Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply
I'm not out about my atheism as much as I'd like, so I'm not how to respond -- or even if I should.

[Image: april-no-god-xmas_zpscxapekms.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2015, 08:51 PM
RE: Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply
(17-11-2015 08:46 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm not out about my atheism as much as I'd like, ...

Dafuq that even mean?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Hmm, I might respond if it were me just so I can point out the origins of Christmas, the traditions of the season (which have very little to do with Christianity), the joy of getting together with your family and watching them open gifts. The smell of the tree, the "pretty" lights. The festive mood and decor.

I grew up celebrating Christmas every year, but the ONLY mention of religion was at Grandma's house when they prayed before dinner.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
17-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Not many know I'm an atheist. Only about 3 or 4 people know.

But here's how I replied:
Can't speak for anyone else, but for many the religious aspect isn't that important. After all, the tree isn't a Christian symbol. Nor is a Yule log. And being with family doesn't necessarily require a religion for anyone. Besides, so many these days just give gifts, but that's it. How are they any different if they aren't supporting the poor through food or necessities?
[+] 6 users Like Clockwork's post
17-11-2015, 08:55 PM
A good non hostile response would be, "what's wrong with people who just enjoy the holiday spirit and getting together with family and friends? There is a secular aspect to the season and everyone should be free to celebrate in their own way."

Anything more than that and it's not worth the fight if you ask me...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
17-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Remember that Christmas piggy backed onto the Winter Solstice celebrations. This is what I am celebrating with friends, family, and the more secular symbols of the season like decorated trees and Yule logs.

Invisible, undetectable results don’t count
17-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Free gifts, obviously. Who doesn't like free gifts?

17-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Ask them why they celebrate or observe:

St.Patrick’s Day if they aren’t Irish
Cinco de Mayo if they aren’t Mexican
Veteran’s Day of they aren’t retired military
Mardi Gras if they aren’t Catholic
Martin Luther King day if they aren’t black
Holloween if they aren’t Pagan

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
17-11-2015, 10:11 PM
(17-11-2015 08:52 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I grew up celebrating Christmas every year, but the ONLY mention of religion was at Grandma's house when they prayed before dinner.

Did we have the same grandmother? Sounds just like my childhood.

My parents believe there is a god (I don't know why) but we haven't done anything on or near December 25th that comes remotely close to religious since my maternal grandmother died many years ago. My mom always puts up decorations around that time, but I'm happy to say none of them have religious connotations. Big Grin We usually "celebrate" that time of the year just by gathering as a family. No prayer, no jesus, no god, no nothing. Yay! Just family taking time to spend a few days together. One doesn't have to be religious to celebrate in December or any other month or day, and imo it's ignorant for believers to think otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes smeli's post
17-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Heh, I haven't been to a religious service in a church (I used to be Catholic) in so many years that I forget when. Maybe about 6 years ago, when my FIL died. I've been to about 3 funerals and (I think, 1) wedding in a church in the last 20 years. My wife hasn't pressured me to go to church, and since my MIL moved in with us (about 5 years ago) she hasn't been to church. We don't pray before meals, either. My wife's friend's daughter got married last weekend. They had a really nice outdoor ceremony with some guy officiating. He kept it short (bride is really shy, and didn't want to stand up there for a long time- really sweet kid), and acknowledged that the state was the officially recognized authority for a marriage. It was funny, as he made the religious references to marriage, that amongst the brides' maids and grooms' men, I could see some eyerolls and smirks. Interesting wedding. I looked at the wedding party, and there were Asians, Hispanics, whites, and people of color. Beautiful wedding. Nobody was judgmental about the fact that they have been together for 5 years, and already have two kids, it was just mentioned. Only in California, I told my wife. Make of that what you will...
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post