Atheist & Christian marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2012, 08:26 AM
(18-08-2012 07:47 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  This has come up a few times, some of them even on the forum.

When I was an undergrad, my best friend was not only a Christian, but also a conspiracy theorist, holocaust denier, a believer in homeopathic medicine, astrology, and all sorts of crazy psychobabble. One of our professors commented on the fact that we were always together by joking that if we didn't invite him to our wedding, he'd fail us.
My immediate reaction was: "I'd rather fail than marry a Christian."

He was easily my best friend. We were there for each other, we had great fun together, we had all the same interests, and we always argued amicably about the topics above. But the thought of spending my life with him (or just a large chunk of it), raising children with him, making life decisions, etc, was all unthinkable because of his beliefs.

I know not everyone thinks this way, but for me it's a dealbreaker. I think I might just be intolerant Unsure

I didn't know you were friends with Bemore. Tongue

I find it ironic that I had the same intolerance the other way. There was no way I would have married a non-Christian, and at that, very little chance I would have married outside my own denomination. Yet, I would meet women for whom this was not the same issue. And now...the pendulum has swung to the other side where I too would have to say if someone was religious it would be a deal breaker for me as well.

Reading back, it's obvious I've done a good job of making sure I never got married. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
18-08-2012, 10:59 PM
RE: Atheist & Christian marriage
If you both are smart enough to remember the nature that funded your love for each other, then there is no excuse why it wouldn't be like any other marriage. No marriage functions "properly," it just all a circumstance of how well you both can react to time, to circumstance, to criticism, to change, to great responsibilities. There is no such thing as a marriage that inherits the ability to balance all that equally, regardless of your commitment you both still have separate personalities and wants. Many marriages fail because they were both convinced that all of it can be balanced equally (of course others fail because a 19 year old boy is too horny to place his libido behind his partner's self-respect.) My fiance is Baptist, I'm Atheist, she's black, I'm white, she's thick, I'm thin. Our love is not based on why were different, but benefits from it because after almost a decade long relationship we've learned about compromise and enjoying life from outside the biased vision of faith-based boundaries. Marriage is a man-made commitment, which makes it more vulnerable to failure when the bodies that make it up were brought together (most of the time) through natural and emotional circumstance.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post
19-08-2012, 01:51 AM
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?

From my own personal experience ..... NOPE!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
19-08-2012, 03:33 AM
(18-08-2012 10:59 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  My fiance is Baptist, I'm Atheist, she's black, I'm white, she's thick, I'm thin.

Never ever tell your partner that she's thick... only bad things can follow from that faux pas. Shy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Red Celt's post
19-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Don't enter a commitment hoping or expecting your partner to change. Don't plant that poison. Things are going ok so far for me and my wife. It's complicated when you both start out as part of the same faith, met and married in church then one day: you're an atheist.
It's really days for us as yet, about a year since I changed my stance officially.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
20-08-2012, 03:48 AM
(18-08-2012 07:47 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  "I'd rather fail than marry a Christian."

He was easily my best friend. We were there for each other, we had great fun together, we had all the same interests, and we always argued amicably about the topics above. But the thought of spending my life with him (or just a large chunk of it), raising children with him, making life decisions, etc, was all unthinkable because of his beliefs.

I know not everyone thinks this way, but for me it's a dealbreaker. I think I might just be intolerant Unsure

I absolutely agree with this.
My answer to the OP is "No way in hell." Thumbsup

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
20-08-2012, 09:15 AM
(18-08-2012 08:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I didn't know you were friends with Bemore. Tongue

Who you calling a christian Censored

Big Grin

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
20-08-2012, 09:26 AM
(20-08-2012 09:15 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 08:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I didn't know you were friends with Bemore. Tongue

Who you calling a christian Censored

Big Grin

Isn't it just one big conspiracy? It's a wonder you're not part of it! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-08-2012, 09:30 AM
(20-08-2012 09:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 09:15 AM)bemore Wrote:  Who you calling a christian Censored

Big Grin

Isn't it just one big conspiracy? It's a wonder you're not part of it! Big Grin

You know too much Dodgy

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
20-08-2012, 09:35 AM
(20-08-2012 09:30 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 09:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Isn't it just one big conspiracy? It's a wonder you're not part of it! Big Grin

You know too much Dodgy

Uh oh. I might be lynched for real now. Confused

~Izel