Atheist Parallels with Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Atheist Parallels with Christianity
I am new to the forum and to the podcasts, etc. Here are some observations, at the very least, maybe for amusement, at best, maybe helpful, probably neither :-)

I do end with a question below.

-Persons who have "come out", are sort of treated as though they have been initiated, like "Baptism" or "Conversion".

- Personal testimonies are similar to conversion stories within Christian denominations. For example, ex-Catholics speak of the atrocities of Catholicism to a friendly audience of protestants.

- People are encourage to evangelize atheism like the "Great Commission" of Christianity.

So what about people who are simply atheist, but do not hold to any of the above convictions? How are they treated? Are they "shunned" by some in the atheist community? (yes I am describing myself)

If so, that would be another parallel :-)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 07:24 AM
RE: Atheist Parallels with Christianity
Interesting post, when I deconverted I felt like Christians do when they convert. I never had these supernatural feelings as a Christian. so for me I have found where I belong.

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2013, 08:03 AM
RE: Atheist Parallels with Christianity
Why would anyone shun you, comet? Because you don't want to discuss your deconversion? I never would have thought about it if you hadn't brought it up (I do not know whether you have shared your story or not. My point is rhetorical).

Would I shun you because you don't want to share your atheism with others? Why? What business is that of mine?

So the sociological parallels you draw are not horribly surprising, but speaking solely for myself, the answer to your last question is no.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post