Atheist? No, you are not. Or are you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2016, 08:19 AM
RE: Atheist? No, you are not. Or are you?
What if I told you...

[Image: 350x700px-LL-e4b94032_25w3.jpeg]

The idea's been played with before.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
25-05-2016, 08:25 AM
(24-05-2016 12:38 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Cool. Needs some vampires and dragons.

Welcome to Wales, we have the dragons Smile

You have the dragons and the wales both?
25-05-2016, 08:28 AM
(23-05-2016 09:07 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I have read and learned a very interesting idea. It started with a seed of an idea but I have put time and thoughts in it to complete and make it a belief theory. I wanna share with you and see how you think about it.

The people in this world, me, you, the others, are only characters of a book, a movie, a novel, a fiction, a show, or a scene that was written by a person from a parallel universe in countless number of parallel universes.

The thought you are having, or the action you are doing, is being written. That means somewhere in a parallel universe right at this moment, my "author" is writting something like "He's trying to break through the limit of this book and starts questioning the existence of me. He's having doubt and asking people what they think about what he's thinking on that community where he always finds his answers" which leads me to do what I'm doing now - writting a topic on TTA.

Tomorrow, somewhere in another parallel universe, every word will be written down "He found an interesting question while on his laptop. He starts to think about me as he wrote an answer to the post"... That would be someone else's "author" writting about him answering my topic tomorrow.

Most of the "authors" have no idea that what they write is someone's next action or thought in a parallel universe. It is just the same as us "characters" have no idea that someone in a parallel universe is writting our next event, our life story.

Each of us is the main character of our own story and has our own "author". When a person dies, that person's "author" just put an ending to their story.

Though we are a "character", we also could be an "author". We write a book. We make a game. We compose a song. All of those, can made the universes to create a universe that has the same "characters" that do the same things we make them do. That means dragons actually exist in some parallel universe and a person with the name f*ckyourmom you created also exists in that universe. Yes, real dragons and real person. And, he will slay the dragons as you play on your console.

You could be a "character" and an "author" at the same time. You could make your "character" an "author" by making him writting a book or a scene. Then, you will be an "author" of an "author".

Any form of story telling in one universe can possibly create a new universe with the same story going on in it.

No matter how strong and intelligent we are, we can never break through the limit of our "book" and meet our "author". We can never travel between universes and find which one our "author" is in.

Our whole life is just a written story expressed in forms like books or movies,... Our "author" is our "God" writting down what we are doing next, and he also may have his own "author" writting down what he will have to write next which leads to what we will do next.

Someone in a parallel universe is writing a political story about two people name "Hillary Clinton" and "Donald Trump" fight for the presidency without knowing it's actually happening in our universe.

It starts from a sentence "we are just someone else's character" and I have made this much up so far.

Tell me your thoughts about this. Is this theory believable? Can it be proven or disproven? If you believe in this, then what are you? Atheist?

Credit: Toan Tran

There was a period known in science fiction circles as the New Wave of science fiction when this theme was worked to death. Literally hundreds of versions of this were written, mostly by British authors.
25-05-2016, 09:24 AM
[Image: 51ysrNDhV3L.jpg]

[Image: MV5BMTQ0MDU5MzY2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg3...SY720_.jpg]
[Image: author-ouat.jpg]

[Image: dvdf.jpg]

[Image: 97474da6cf589b901827a2f60845e84e43c3387b...2c4_medium]

(and that had dragons)

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
25-05-2016, 08:59 PM
(24-05-2016 02:18 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  As to Silly Deity's post above, I'm also pretty sure there's a movie with this sort of theme as well.

"Stranger Than Fiction" with Will Ferrell.

But the writer wasn't from a parallel universe. She existed in the same reality as Ferrel's character.

Pretty good flick.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
25-05-2016, 09:05 PM
(23-05-2016 09:07 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  The people in this world, me, you, the others, are only characters of a book, a movie, a novel, a fiction, a show, or a scene that was written by a person from a parallel universe in countless number of parallel universes.

In an infinitely large multiverse, anything that is possible can, will, and has happened.

It is possible that somebody in another dimension is writing a (very dull) story that mirrors my life exactly (and then he took another bite of his hamburger...). The probabilities are small but non-zero, so given infinity to play with it's already happened.

Quote:No matter how strong and intelligent we are, we can never break through the limit of our "book" and meet our "author". We can never travel between universes and find which one our "author" is in.

Try Larry Niven out. His characters ganged up on him and organized a revolt.

Quote:Our "author" is our "God" writting down what we are doing next

You've mixed up god and a coincidental biographer. There is no correlation between what my "author" writes and my actions. It's all a statistical coincidence based on an infinite number of possible outcomes. Any given author that has correctly written my life to this point is more than likely to botch my next line. The odds of them getting it right are vanishingly small. No matter, there's an infinitely large queue of them.

Quote:and he also may have his own "author" writting down what he will have to write next which leads to what we will do next.

It's turtles all the way down.

Quote:Is this theory believable?

Only if you can prove the existence of an infinitely large multiverse. Good luck with that.

Quote:Can it be proven or disproven?

Neither at this point in time. It's merely baseless speculation. But anything that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Quote:If you believe in this, then what are you? Atheist?

An eccentric who holds a peculiar but otherwise harmless belief. So long as you don't start killing people who disagree.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
15-06-2016, 07:36 AM
(24-05-2016 03:19 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Atheism is a disbelief in god. No more, no less.

That is one definition.
The older one (in Europe, at least) is that atheism is a belief system without a god (or gods) along these lines...
Polytheism - Religion of belief system with many gods
Monotheism - Religion of belief system with one god
Atheism - Religion of belief system with no gods

Since I'm 72 this is how I think when someone says 'atheist'.
When questioned I have always answered "I am not religious". If questioned further I tell them that I have never believed in god (or gods). Basta!
[+] 1 user Likes Siefert's post
15-06-2016, 08:31 AM
(15-06-2016 07:36 AM)Siefert Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 03:19 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Atheism is a disbelief in god. No more, no less.

That is one definition.
The older one (in Europe, at least) is that atheism is a belief system without a god (or gods) along these lines...

When questioned I have always answered "I am not religious". If questioned further I tell them that I have never believed in god (or gods). Basta!

"the older one" is a misnomer, it's one definition itself. which isn't Older, as the other definitions of atheism go back way back. It's the definition you're familar with for decades on end but it's certainly not older at all.

The term even had popularity of Romans believing christians to be Atheist and philosophical figures before were accused of Atheos in not believing or propagating it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-06-2016, 09:23 AM
(15-06-2016 08:31 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 07:36 AM)Siefert Wrote:  That is one definition.

"the older one" is a misnomer, it's one definition itself. which isn't Older, as the other definitions of atheism go back way back. It's the definition you're familar with for decades on end but it's certainly not older at all.

The term even had popularity of Romans believing christians to be Atheist and philosophical figures before were accused of Atheos in not believing or propagating it.
Thank you ClydeLee,
I defer to your better knowledge. That about Roman times was interesting. Where could one find more information on that subject?
15-06-2016, 09:46 AM
(15-06-2016 09:23 AM)Siefert Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 08:31 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  "the older one" is a misnomer, it's one definition itself. which isn't Older, as the other definitions of atheism go back way back. It's the definition you're familar with for decades on end but it's certainly not older at all.

Thank you ClydeLee,
I defer to your better knowledge. That about Roman times was interesting. Where could one find more information on that subject?

I sadly don't have any links or remember specic locations of the knowledge of it. I know I've heard the point of that for several recent years in times of philosophy historys, atheist origin videos, or on podcasts. I know wikipedia mentions it in a overview of atheism but I don't even think there is much of a source of further developing info about that linked there.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson