best friend. We were there for each other, we had great fun together, we had all the same interests, and we always argued amicably about the topics above. But the thought of spending my life with him (or just a large chunk of it), raising children with him, making life decisions, etc, was all unthinkable because of his beliefs.

I know not everyone thinks this way, but for me it's a dealbreaker. I think I might just be intolerant Unsure

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 3 users Like Smooshmonster's post