Atheist & Christian marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 06:13 PM
RE: Atheist & Christian marriage
If children are in the future, there could be major issues. So much so that I would be cautious of the marriage altogether. Inevitably it will come up: Do we raise the child in or out of the church? Even if discussed far in advance of having children, it is likely opinions will change over time and what was supposed to be a decided point will become a heated debate with the future and thoughts of a child in the balance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes anselm's post
21-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I've never been married, but I've dated 2 atheists, 1 being fairly serious. (I'm a Christian) Our beliefs never got in the way during the run of the relationship, but marriage would likely be a different story, as would the raising kids part. I'm all for my kids choosing what they want to believe. It's not my place to tell them who/what to believe in. I feel that if I were to marry an atheist, I'd have little problems. I can't speak for her, but on my end it doesn't sound like any type of deal breaker.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost0fBanquo's post
16-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I recently became an atheist. My wife and I were both Christians. She still is. It's difficult. A lot of time there's an elephant in the room. She still goes to church and is involved in some "ministries." We have had a few talks about my beliefs. They have gotten better - less confrontational and more open. But, it's still hard. Evangelical Christians like to incorporate their religion into everything, giving thanks for meals and praying for anything, posting stuff on Facebook like Bible verses. My wife asked me not to attack her friend's posts so I've taken to posting verses from the same book that show how unfair, brutal, and mean the Christian God really is. I do this on my page so as not to directly attack anyone. I'm trying to be more positive and less about bashing religion but I find it very difficult. I think it may be the phase I'm in. Hopefully, we can make it through this period without too much bloodshed (figuratively speaking). Marriage is a journey. Either we will figure out how to navigate these water or one of us my end up jumping ship.

(16-08-2012 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?

From my experience, it is a problem.

Shared values, closeness, etc.
[+] 2 users Like DenInOly's post
16-03-2015, 03:26 PM
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?

I'm married to a Christian. We sometimes have intresting conversations about our points of view but there has never been a problem. She is pretty liberal minded so perhaps that has a lot to do with it. She's one of those "It gives me comfort" Christians. I see no problem with that.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
16-03-2015, 03:55 PM
(18-08-2012 06:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you're here, asking this question, then religion/atheism is important to you.
Therefore, it's likely to be an issue in a relationship.

Pretty much this. If it worked for you, you wouldn't be asking it (OP).

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-03-2015, 06:06 AM
It's okay not to tolerate insanity. My wife's a Christian = my wife speaks to an invisible tyrant. It's like electing to be 1984's Winston Smith! How soon before her Big Brother starts watching YOU?
18-03-2015, 06:46 AM
(18-03-2015 06:06 AM)Kitson Wrote:  It's okay not to tolerate insanity. My wife's a Christian = my wife speaks to an invisible tyrant. It's like electing to be 1984's Winston Smith! How soon before her Big Brother starts watching YOU?

I have no idea WTF you're on about, but jolly good show Thumbsup Mustn't let the side down what? Bit of rumpy-pumpy across the religion bar and next thing you know you've got a generation of hippies Shy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-03-2015, 07:13 AM
So a christian will marry and devote their life to their atheist spouse knowing that spouse will not be with them in the afterlife and also their spouse will be tortured while they will be living the eternal orgasm.

Makes sense.

[+] 1 user Likes H4ym4n's post
18-03-2015, 07:13 AM
I'm marrying an atheist in may (if the state of OK lets us, I have two lawyers in my family willing to help if they don't). I don't know if I would marry a christian, however my dad did, and he and my mom have been together for 30+ years. To be fair my mom isn't an evangelical, she's catholic. My dad has told me that he was dating a woman before my mom with whom he broke up with due to her fundamentalism. He said he could deal with her believing something that might be true, such as the existence of god or Christianity, but with things that clearly weren't true he simply didn't want to put up with, and I quote, "someone who is that deluded."
18-03-2015, 09:21 AM
(18-03-2015 07:13 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  So a christian will marry and devote their life to their atheist spouse knowing that spouse will not be with them in the afterlife and also their spouse will be tortured while they will be living the eternal orgasm.

Makes sense.

It "works" for my wife and me in that she doesn't believe in hell.

As to the topic of this several-year-old thread, it was a lot harder for us when I first "came out". My wife has gotten more used to it and has mostly moved on.