Atheist & Christian marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 09:45 AM
RE: Atheist & Christian marriage
Well a cafeteria christian (pick and choose) or CHRIno (christian in name only) is the way to get around it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2015, 06:10 PM
(18-03-2015 09:45 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Well a cafeteria christian (pick and choose) or CHRIno (christian in name only) is the way to get around it.

After our last conversation, she strikes me as more of a Christian-flavored deist. She's Christian in that's how she was raised, but when pressed, she said that belief in Jesus isn't actually that important to her world view.
22-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Just thought I'd chime in as well. I just joined this forum like a few days ago...

Anyways, I find this topic interesting as I (an atheist of Malaysian chinese background) am married to a German lady, whose family are somewhat religious... But in a mild way.

Both parents are pastors (Lutherans), and one of the 2 sister-in-laws is now doing her Vikariat (or vicariate?... to me it's like housemanship for a doctor before they can practise as a doctor).

We're together now for 10 years, and married for 6. Things have been fine all these while, and it's still going fine... except for a small uneasiness that I have since our son is there. We've agreed early on, that we'll not introduce religion to his life... and she's keeping up her end of the bargain, but the problem is my mother-in-law...

She used to be the Provost (like the highest pastor member of the region that they are from), and she's also the figure that sort of dictates the tradition at home... And she'd insists on prayer/song before food at her home, and daily singing during the advent...

I am quite sure she's not trying consciously to indoctrinate my son, but I just don't feel comfortable with this... I'm telling myself, that this discomfort could also stem from this mother-in-law-son-in-law interaction...

Looking forward to some comments Wink

thanks!
23-10-2015, 08:06 AM
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?
Mine does.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
23-10-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm an atheist who was raised Methodist married to an agnostic deist who was raised in a Jewish/Catholic hodge-podge. We have two sons, one is 5 months old so he basically believes in the god of clean diapers and the other is almost 5 years and if he has any kind of spiritual inkling it'd be towards The Force, not sure yet if Jedi or Sith.

So far it's all working out fine ideologically-speaking. We all "believe" that family comes first, everything else a very distant second.
23-10-2015, 09:07 AM
(23-10-2015 08:06 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(15-08-2012 10:03 PM)Undecidedfemale Wrote:  Do you believe a mixed marriage between an Atheist and a Christian could function properly?
Mine does.

Mine does too... kinda. We have our issues but our philosophical differences are fairly low down on the argument agenda.

As Brits though, her CofE church is pretty relaxed about most things and quite down-to-Earth. She's been fairly tolerant of my opinionated, outspoken atheism with our two preteen, self-identifying atheist kids. But now she's enrolled in a church course - something about bringing your children closer to God. This, I see as a cynical ploy to get my youngest into one of the decent local CofE secondary schools in a couple of years... a ploy which worked a treat for their excellent primary school a few years ago!

Anyway, I'm now no longer allowed to enjoy my little anti-religion rants at the dinner table. And I've got an increasingly millitant Christian in the house (OK, equal and opposite to the opinionated, and outspoken atheist that has ruled philosophical roost for most of their lives).

How's this gonna end? I suspect that the kids may come to resent the stance that Mum has now adopted. But I shall take a step back and try not to rock the boat (cos I'd love for MicroSiz to get in to the school). But it's going to be quite a feat for us all to negotiate our way through this rather messy quagmire.

I'll let you know...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
[+] 1 user Likes Siz's post
23-10-2015, 09:11 AM
There's no way I could marry a religious person, but then I go pretty much batshit over irrationality, so I guess tolerance isn't my strong suit. It does limit the relationship pool though. If it's not a big deal to either party it can work fine I'm guessing.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
23-10-2015, 09:46 AM
I was never attracted to religious men or believers. In conversing with a guy, if he mentioned going to church or had a strong belief system in any religion I was immediately turned off. I kinda sifted them out of my life. I dated a couple of Jewish guys but they were secular Jews.

When I met my husband there were two other guys interested in me, both were religious. My husband won out and him being irreligious was a major selling point, among other things. *cough well endowed cough*

My husband was raised as a Catholic and went to a Catholic elementary school but hated those damned nuns. He has a lot of mean, angry nun stories. My husband has always said that what those frustrated nuns needed was a night of wild sex! LOL.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post