Atheist Conservatives

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Atheist Conservatives
Are there any other atheist conservatives out there? Anyone interested in discussing how we might diminish the influence of religion within the conservative movement? Liberals also welcome to join the discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: Atheist Conservatives
I consider myself to be a libertarian. That is, small-government but socially liberal. Check out Penn Jillette for a good idea of what libertarian means.

As for how to change it, I have no clue other than education but opinions on how to govern can be swayed either way with education so...yea...

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
16-01-2012, 03:19 PM
germanyt

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-01-2012, 03:42 PM
(16-01-2012 03:15 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Are there any other atheist conservatives out there? Anyone interested in discussing how we might diminish the influence of religion within the conservative movement? Liberals also welcome to join the discussion.

Yes, quote real Republicans like Eisenhower, Goldwater, and Reagan on religion, join The Out Campaign, witness atheism to your conservative brethren.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-01-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2012 03:57 PM by Jeff.)
(16-01-2012 03:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I consider myself to be a libertarian. That is, small-government but socially liberal. Check out Penn Jillette for a good idea of what libertarian means.

Thanks Bearded, we're not far apart politically. I'm a liberal on most social issues, I just don't see those as the biggest issues facing this nation. I'm familiar with Penn Jillette and libertarianism.

(16-01-2012 03:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  germanyt

OK work with me here Kings, because I don't understand your response. You're from Germany and in the "T" party? You're being held hostage and your hands are tied together, so you're typing the best you can from an iPhone?

(16-01-2012 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, quote real Republicans like Eisenhower, Goldwater, and Reagan on religion

Chas, what quotes do you have in mind?
16-01-2012, 04:00 PM
(16-01-2012 03:50 PM)Jeff Wrote:  OK work with me here Kings, because I don't understand your response. You're from Germany and in the "T" party? You're being held hostage and your hands are tied together, so you're typing the best you can from an iPhone?

germanyt, the user. He's an conservative atheist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-01-2012, 04:21 PM
(16-01-2012 03:50 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(16-01-2012 03:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I consider myself to be a libertarian. That is, small-government but socially liberal. Check out Penn Jillette for a good idea of what libertarian means.

Thanks Bearded, we're not far apart politically. I'm a liberal on most social issues, I just don't see those as the biggest issues facing this nation. I'm familiar with Penn Jillette and libertarianism.

(16-01-2012 03:19 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  germanyt

OK work with me here Kings, because I don't understand your response. You're from Germany and in the "T" party? You're being held hostage and your hands are tied together, so you're typing the best you can from an iPhone?

(16-01-2012 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, quote real Republicans like Eisenhower, Goldwater, and Reagan on religion

Chas, what quotes do you have in mind?

Goldwater:
•"I am a conservative Republican, but I believe in democracy and the separation of church and state. The conservative movement is founded on the simple tenet that people have the right to live life as they please as long as they don't hurt anyone else in the process." (in a 1994 Washington Post essay)

•"The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others,"

•"I don't have any respect for the Religious Right. There is no place in this country for practicing religion in politics. That goes for Falwell, Robertson and all the rest of these political preachers. They are a detriment to the country.""

•"Every good Christian should line up and kick Jerry Falwell's ass."

•"A woman has a right to an abortion."

Reagan:
•"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress. "

•"We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Church and state are, and must remain, separate.
All are free to believe or not believe, all are free to practice faith, or not."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Like Charles Johnson and Andrew Sullivan, this voting-lifelong registered fiscal conservative/social libertarian Republican feels completely abandoned by his party. I'm not sure what the most effective tactic is, but right now all I can think of is ridicule and self-loathing. This Republican will be voting for Obama.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-01-2012, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2012 05:42 PM by Jeff.)
(16-01-2012 04:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  germanyt, the user. He's an conservative atheist.

Ah now I get it, thanks Kings.

(16-01-2012 04:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  Goldwater et al

Great quotes Chas, thanks for sharing

(16-01-2012 05:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  this voting-lifelong registered fiscal conservative/social libertarian Republican feels completely abandoned by his party.

I feel the same way (abandoned) GirlyMan.

I voted for Obama last time but won't do it again.
16-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm still a registered Republican, and still believe is fiscal conservatism. More of a Rockefeller Republican than Goldwater. I still believe Reagan sowed the seeds of destruction for the modern Republican party when he cooped the Religious Right and Moral Majority in 1980 to defeat a Southern Baptist president in Jimmy Carter. It's a classic case of careful what you wish for - American views on religion has been on the decline ever since 1980...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post