Atheist Experience Clip from 2/13/11

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Atheist Experience Clip from 2/13/11
I know there are at least a few fans of The Atheist Experience and Matt Dillahunty here. If you have not listened to or watched this past Sunday's show, you definitely should. It's an instant classic. Hosts Matt Dillahunty and Jeff Dee receive a call from a local Christian and completely dismantle his stance - but manage to do it rationally, thoughtfully, and as kindly as possible.

Here is a clip of the relevant part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OCYhDFc42I

Matt continues to impress me with his wit and intellect. This guy should be on a national stage on par with other prominent atheists.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2011, 05:20 PM
RE: Atheist Experience Clip from 2/13/11
Matt is great - he is one of the main reasons for my deconversion , well , the show mostly , but he is one of my favorites. Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
16-02-2011, 12:22 PM

I just watched this a few hours a go and while I was alone in my car eating lunch just now I kept thinking about it. What a brilliant argument. So a Christian says after all the logical arguments are lost, "you just need to have faith". Tempting to roll your eyes here but no, Matt says OK I believe you have Faith, but I don't so tell me something, anything that will allow me to have faith? It's an interesting question. Sadly the real answer I believe is that Faith is born of fear, and only if I can make you afraid will you be able to have faith. I'm not afraid though. Maybe the approach of nonbelievers shouldn't be logical disproof, maybe we should help theist overcome their fears?
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 12:46 PM

We went over that whole faith thing a lot in my philosophy class.

"You just gotta have faith."

My professor always said that they're using faith with some special meaning. That they have it all wrong, faith just means confidence. And your faith in something can be rational or irrational.

Faith that my chair can support my weight. <- Rational
Faith that a deity cares about my life and answers my prayers. <- Irrational.
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 12:53 PM
(16-02-2011 12:46 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  We went over that whole faith thing a lot in my philosophy class.

"You just gotta have faith."

My professor always said that they're using faith with some special meaning. That they have it all wrong, faith just means confidence. And your faith in something can be rational or irrational.

Faith that my chair can support my weight. <- Rational
Faith that a deity cares about my life and answers my prayers. <- Irrational.

That's actually covered in this clip as well - Matt D. doesn't call it rational faith, however. He states something along the lines of "having reasonable expectations reliant on evidence." I wonder if either phrase is more accurate or useful. Even if you give it the label of "rational faith" the theist will probably claim victory - aha! see? you do have faith!

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
16-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I feel sympathy for Mark. At the moment he is challenged to admit that the earth is much older then the bible states he is very quick to add that "that doesn’t disproves god", and right before that when he has to think really deeply on "why" he is a Christian, which is obviously a question he never asked himself. He really has trouble with his whole world view at that moment. I would have liked to stand next to him as his friend and whisper in his ear "You feel that? You feel that bubbly sensation under your skull buddy? THAT’S thinking for yourself. That's what makes you YOU!"

Great vid!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
17-02-2011, 01:26 AM
I remember having a discussion with a man who was messed-up. During the the conversation he looked at me and said, "You are saying that I have to take responsibility for my actions?" I said "yes", to which he replied, "I can't do that".

Not hard to see why his ex-wife told him to get a life.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.