Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
RE: Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.
(12-11-2012 09:01 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 08:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  I listened; I reject the notion of sanctity for atheism. Sanctity for human rights, maybe.
Then you reject one of the main five principles or morality. Tsk tsk.
http://blog.ted.com/2008/09/17/the_real_differ/
I guess that you are not one of the atheists whose morals I said were better than believers.
Regards
DL

Better?

If you watch the latest Haidt vids (not the TED talk above but the ones you linked to earlier) you will find that his point is that conservatives identify with all SIX principles of morality yet liberals with only three.

Sanctity is not held dear by liberals.

Further, Haidt stresses that a successful society needs a balance of conservatives and liberals to keep each other in check.

Therefore, one is not 'better' than the other. Nor more moral.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
(12-11-2012 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 09:01 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Then you reject one of the main five principles or morality. Tsk tsk.
http://blog.ted.com/2008/09/17/the_real_differ/
I guess that you are not one of the atheists whose morals I said were better than believers.
Regards
DL

Better?

If you watch the latest Haidt vids (not the TED talk above but the ones you linked to earlier) you will find that his point is that conservatives identify with all SIX principles of morality yet liberals with only three.

Further, Haidt stresses that a successful society needs a balance of conservatives and liberals to keep each other in check.

My comment was primarily towards Christians.
Let's do a small moral test shall we and you can tell me if I am wrong.
Christianity is based on human sacrifice and the scapegoating of Jesus.
That notion is embrace by Christians and involves the idea that they should profit from punishing the innocent instead of the guilty.
Do you think that that moral position is better or worse than what atheists believe?
If so, send an e mail to R D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqP_fjBkw...re=related

Regards
DL
12-11-2012, 10:07 AM
(12-11-2012 06:26 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 11:43 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I doubt it can be quantified accurately because of all the closet atheists, but even if I grant your point as accurate (which I don't), growth is growth which flies in the face of atheism dying out.
In demographic terms, if you are not growing then you are shrinking.
Back in the past when Constantine bought the church, there were many more than today. That is why his church burned conflicting books and killed those like Gnostics who would not kowtow.
Even Rome was atheist as it absorbed any and all Gods and just slid them into their menu.
The Christian God was just another feather in their cap.
But hey. Don't let me be the one to try to make you think of the next generation that needs the atheist movement.
Regards
DL
You yourself admitted atheism is growing so the rest of what you said here then is moot. Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Then by all means, do nothing to further it.
Regards
DL
12-11-2012, 11:25 AM
(12-11-2012 09:41 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Better?

My comment was primarily towards Christians.
Let's do a small moral test shall we and you can tell me if I am wrong.
Christianity is based on human sacrifice and the scapegoating of Jesus.
That notion is embrace by Christians and involves the idea that they should profit from punishing the innocent instead of the guilty.
Do you think that that moral position is better or worse than what atheists believe?
If so, send an e mail to R D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqP_fjBkw...re=related

Regards
DL

Methinks there might be a confusion between 'sanctity' and 'sacrifice'.

12-11-2012, 11:45 AM
(12-11-2012 11:02 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Then by all means, do nothing to further it.
Regards
DL
You're confusing 2 concepts:
1) Not organizing
2) Doing nothing

They aren't the same. Individuals can still do plenty without organizing.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
(12-11-2012 06:29 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 01:18 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Maybe the problem is the use of the word "church" which has some fairly religious overtones. A church of atheism, is kinda like the brothel of chasity. As for self centredness your the one by far in the minority on this issue, yet everyone else is at fault because we dont agree with you.
It is what it is and you are.
Regards
DL
Well as your suggestions include we start book burning to protect the children, I'm glad you think I'm wrong if you thought I was in way right I'd need to have a word with myself. If there is a point to atheism, which there isnt, its to offer an alternative to the church, its institutions and practices. Your suggestion that we form up and behave like them would just fracture what consensus there is, with me and I suspect others having to become aatheists.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
(12-11-2012 06:55 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 10:58 PM)Humakt Wrote:  You make a fair point, Sir. Smile
I agree.
He is quite intelligent and you will note that he understands the issue and agrees with me.
Regards
DL
He's said you make an interesting point, hes also said that he doesnt agree with you. Although, hes the person who has come closest to it. I hope I do not put words in your mouth DLT.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.
(12-11-2012 11:02 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Then by all means, do nothing to further it.
Regards
DL

What did you hope to accomplish with this thread exactly?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
(12-11-2012 01:48 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  What did you hope to accomplish with this thread exactly?
We must be organized apparently. Without organization and bureaucrats and people to tell us what to do *atheism will die*. And if it did become a thing of bureaucrats, a deserved death too IMO.