Atheist Conservatives

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2012, 08:34 PM
RE: Atheist Conservatives
I have heard the call for more conservative atheists to join the cause. My opinion, the term "conservative" or "liberal" are weak descriptions for ones political positions. The term liberal in the 1800s meant the same thing as libertarian does today. The founders of America were "liberal democrats" in their time, which would not describe them accurately today. We also speculate that they would be atheist, as opposed to deists, as they testified to then.

I propose the stance to take is to be a strong believer in "personal liberty". When the individual is free to make their own choices we are very smart "in mass". That is not to say that societies never get "off track", but we have internal correction mechanisms called "free speech" and "freedom to protest" and "freedom to assemble" and "voting". When things really go wrong look for tyranny in the form of a theocracy, aristocracy, monarchy, etc., to be at the root of it. This is when elections can't make changes and revolutions must at the cost of human lives.

I suggest not to allow youself to be labeled a conservative or liberal. Declare yourself a "lover of individual liberty" and let the pinhead asking what you are to decide your political label, if it's so damn important to them.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2012, 10:35 AM
(16-01-2012 08:34 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I suggest not to allow youself to be labeled a conservative or liberal. Declare yourself a "lover of individual liberty" and let the pinhead asking what you are to decide your political label, if it's so damn important to them.

How about Rationalist or Secular Humanist?
Each issue should be looked on seperatly and decided upon
and the possibility of changing that decision in accordance with new
evidence or better arguments. All objective like etc.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
17-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't know if I'd call myself a conservative. Economically maybe but I'm pretty socially liberal. I'm pretty pragmatic and objective.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain