Atheist Christopher Hitchens could be 'saved' by evangelical Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Atheist Christopher Hitchens could be 'saved' by evangelical Christian
Health News

[Image: hitchens_1857663c.jpg]
Christopher Hitchens is a guinea pig for a cancer treatment that involves mapping his genetic make-up
Christopher Hitchens, one of the world's best known atheists, is receiving a revolutionary new treatment for his cancer pioneered by an evangelical Christian scientist, he has revealed in an interview with the Telegraph Magazine. (Full Article)

If it works, what a wonderful testament to cancer treatment. I would hate to see CH leave this world due to cancer. He should live till he's 100 and continue to help inspire people to think outside the god box.
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 07:39 PM

RE: Atheist Christopher Hitchens could be 'saved' by evangelical Christian
I don't understand why the media has to focus on the fact that Dr. Francis Collins is Christian. Who cares?

The important thing here is that Mr. Hitchen's life is on the line here and modern medical science may be able to save it.
28-03-2011, 07:51 PM
(28-03-2011 07:39 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I don't understand why the media has to focus on the fact that Dr. Francis Collins is Christian. Who cares?

Irony.

(28-03-2011 07:39 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  The important thing here is that Mr. Hitchen's life is on the line here and modern medical science may be able to save it.

But I agree that this is the larger point.

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 07:57 PM
(28-03-2011 07:39 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I don't understand why the media has to focus on the fact that Dr. Francis Collins is Christian. Who cares?

The important thing here is that Mr. Hitchen's life is on the line here and modern medical science may be able to save it.

There are some out there who would like to secretly point and laugh about it behind their hands. Maybe not so secretly, if it works out well for him.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
28-03-2011, 09:05 PM
As long as the doctor isn't including prayer as a legitimate part of the treatment I guess it's cool.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
29-03-2011, 03:20 PM
The true irony here being that if it works, then the doctor and Christians will think it's God's work.

Hell, if it doesn't work they'll say the same.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
29-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey, Truth Addict.

Quote:I don't understand why the media has to focus on the fact that Dr. Francis Collins is Christian. Who cares?

Come on now. Christopher Hitchens has called Evangelical Christians his enemy and that he wants to wipe them all out and he has done so very publically. It's not even a question why it's a story that a man who is crusading to destroy a people accepts help from one of them.

This video was posted on TTA a while back. Starting at 5:42:
"Excuse me, you are my enemy."
"Your preachments are evil and they're a direct threat to the survival of civilisation. So if you don't consider me an enemy, then you don't know an enemy when you see or hear one."
"Go love your own enemies, don't be loving mine. My enemies are the theocratic fascists. I don't love them, I want to destroy them."

Hey, T13.

Quote:There are some out there who would like to secretly point and laugh about it behind their hands.

Hiding nothing. I'll laugh at the man to his face. He wrote a book called "How Religion Poisons Everything" and he's getting help from a deeply religious man. By Hitchens’ rationale, Hitchens is going to be poisoned by this.

Hey, Condition Yellow.

Quote:The true irony here being that if it works, then the doctor and Christians will think it's God's work.

Hell, if it doesn't work they'll say the same.

I think that this is demeaning to Dr. Collins. I mean in the sense that he's a deeply religious man, yes of course, it's God's work. But I don't think that this man thinks that God sprinkled magic dust to make it work.

Quote:Dr Collins is a former director of the National Human Genome Research Project and is now the director of America’s National Institutes of Health.

He is the author of a bestselling book, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief.

Clearly the man is a man of science, a preeminent man of science, as well as being a man of faith. I think that a lot of people talk about Evangelicals like they shun science like the Amish shun Porsches, and that science and faith are incompatible, but not only does this guy embrace science, he's better at it than most people and he wrote a book about how his science and his faith meet. Clearly he's a good enough scientist that Christopher Hitchens is trusting his life to him.

When all is said and done, Christopher Hitchens is a human being, so right on, beat that cancer. Straight up. But at the same time, he's said some outlandish shit and not only talked smack about Dr. Collins' people but has threatened them. Hitchens, beyond doubt, deserves to be called out on that. And if he's not able to apologise publically for his vitriol, then he's nothing but an abject hypocrite.

"All Christians suck. Except this guy. He's the goods because he's of value to me and I exonerate him of all the stuff I've been bad mouthing for years." It's like someone saying, "Black people are awful and we’re better off without them. Except Bob. He's the goods because he's not uppity."

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
29-03-2011, 07:50 PM

Hey Ghost,
When do you think you'll give some of that peace, love and empathy to Christopher Hitchens?
29-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Hey Ghost

Hitchins is not trying to wipe out people, he is trying to wipe out belief systems.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
30-03-2011, 12:26 AM
@ghost
How is it god's work? Isn't the work of scientists in their respective fields since and even before evidence based medicine began? And if it was god's work, didn't he also give hitchens cancer, among other attrocities that he let happen?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like daemonowner's post