Atheist Killers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Atheist Killers
Inevitably when the issue of Atheists being largely nonmilitant, at least in the sense of not conducting mass killing the fundamentalists mention Soviet Russia, Pol Pot, N. Korea, China, etc. Other than pointing out the cult of personality does anyone have any arguments other than religion has killed far more than atheism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: Atheist Killers
(24-01-2012 10:25 AM)JumperK Wrote:  Inevitably when the issue of Atheists being largely nonmilitant, at least in the sense of not conducting mass killing the fundamentalists mention Soviet Russia, Pol Pot, N. Korea, China, etc. Other than pointing out the cult of personality does anyone have any arguments other than religion has killed far more than atheism?

No one has killed in the name of atheism, or used atheism as the reason to go to war.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Atheism never killed anyone. How do you get someone who is atheist to kill people based off of atheism? No one commands you to kill those guys for no reason so do it.
Doesn't exactly motivate. Atheism can't be used as a motivation. It's a lack of belief.
Religion is made to manipulate. Within the bible are rules that can be used to accommodate many things. Some good but most bad. It's very easy to use the bible to motivate killing.
Atheism has no actual manifesto. No rules or guidelines. No hate nor any love. You don't have to sacrifice anything to be a member except sometimes family and friends. And it never tells you it's ok to kill people. It doesn't tell you anything. It is a non entity.
Religion has guidelines. Doesn't matter which one. Most religions are base off of fear and hate, due mostly in part to the times they were thought up in. Some aren't like that but I would argue still have an agenda.
Since I am not a believer I cannot be motivated by fear of hell or god. I can only be motivated by personal desire.
And I personally dont want to kill anyone... Most of the time.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
24-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I had an argument once. It ended with... "I hope the couch is warm!"

Welcome to the forums.
24-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I think perhaps the better explanation is that the countries you cite, Soviet Russia, Pol Pot, N. Korea, China, etc., were/are all dictatorships, which is the true cause of the mass killings, whether the dictatorial leader uses the church or a government institution as their platform. The real danger of religions comes from elevating a non-democratically-elected leader into a position of power. The same danger comes from political leaders who gain power from non-democratic means.
24-01-2012, 05:20 PM

I have yet to see someone blow themselves up in the name of Richard Dawkins.

The people who use the Soviet Union or North Korea as an excuse fails to see the similarities between a theocracy and a dictatorship. Both have absolute power and both abuse it.

Religion is a weapon whether you like it or not and it has caused more casualties than any known weapon. It has also caused some of the most stupid killings in history like the Salem witch trials or Spanish Inquisition.

Now not every Atheist is a saint. I just believe since we have no doctrine to follow it is much easier not to be persuaded for idiotic wars and genocides.

Some of us do highly dislike religion but I've never seen the inhumane hatred at the level religion uses it.

As I said before, I highly doubt a solar flare or meteor will end our lives. If anything, religion will bring our extinction closer with its definition of "peace".

Which includes war and death.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
24-01-2012, 06:14 PM
(24-01-2012 10:25 AM)JumperK Wrote:  Inevitably when the issue of Atheists being largely nonmilitant, at least in the sense of not conducting mass killing the fundamentalists mention Soviet Russia, Pol Pot, N. Korea, China, etc. Other than pointing out the cult of personality does anyone have any arguments other than religion has killed far more than atheism?

Actually Pol Pot claimed to be a Buddhist of sorts, and N Korea looked on Kim Jong Il as a type of God. Remember all that weeping and wailing.

Capitalism uses religion and some creeds seem happy to go along for the ride.

Beware of possible secular gods wearing white coats............Huh
22-08-2013, 10:33 AM
(24-01-2012 10:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  

No one has killed in the name of atheism, or used atheism as the reason to go to war.

Tell that to these dead fourty thousand christian relatives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristian...Revolution

I think it's important to know one's history .. more so if they want to talk about it. Atheism might have been born at night , but it wasn't last night. Evil_monster
22-08-2013, 10:17 PM
(22-08-2013 10:33 AM)Wes World Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 10:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  No one has killed in the name of atheism, or used atheism as the reason to go to war.

Tell that to these dead fourty thousand christian relatives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristian...Revolution

That was not in the name of atheism. That was to destroy the secular power of a corrupt church hierarchy to secure the popular revolution.

The Catholic Church had been an oppressor in Europe for centuries.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post