Atheist Communities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Atheist Communities
What other sites do you guys tend to hang around on? Specifically, I'd like to know what other sites have an emphasis on atheism. Maybe we know each other already or something.

I tend to spend time on the Facebook Atheism fan page, as well as the Reason-Based Atheism group and the discussion board of the Apologetics group, where I spend my time busily dismantling the straw men put up there.

Seriously, you'd think that, after it is explained fifty times, these people would figure out that atheism != nihilism.

Dodgy

I'm also on the James Randi Educational Foundation forums, where I participate (mainly) in the Religion & Philosophy boards. But I also hang out in Forum Community (we have a constant stream of Forum Mafia games going on), General Skepticism & the Paranormal, and History (Holocaust deniers... ugh).

Anyone else on these boards?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2010, 04:31 PM

RE: Atheist Communities
Thanks for mentioning those Unbeliever---maybe I could use some branching out. I did register on The Happy Atheist--- but there's so much there I haven't been able to get too far. And what the hell is going lately with all these phony threads on this site (the "it's my life" bunch and whoever else) I was out of town for a few days and I come back to a bunch of noise. And of course I have a link to Christ Sightings on my facebook but I only go on there to read the stories.
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
(09-02-2010 04:31 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Thanks for mentioning those Unbeliever---maybe I could use some branching out. I did register on The Happy Atheist--- but there's so much there I haven't been able to get too far. And what the hell is going lately with all these phony threads on this site (the "it's my life" bunch and whoever else) I was out of town for a few days and I come back to a bunch of noise.

I think this site just lacks spambot protection. I'm not sure what can be done about it, though.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
10-02-2010, 08:37 PM

OMG there are so many bots! We need moderators.

As for sites, I tend to hang around the Flying spaghetti monsters stuff
11-02-2010, 11:12 AM

I read the Flying Spaghetti Monster blog too, and I usually hang out at happyatheistforum.com
It's great, but as Grassharpper said, it's too much to catch up to Tongue
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
(10-02-2010 08:37 PM)Packilvania Wrote:  OMG there are so many bots! We need moderators.

I second the motion.

15-02-2010, 07:47 PM

I've been reading (not really a community, but a great website) Unreasonable Faith lately:
http://unreasonablefaith.com/
23-02-2010, 03:13 PM

(10-02-2010 10:42 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(09-02-2010 04:31 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Thanks for mentioning those Unbeliever---maybe I could use some branching out. I did register on The Happy Atheist--- but there's so much there I haven't been able to get too far. And what the hell is going lately with all these phony threads on this site (the "it's my life" bunch and whoever else) I was out of town for a few days and I come back to a bunch of noise.

I think this site just lacks spambot protection. I'm not sure what can be done about it, though.

bots here?? I havent seen any advertising..
23-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Well it's in disguise ¬L¬
They usually just post random things, but leave links somewhere hidden in the text or in their signatures. This used to be a good method to get reference sites to rank higher on Google and get more hits, but this has changed, so now the purpose is unknown to me. Just getting more visits by curious people who actually click those links?
23-02-2010, 09:34 PM
<-totally not a bot
Also, the Facebook Apologetics group has been shut down. Apparently, the King of Strawmanners was complaining about abuse. Which would be fine, as every single intelligent person on there - theists included - had insulted the crap out of his idiotic ***, but he claimed that he himself never insulted anyone.

SPOILER: He did.