Atheist Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Atheist Literature
I'm new in all of this, so I was wondering if there is anything that you would recommend that I check out. Not a big reader, but I'm getting really interested in all this philosophy stuff. Thanks Big Grin

I felt like I needed a signature... and this is it... you're welcome
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
RE: Atheist Literature
Personally, the book that led me on my first steps into Atheism was Fredrick Nietzsche's Will to Power. I never actually read more than a dozen or so pages into it, but I've just now picked it up again after about five years and am going to make an attempt to press through it the whole way. Nihilism is an interesting, albeit very depressing, philosophical viewpoint. It isn't one that I really accept, if that is the correct word, but element's of Nietzsche's work have helped to shape the person I am today, not just from what little I have read so far of Will to Power, but also from Thus Spoke Zarathustra (which I did read in its entirety).

Leave it to me to recommend extreme viewpoints, but you may also find Ayn Rand's work to be of interest. I give the same warning as with Nietzsche though, Objectivism is a bit harsh in its undiluted form, but it has managed to influence my viewpoint as well (just not to the same level as is represented in, say, Atlas Shrugged). You might find Ayn's work more accessible than Nietzsche's was well, because in most cases it is written as a novel, versus a treatise.

Well those are my recommendations anyway, I'd also be interested in seeing what others would suggest, I'd be interested in expanding my philosophical repertoire as well.
Find all posts by this user
20-02-2012, 12:26 AM
God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.
20-02-2012, 12:52 AM
(04-01-2012 08:29 PM)Blabibla Wrote:  I'm new in all of this, so I was wondering if there is anything that you would recommend that I check out. Not a big reader, but I'm getting really interested in all this philosophy stuff. Thanks Big Grin

If you're interested in philosophy, it's hard to beat Daniel Dennett. Check out "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Recommend Some Literature Unbeliever 97 9,301 14-05-2014 01:07 PM
Last Post: Maumin
  Support an Atheist Writer! SparkByTouch 1 160 04-12-2013 03:22 PM
Last Post: Skeptic Gamer
  Bible as Literature mylittlepretender 7 374 19-08-2013 10:11 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  Atheists review Christian literature? Escape Artist 5 279 16-08-2013 07:44 AM
Last Post: Escape Artist
  Atheist/Religious Fiction Elder Cunningham 21 840 14-08-2013 01:42 AM
Last Post: Elder Cunningham
Wink Russian History and Literature elegant_atheist 5 197 01-08-2013 11:49 PM
Last Post: Swedgen
Question the best atheist literature BladeofNothingness 4 732 20-06-2013 05:02 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus