Atheist Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Atheist Church
I know this seems like an oxymoron, but I did see an ad for this recently. If you define the term 'church' as a group of people of like minds and values gathering together then I guess it would make sense. Unfortunately, this is another word that believers have hijacked and it is now almost synonymous with a religious event. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this. Consider

Rob Truman, USN Ret.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes robtruman's post
01-10-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: Atheist Church
no fucking way.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
I'm not a fan.

I agree the idea has been twisted by religious types to make atheism appear to be some sort of belief system.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
01-10-2017, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 11:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There are communities of non-believers who meet in defunct ex-churches. The word "church" was used to translate a Greek word "ekklesia" (meaning "called out" ie a public assembly of free men / voters) which was used to translate a Hebrew word meaning "assembly", hence "ecclesiastical". The actual word "church" has other origins, (I think). Nobody gets all that crap. Just call it "club", (but then it wouldn't be tax deductible).
Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-10-2017, 10:31 PM
While we could refer to some central node of communication for secular humanist and skeptic (for exemple the atheist blogosphere) as the ''Atheist Church'' and a few books from people like Darwin, Dawkins, Hitchen or Dennett as the ''Atheist Bible'', these are parlance to illustrate the idea of a community that share a common space, common belief and a common source to articulate and transmit those beliefs. It can be interesting to compare traditionnal Churches to ideological movement like secular humanism and skepticism because one replace the other one while retaining some element of social structure like the idea of congregation, semminars and social gathering. But, comparing any ideological movement to a religion and a church falls flat; while the two share similarities both are fundamentally different in structure and approach.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post
01-10-2017, 10:54 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with them, but it sounds like Unitarian Universalism. Does anyone know if UU's require a belief in a deity, or if they proselytize? I went to a UU church service once, and it seemed to be about feeling spiritual and just being good people. Oh, and there were donuts.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
01-10-2017, 11:21 PM
(01-10-2017 10:54 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm not terribly familiar with them, but it sounds like Unitarian Universalism. Does anyone know if UU's require a belief in a deity, or if they proselytize? I went to a UU church service once, and it seemed to be about feeling spiritual and just being good people. Oh, and there were donuts.

This promess of donuts intrigues me. Were they good donuts or cheap donuts?

PS: No, UU don't require a faith in any deity, neither do they have any set of clear dogma. The only requirement is belief in humanism, respect of nature and universalism.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post
01-10-2017, 11:24 PM
It seems kind of unlikely to me that atheists have "like minds and values". We all just don't believe something. You can be an atheist and still have your head filled with other bullcrud, or you can be an atheist and be a staunchly scientific skeptic, or anything in between. You can be an atheist and an anti-theist or you can be an atheist and not care if other people are religious or not. Etc.

I don't think we really have enough in common for that. Religious people at least normally have specific teachings they can spend their time talking about.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
01-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Not for me. A forum is all well and good, but gathering with strangers whom I have only one thing in common with, in a building devoted to people like us, doesn't sound fun or productive. Unless there's an interesting author or debate hosted there, of course.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
01-10-2017, 11:32 PM
(01-10-2017 11:24 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It seems kind of unlikely to me that atheists have "like minds and values". We all just don't believe something. You can be an atheist and still have your head filled with other bullcrud, or you can be an atheist and be a staunchly scientific skeptic, or anything in between. You can be an atheist and an anti-theist or you can be an atheist and not care if other people are religious or not. Etc.

I don't think we really have enough in common for that. Religious people at least normally have specific teachings they can spend their time talking about.

Agreed.

Have a Science Club or a Skeptics Club or a D&D Club. But an Atheist Church is just superfluous, much like a 'Not Collecting Stamps' Club or a 'Not Smoking Cigarettes' Help Group would be. I mean, just how much God can we all not be believing in?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post