Atheist Monument in Florida
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Atheist Monument in Florida

Starke, FL. A 1,500 lb granite monument designed by David Silverman's group American Atheists was installed just outside of the city courthouse, alongside a granite monument of the Ten Commandments, which the American Atheists had sued to have removed. The ceremony was attended by a few dozen eclectic athesits sporting DON"T PANIC t-shirts and taking turns sitting on the monument (it is a bench) for photos. A small group from the League of the South showed up and protested with the usual Turn or Burn signs and the event was capped by Eric Hovind jumping on top the the monument to thank the American Atheists for creating a monument to preach the Good News of Jesus from (he was forced down after being yelled at by the crowd).

For those who don't know, Starke, FL, is a traffic light on FL Route 301 between Jacksonville and Gainseville. A sleepy southern village and housing for corrections officers who work at nearby Florida State Prison. That region of the world is also home to some of the most rabid fundamentalists you will ever encounter. Paul Hill and Eric Rudolph came from and killed in those parts and northern Florida is practically the headquarters for the Christian Patriot Movement and militant anti-abortion activities. In a way I guess it really is a good place for this to happen.

Here's my beef. This monument is being promoted as expression of atheist beliefs alongside of christian ones. Problem is, ATHEISTS DON'T HAVE BELIEFS! I think this is a bad trend for the American Atheists to go this direction for that reason.

Also, AA needs to hire a good monument designer quick because that is the ugliest monument that I have ever seen. It looks like a cross between an chaise lounge and a tombstone! Even shittier, is that the Ten Commandments monument nearby looks 10x better now!

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
RE: Atheist Monument in Florida
We already have a thread on this:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply