Atheist Couple Denied Right To Be Married Because They Are Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2014, 08:57 AM
RE: Atheist Couple Denied Right To Be Married Because They Are Atheists
(02-06-2014 07:43 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Mind you, I would have refused to marry them too...

... on the grounds that they will probably have ugly children.

Drinking Beverage

LOL, come to the Bible Belt in the U.S. You'll see Bible-thumping rednecks that make these people look like models.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
02-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Can't they just marry themselves? Like seriously, with this whole "Marriage" thing, why can't people just marry themselves. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but it doesn't really matter. It's not like it makes your marriage any more legitimate if you have some "Special" guy there to read the vows and whatnot.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
02-06-2014, 09:40 AM
(02-06-2014 09:20 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Can't they just marry themselves? Like seriously, with this whole "Marriage" thing, why can't people just marry themselves. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but it doesn't really matter. It's not like it makes your marriage any more legitimate if you have some "Special" guy there to read the vows and whatnot.

Not all of these might apply in this case, but... Hospital visitation rights... spousal coverage under insurance policies... mutual guardianship of children... conjugal visits in prison... right not to testify against spouse... social security benefits... citizenship/residency status... right to file joint tax returns... ability to override your fundamentalist mother-in-law on medical decisions... no inheritance tax... no gift tax... qualifying for family leave... child support/custody rights in case of divorce... immigration/residency status....
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
(02-06-2014 09:40 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 09:20 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Can't they just marry themselves? Like seriously, with this whole "Marriage" thing, why can't people just marry themselves. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but it doesn't really matter. It's not like it makes your marriage any more legitimate if you have some "Special" guy there to read the vows and whatnot.

Not all of these might apply in this case, but... Hospital visitation rights... spousal coverage under insurance policies... mutual guardianship of children... conjugal visits in prison... right not to testify against spouse... social security benefits... citizenship/residency status... right to file joint tax returns... ability to override your fundamentalist mother-in-law on medical decisions... no inheritance tax... no gift tax... qualifying for family leave... child support/custody rights in case of divorce... immigration/residency status....
I know but do they have to have some "Special" guy do it or can't they just say "We're married." You should just be able to say that. Because now it just sounds like they're denying rights to people which is against the laws america was founded on.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
02-06-2014, 09:46 AM
(02-06-2014 09:42 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 09:40 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Not all of these might apply in this case, but... Hospital visitation rights... spousal coverage under insurance policies... mutual guardianship of children... conjugal visits in prison... right not to testify against spouse... social security benefits... citizenship/residency status... right to file joint tax returns... ability to override your fundamentalist mother-in-law on medical decisions... no inheritance tax... no gift tax... qualifying for family leave... child support/custody rights in case of divorce... immigration/residency status....
I know but do they have to have some "Special" guy do it or can't they just say "We're married." You should just be able to say that. Because now it just sounds like they're denying rights to people which is against the laws america was founded on.

You have to have the marriage legally registered ahead of time by the government for it to be recognized. Essentially, that's what a marriage license does. You can have a registered minister, justice of the peace, or courthouse official execute on the license and make it official. That's what this couple was trying to do. They were planning a separate "WE'RE MARRIED!" ceremony for friends and family later in the month.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry, double post.

02-06-2014, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014 11:49 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
(02-06-2014 09:42 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I know but do they have to have some "Special" guy do it or can't they just say "We're married." You should just be able to say that. Because now it just sounds like they're denying rights to people which is against the laws america was founded on.

The problem with that is all of the legal privileges that come with marriage, and there would definitely be a ton of problems with splitting assets if we did it that way.

Marriage, for the longest time, was nothing but a business transaction. The church has tried to hijack marriage and claim that it was always some holy ceremony. The whole notion of marrying somebody out of love is actually quite new in the long history of marriage. Marriage, for the longest time, was a business transaction where the father of the bride chose a husband for her and then paid a dowry to the man, who was then responsible for providing for the woman and the family for the rest of their lives. Divorce was not allowed to keep the man from going back on his word. Whether or not the two loved each other was considered irrelevant.

[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
02-06-2014, 10:13 AM
(02-06-2014 07:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...this can't be real.

That was my hope.

(02-06-2014 08:01 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is. The official has the right to decline to marry anyone for any reason. It more or less shows how full of shit the anti same sex marriage lie of "They will be forcing our churches to marry them thar queers" is.

I'm surprised they have that latitude. That's terrible.
02-06-2014, 10:20 AM
They look like such an intelligent cute couple, wonder how they could have possibly gotten the wrong wedding officiate. Consider

Bechased Lecture_preist

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
02-06-2014, 11:12 AM
(02-06-2014 10:20 AM)War Horse Wrote:  They look like such an intelligent cute couple, wonder how they could have possibly gotten the wrong wedding officiate. Consider

Bechased Lecture_preist

I wonder if the guy had looked like a conservative, three piece suite kind of guy and the girl had looked like suzie homemaker, if there would have been a different outcome-atheist or not. I'll bet they would been married. Hate to say it but the way one looks and presents oneself makes a difference in the world. I'm not saying it's right. It's really horrible that the way you look should have any influence on how you are treated but their interesting, fun look didn't help matters.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post