Atheist Infighting - Or Why I Think Our Thought Leaders Set Horrible Examples

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 08:13 AM
RE: Atheist Infighting - Or Why I Think Our Thought Leaders Set Horrible Examples
(01-10-2014 07:52 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  So only those who are moral "super beings" are not sexist and racist?

Ok. Lol

That's not what I said. I was saying that we don't criticize ancient people for acting like ancient people.

We criticize an all knowing God for acting like ancient people. We also criticize modern people for acting like ancient people.

I agree that as a society our morality evolves (and hopefully improves) over time. The biggest reason I think is that each generation builds on the knowledge and understanding of previous generations and we use that growing understanding to inform our morality.

For example, 1,000 years ago, it might have been reasonable to consider homosexuality a disease, and you could have good people with the best intentions trying to cure it.

Today, that's inexcusable because we have learned that it's not an illness and that trying to "cure" it is cruel and abusive and that there is no reason to treat homosexuals any different than heterosexuals.

And 1,000 years from now, people will probably look back at our best and brightest and consider them ignorant savages as well.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
RE: Atheist Infighting - Or Why I Think Our Thought Leaders Set Horrible Examples
I'm giving my opinion. We still see sexism and racism today. In big ways, not in fringe pockets. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :-)

Be true to yourself. Heart
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
(01-10-2014 08:13 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  And 1,000 years from now, people will probably look back at our best and brightest and consider them ignorant savages as well.
I used to think about how humanity will look back onto current times 1000 years from now. What are the things we do that they will find ridiculous? I'm hoping this thing called "religion" is one of those things.

But then again, that's assuming that world over-population, or world war hasn't completely led humans to the brink of extinction.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-10-2014, 09:55 AM
(01-10-2014 08:21 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I'm giving my opinion. We still see sexism and racism today. In big ways, not in fringe pockets. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :-)

I'm not arguing that we don't see sexism and racism today.

The point I'm trying to make is that you have to be careful about judging historical figures by today's moral standards.

A sexist or racist statement/action in the past is just as sexist or racist as it would be today, but the historical person may not deserve the same level of condemnation as a modern person doing/saying the same thing.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
01-10-2014, 10:07 AM
(01-10-2014 09:55 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 08:21 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I'm giving my opinion. We still see sexism and racism today. In big ways, not in fringe pockets. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :-)

I'm not arguing that we don't see sexism and racism today.

The point I'm trying to make is that you have to be careful about judging historical figures by today's moral standards.

A sexist or racist statement/action in the past is just as sexist or racist as it would be today, but the historical person may not deserve the same level of condemnation as a modern person doing/saying the same thing.

Now, this I agree with...thanks for taking the time to elaborate further as to your initial point. Makes a lot of sense. :-)

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
(01-10-2014 07:52 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  ..
If it's all about being a product of the time why does sexism and racism still exist today?

because time's not over yet.

Wink

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
(01-10-2014 10:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 07:52 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  ..
If it's all about being a product of the time why does sexism and racism still exist today?

because time's not over yet.

Wink

Lmao!!! Laugh out load
I didn't expect that haha!