Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
RE: Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.
(11-11-2012 09:31 AM)Near Wrote:  There are already FSM churches, do we really need more? How about instead of building 'atheist churches' we focus on building more secular humanist centers? Many of the same goals would be accomplished, and you would have fewer people angry over whether it should be called a church or not.
Community image in the hope of replacing religious churches as they are put out of business.
Regards
DL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2012, 11:33 AM
(10-11-2012 09:00 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 07:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dude. We get that. What you don't get, is that the "atheist movement" organizes into something, it won't be atheism.
If it does not then it will die.

http://www.churchoffreethought.org/
Regards
DL
Atheism hasn't organized to date and yet it continues to grow anyway. I think that's pretty solid evidence that it won't die if it doesn't organize.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-11-2012, 11:41 AM
(11-11-2012 11:33 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 09:00 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  If it does not then it will die.

Regards
DL
Atheism hasn't organized to date and yet it continues to grow anyway. I think that's pretty solid evidence that it won't die if it doesn't organize.
Grow. Yes.
In the last what, 300 years, they have gotten to a whopping 5%.
Regards
DL
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
(11-11-2012 11:41 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 11:33 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Atheism hasn't organized to date and yet it continues to grow anyway. I think that's pretty solid evidence that it won't die if it doesn't organize.
Grow. Yes.
Regards
DL
I doubt it can be quantified accurately because of all the closet atheists, but even if I grant your point as accurate (which I don't), growth is growth which flies in the face of atheism dying out.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-11-2012, 01:18 PM
(11-11-2012 09:22 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 06:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Neither trolling or stupid.

These are genuine views held by many atheists.

Do you recall PZ Meyers attempt to categorise atheists? I can't remember the labels he applied so I will just use the word 'activist'.

These ideas appeal to the 'activists'; the ones who think that sitting around just talking about atheism is not getting us to their goal quick enough.

Greatest,
The way I see it, although I can admire your passion, there are other approaches that are already being effective e.g. Seth's podcasts. Ok, it's slow but there is momentum.

Ironically we have a 'demonising' issue here <--- just to prove that I watched the vids you posted.

I may be the only one but I appreciate your input.

Thanks.
No problem my friend.
Other atheists also seem to know about the benefits that atheist churches do in creating positives for the community. What I find disheartening is the lack of forethought and concern for the up and coming generations that atheists are ignoring. I can appreciate where thinkers like us are more independent but to forget our moral obligation to them is taking self-centeredness too far IMO.
I find that strange as atheists tend to have better morals in many cases than the religious.
Regards
DL
Maybe the problem is the use of the word "church" which has some fairly religious overtones. A church of atheism, is kinda like the brothel of chasity. As for self centredness your the one by far in the minority on this issue, yet everyone else is at fault because we dont agree with you. Also, the idea that the next generation are so rudderless that theyre incapable of making their own determinations about how to live their lives is pretty condesending.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2012, 01:37 PM
(11-11-2012 11:41 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Grow. Yes.
Regards
DL
You can claim that all day long, you're still wrong (not even including closet atheists).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Alright, I think I now finally understand the main problem with your original post: you geared it towards the wrong audience. If you had approached this topic and asked us "what do you all think about atheists who present the solution of combating religion through setting up a mirror institution?" you would have gotten less hostile and confused responses. Instead, you presented it as an argument for why WE should be convinced of its necessity as well. Yeah, I agree with you that there are atheists that fit the bill of what you are proposing, but I view them as severely misguided, as I've pointed out. I understand that you feel differently and appoint credence to their claims, but the manner you went about presenting so belied your intentions and message.

[Image: giphy.gif]
11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
^^ Yes
I feel like I have had to work pretty hard to keep this thread on its intended track.

Greatest I am,
Please consider your audience and have a think about how your words will be consumed.

All,
Please note, for future reference:

We, the English, have perfected the art of 'measured arrogance'. It's a gift.
They, the French, are condescending. It's a fact. Live with it.

Smartass

Peace, love and empathy,
DLJ

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-11-2012, 10:58 PM
(11-11-2012 07:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ^^ Yes
I feel like I have had to work pretty hard to keep this thread on its intended track.

Greatest I am,
Please consider your audience and have a think about how your words will be consumed.

All,

Smartass

Peace, love and empathy,
DLJ
You make a fair point, Sir. Smile

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 03:55 AM
(11-11-2012 10:58 PM)Humakt Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 07:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ^^ Yes

Greatest I am,

All,

Smartass

Peace, love and empathy,
DLJ
You make a fair point, Sir. Smile

Dagnammit! I went to rep you for "A church of atheism, is kinda like a brothel of chastity" but found I already had.

That's gotta be one of the best lines I've read... ever. Sell it to Bill Maher's scriptwriters.

Smile