Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 06:18 AM
RE: Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.
(09-11-2012 07:31 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Atheists seem to already want to do more for society towards this end as they seem to be over-represented in religious forums even as statistics say that the atheist in the U. S. and Canada are only at about 5% of the population.
This appears to be true because we don't have a church. If the religious want to hang out with each other, they do it on Sundays. If we want to hang out with each other, we do it in forums and on YouTube comments.

But we make up more than 5% of the population. If you're gonna quote facts, try to cite them or we'll think you're making stuff up (and you are).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 06:26 AM
(11-11-2012 11:43 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 11:41 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Grow. Yes.
In the last what, 300 years, they have gotten to a whopping 5%.
Regards
DL
I doubt it can be quantified accurately because of all the closet atheists, but even if I grant your point as accurate (which I don't), growth is growth which flies in the face of atheism dying out.
In demographic terms, if you are not growing then you are shrinking.
Back in the past when Constantine bought the church, there were many more than today. That is why his church burned conflicting books and killed those like Gnostics who would not kowtow.
Even Rome was atheist as it absorbed any and all Gods and just slid them into their menu.
The Christian God was just another feather in their cap.
But hey. Don't let me be the one to try to make you think of the next generation that needs the atheist movement.
Regards
DL
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 06:29 AM
(11-11-2012 01:18 PM)Humakt Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 09:22 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  No problem my friend.
Other atheists also seem to know about the benefits that atheist churches do in creating positives for the community. What I find disheartening is the lack of forethought and concern for the up and coming generations that atheists are ignoring. I can appreciate where thinkers like us are more independent but to forget our moral obligation to them is taking self-centeredness too far IMO.
I find that strange as atheists tend to have better morals in many cases than the religious.
http://www.churchoffreethought.org/
Regards
DL
Maybe the problem is the use of the word "church" which has some fairly religious overtones. A church of atheism, is kinda like the brothel of chasity. As for self centredness your the one by far in the minority on this issue, yet everyone else is at fault because we dont agree with you.
It is what it is and you are.
Regards
DL
12-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Why can't I just be me and bring up my (hypothetical so far) kids with an environment where they're free to ask questions? I *hate* organizations. I always end up on tea duty Angry And everyone forgets when it's their turn to bring biscuits.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-11-2012, 06:35 AM
(11-11-2012 01:37 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 11:41 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Grow. Yes.
In the last what, 300 years, they have gotten to a whopping 5%.
Regards
DL
You can claim that all day long, you're still wrong (not even including closet atheists).
Whatever the true number is, without places of expression and sacrifice the movement is all smoke and mirrors.
Billions say they believe in God but if push came to shove, few would stand to be counted. Words are cheap. Actions are not.
Ye shall know atheists by their works the same way all groups show their true existence.
Regards
DL
12-11-2012, 06:39 AM
(11-11-2012 07:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We, the English, have perfected the art of 'measured arrogance'. It's a gift.
They, the French, are condescending. It's a fact. Live with it.
You'd think that in order to be condescending, one must be superior, though Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
12-11-2012, 06:46 AM
(11-11-2012 01:48 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Alright, I think I now finally understand the main problem with your original post: you geared it towards the wrong audience. If you had approached this topic and asked us "what do you all think about atheists who present the solution of combating religion through setting up a mirror institution?" you would have gotten less hostile and confused responses. Instead, you presented it as an argument for why WE should be convinced of its necessity as well. Yeah, I agree with you that there are atheists that fit the bill of what you are proposing, but I view them as severely misguided, as I've pointed out. I understand that you feel differently and appoint credence to their claims, but the manner you went about presenting so belied your intentions and message.
Point taken.
English not being my mother tongue means I am not near as eloquent as some.
I have been looking for a ghost writer but have yet to find one.
Note though the mindset that you point to where atheist thinking is manipulated by the word church.
I am not so when you say mirror image of a church, I see a church.
What do you see if you look at an image of a church?
A church I hope or your vision is poor. Fire is fought with fire and a church is fought with a church.
That is a fair fight and the world would see it as such. To fight a knife with a gun is hardly fair play.
Regards
DL

P.S.
Note how in religious church battles, the victor builds a new church over the old defeated enemy.
Those with eyes will see.
12-11-2012, 06:49 AM
(12-11-2012 06:46 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  [ Fire is fought with fire
Is it, indeed? No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
12-11-2012, 06:53 AM
(11-11-2012 07:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ^^ Yes
I feel like I have had to work pretty hard to keep this thread on its intended track.

Greatest I am,
Please consider your audience and have a think about how your words will be consumed.

All,
Please note, for future reference:

We, the English, have perfected the art of 'measured arrogance'. It's a gift.

Smartass

Peace, love and empathy,
DLJ
Guilty as charged but I have no shame though. I am a product of my environment.
A one eyed man in the land of the blind knows he can see better than the rest.
I can't help myself but most of that impression is how I use language and the fact that I will not be swayed by those who do not have the capability to understand complex ideas.
Regards
DL
[+] 1 user Likes Greatest I am's post
12-11-2012, 06:55 AM
(11-11-2012 10:58 PM)Humakt Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 07:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ^^ Yes
I feel like I have had to work pretty hard to keep this thread on its intended track.

Greatest I am,
Please consider your audience and have a think about how your words will be consumed.

All,
Please note, for future reference:

We, the English, have perfected the art of 'measured arrogance'. It's a gift.

Smartass

Peace, love and empathy,
DLJ
You make a fair point, Sir. Smile
I agree.
He is quite intelligent and you will note that he understands the issue and agrees with me.
Regards
DL