Atheist Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2017, 06:21 AM
RE: Atheist Church
They're "skeptics" clubs. They have lectures anl shit like that. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2017, 07:17 AM
(01-10-2017 10:03 PM)robtruman Wrote:  I know this seems like an oxymoron, but I did see an ad for this recently. If you define the term 'church' as a group of people of like minds and values gathering together then I guess it would make sense. Unfortunately, this is another word that believers have hijacked and it is now almost synonymous with a religious event. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this. Consider

My cousin and I were talking about this concept a while ago. Neither one of us are believers, but we both grew up in the church and have Christian wives. Also, because he's a pretty good singer, and the his wife's church needed singers (and was willing to pay him), he sang in their choir for quite a while.

Anyway, he was commenting on how there is this certain draw to having a group of like-minded people, and churches provide that along with a pretty strong reinforcement method. He noted how atheism lacks that reinforcement method, but that there are still a lot of positive reasons to hang around with people who share your beliefs.

I can see where he was going with that. I know there are various non-believing groups that meet for a variety of reasons, and I've never felt any reason to do anything more than post on atheist forums. There's not the same draw for me, and I imagine attendance is low for a lot of these groups (at least compared to churches) for the same reasons.
02-10-2017, 07:37 AM
(01-10-2017 10:03 PM)robtruman Wrote:  I know this seems like an oxymoron, but I did see an ad for this recently. If you define the term 'church' as a group of people of like minds and values gathering together then I guess it would make sense. Unfortunately, this is another word that believers have hijacked and it is now almost synonymous with a religious event. Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this. Consider

Okay so ... all atheists on this forum belong to ....

The Church of Seth?

Does that have a nice ring to it? Oh wait! Here comes Seth ... with a lighter ... and a torch ... and and and ...

Burnt the fucking thing to the ground.

Drinking Beverage

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-10-2017, 07:44 AM
(01-10-2017 10:54 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm not terribly familiar with them, but it sounds like Unitarian Universalism. Does anyone know if UU's require a belief in a deity, or if they proselytize? I went to a UU church service once, and it seemed to be about feeling spiritual and just being good people. Oh, and there were donuts.
They advertise as a "non-creedal", "covenental" religion, so no, you don't have to subscribe to any particular beliefs and they openly welcome atheists, Buddhists, whatever. They don't advertise themselves as "post-Christian" but that is what I think of them as, because they are the love-child of the merger of the already-eye-wateringly-liberal Universalist and Unitarian churches a little under 60 years ago. Those were already widely considered heretical by most Christians, as they disbelieved in the Trinity and believed in Universal Reconciliation. So I think at the time of the merger they effectively said fuck it, we're just not even going to try to provide sops to Christian sensibilities anymore.
02-10-2017, 07:48 AM
(02-10-2017 04:34 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Beyond a certain age, I distrusted the coercive affects of belonging to social groups.

Thanks for putting that into words, I feel the same way.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. ~ Groucho Marx

Maybe I should rethink this whole TTA thing. Consider

Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
(02-10-2017 07:37 AM)Free Wrote:  

Okay so ... all atheists on this forum belong to ....

The Church of Seth?

Does that have a nice ring to it? Oh wait! Here comes Seth ... with a lighter ... and a torch ... and and and ...

Burnt the fucking thing to the ground.

Drinking Beverage

Where the hell have you been?
I now see you’ve been back for a week, hope the sabbatical was re-energizing. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-10-2017, 07:54 AM
(02-10-2017 05:03 AM)jennybee Wrote:  To me, it's just a word. It has no power. It only has the power you give it. I think atheist churches are a nice idea for those who left faith but yet miss the community of church.
I think you summarize it quite well. It's a perfectly valid thing to do and we'll arguably see more of it as atheism becomes less a minority and thus doesn't so much self-select for loner, go-your-own-way types. However, if you have even an average ability to prevent your eyes from rolling in public, you can get most of those benefits from an actual church while pretending to agree with their beliefs. If your social needs are strong enough, it should be worth the trade-off, at least in a liberal sort of church with a focus on community and doing good works in the world.

That said, the movement the OP is probably talking about (it is called Sunday something-or-other, can't recall) originated a few years ago in the UK, spread to the US and strikes me as already past its peak. At this point in history organizing around a paper-thin premise like atheism is like herding cats. It seems like a good idea until people get tired of the effort involved and of dealing with Other People in a real-world scenario that is apt to degenerate into back biting, hypocrisy, cliquishness and so forth.

The nearest such "congregation" to us is over an hour's drive away and I'd be unlikely to make the effort to walk two blocks up the street to check something like this out compared to any other church or quasi-church. As I've said elsewhere we're checking out a small Episcopal congregation because my wife is social enough to want to consider it. In our case if we actually went so far as to join (fairly unlikely) we would simply say the empty words and pretend to believe. In a liberal congregation that is, I'm convinced what most do anyway. They are so far from a literal interpretation of scripture that assenting to the historic creeds is just going through the motions.
02-10-2017, 08:22 AM
(02-10-2017 07:37 AM)Free Wrote:  Okay so ... all atheists on this forum belong to ....

The Church of Seth?

Who's Seth?
Huh
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Atheist Church
(02-10-2017 07:48 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 04:34 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Beyond a certain age, I distrusted the coercive affects of belonging to social groups.

Thanks for putting that into words, I feel the same way.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. ~ Groucho Marx

Maybe I should rethink this whole TTA thing. Consider

Wink

Like you, I’m not much of a joiner. I resist the whole “atheist church” concept because it feeds the delusion of believers that atheism is a belief system like theirs.

That said, a friend and I went to a humanist society meeting some time after I found a slip of neon green paper slipped inside a copy of “The God Delusion.” It was quite the letdown. There was only one other three dimensional woman there and she was only interested in talking about video games. The guys were comparing IQs for some entrance exam into MENSA. Boring. We never went back. I’m not sure we were even noticed.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
02-10-2017, 08:46 AM
(02-10-2017 07:48 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Maybe I should rethink this whole TTA thing. Consider

Some people obviously have social or emotional issues even on the internet, but I personally find it easy to speak my mind at this forum without feeling pressured one way or another.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post