Atheist Myths Debunked / Dear Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 08:53 PM
RE: Atheist Myths Debunked / Dear Theists
I might argue regarding atheists having a moral code and purpose in life but only in so far as it applies to atheism itself. Atheists can have both of those things but they derive them from elsewhere. Not from atheism itself. I think I'm just being semantic.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 05:16 AM
(21-04-2015 08:53 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I might argue regarding atheists having a moral code and purpose in life but only in so far as it applies to atheism itself. Atheists can have both of those things but they derive them from elsewhere. Not from atheism itself. I think I'm just being semantic.

Not sure I follow. How can I have a moral code & purpose that applies to a null stance? Then you say they come from elsewhere.

That's like saying your moral code comes from not having Thor or Brahma.

Unless I'm missing something. Enlighten me?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
22-04-2015, 05:39 AM
(22-04-2015 05:16 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 08:53 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I might argue regarding atheists having a moral code and purpose in life but only in so far as it applies to atheism itself. Atheists can have both of those things but they derive them from elsewhere. Not from atheism itself. I think I'm just being semantic.

Not sure I follow. How can I have a moral code & purpose that applies to a null stance? Then you say they come from elsewhere.

That's like saying your moral code comes from not having Thor or Brahma.

Unless I'm missing something. Enlighten me?

I think what he's saying is that morality / purpose is independent of belief?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Atheist Myths Debunked / Dear Theists
Ok, I think I got it.
22-04-2015, 05:51 AM

We get our moral code and purpose in life from the same place most Christians do, empathy. We are just honest about it. If Christians actually got their moral code and purpose in life from the bible, they wouldn't choose which passages to follow that align with their agenda.

You would expect Christians to be universally aligned in their moral views. If the "holy spirit" were true, then you would expect people who accepted it to not sin.

So yes, you are correct that Atheists do not get their moral code and purpose in life from being an atheist, but Christians do not get their moral code from being a christian.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post