Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 08:40 AM
RE: Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply
I guess you could also have gone sarcastic: "I agree, how dare people who aren't religious celebrate christmas. We need to take back christmas and get rid of all the pagan influences, like the christmas tree, the yule log, the mistletoe and the presents which came from the pagan festival of saturnalia. It should just be about the nativity. You know you can't be a real christian unless you have a nativity scene. If we purify christmas like this, this will stop nonbelievers from celebrating it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
18-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply
Now she and others are making comments and jokes about presents. She replied to my comment. I don't think that quieted them, but no one has replied to me yet.
18-11-2015, 09:56 AM
RE: Atheist Christmas - Not Sure If I Should Reply
There's numerous reasons we atheists celebrate christmas:

-We were raised Christian, and it became a tradition. Secular Christians if you will.
-Our families celebrate Christmas because they're Christian, and we celebrate with them
-Christmas has become more and more secular. There's no biblical justification for it. It's not really all that different from Thanksgiving which doesn't require any particular religion to celebrate.
-One might believe Jesus was an actual person, just not god, and can celebrate the birth of a highly influential figure.