Atheist Preachers, Prophets and Killers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Atheist Preachers, Prophets and Killers
As most of you are probably aware of, there was recently a hostage situation at the Discovery channel building. The Discovery Institute has posted an article on their website witch I think you will find ...interesting.

http://www.discovery.org/a/15271

Here are som excerpts:

"Another atheist extremist went on a rampage last week, taking hostages at the Discovery Channel building and demanding the network do more to proselytize evolution and fear about environmental Armageddon. Before he harmed anyone, police shot the terrorist dead."

"The violence and the response of atheist evangelists, such as American shock-scientist PZ Myers, illustrate how organized atheism increasingly resembles religion."

"Klinghoffer explained that Columbine High School shooter Eric Harris, Jokela High School shooter Pekka Eric Auvinen and Holocaust Memorial Museum shooter James von Brunn espoused an evangelical loyalty to Darwin and atheism."

"The more atheists push their beliefs — through terror or preaching — the more they appear as another evangelical movement with faith in a philosophy that can never be proved or disproved. Atheists, welcome to the club. All you’re lacking are orphanages, AIDS hospices, missionaries, and thousands of charitable foundations. Get on it."

So.. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2010, 01:49 PM
RE: Atheist Preachers, Prophets and Killers
Not really. I stopped caring about what the Discovery Institute has to say roughly thirty seconds after I discovered that it existed.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
17-09-2010, 06:42 PM
The only reason that churches run orphanages is that orphanages are prime recruiting stations.

There may be a few nutcakes that idolize Darwin, but this is minute compared to the amount of nutcakes that idolize a imaginary god, and the amount of suffering that the religious nutcakes cause is magnitudes greater that the suffering caused by atheist nutcakes.
18-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Lets face it, considering how many atheist there are in the world now, it was only a matter of time before we got our share of dangerous loonies.
It´s the part about charities that gets to me. Doesn't thethinkingatheist have a video that list like a billion-and-a-half secular charities?

18-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Does anyone else find it a bit humourous that religious organizations categorize atheists as religious due to acts of violence and then in the same breath swear that religion is beneficial and relatively nonviolent? Tongue

Nice one, Discovery Institute. Tongue

Extremists will be extreme by definition. We may one day far in the future rid the world of religious delusion, but I seriously doubt we'll ever rid our species of extremist delusion. It's sad.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2010, 02:50 AM
(18-09-2010 01:11 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  Does anyone else find it a bit humourous that religious organizations categorize atheists as religious due to acts of violence and then in the same breath swear that religion is beneficial and relatively nonviolent? Tongue

No. I find it sad, because lots of people lots of people believe that crap.
18-09-2010, 04:37 AM
(18-09-2010 02:50 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(18-09-2010 01:11 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  Does anyone else find it a bit humourous that religious organizations categorize atheists as religious due to acts of violence and then in the same breath swear that religion is beneficial and relatively nonviolent? Tongue

No. I find it sad, because lots of people lots of people believe that crap.

Agreed. It´s sad.
But it IS funny that they can say stuff like that without realizing how they are undermining their own argument.

19-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey.

This whole situation bothered me because I'm a huge fan of the works of Daniel Quinn and the mainstream media tried to blame him for this man's actions. Boourns.

I've never heard of the Discovery Institute before but, I gotta say, that was a largely reasonable piece. The only real sticking point is the idea that Atheists have something to say. Many people would say they don't so the article fails based on its premise. Others would say it's a reasonable warning against extremism of all kinds.

The terrorist thing makes me sick. He wasn't a terrorist. Period. This terrorism bogey man has to go. It's as insulting as it is an Orwellian danger.

All of that being said, it opens on some bullshit. "Another Atheist went on a rampage!" They're everywhere! It's an epidemic! Hyperbole at best, naked demagoguery at worst.

Hey, No. J.

Quote:The only reason that churches run orphanages is that orphanages are prime recruiting stations.

That is hard core cynical.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-09-2010, 03:56 PM
(19-09-2010 07:09 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, No. J.

Quote:The only reason that churches run orphanages is that orphanages are prime recruiting stations.

That is hard core cynical.

I may be being cynical, but based on how christians have murdered people who didn't convert to their idology, in past history, I would need serious evidence to the contrary to change my opinion.

http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm
19-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Oh, are atheists the ones that knock on my door all of the time trying to spread the word of Jesus? They're the ones that tell me I'm going to Hell for not believing in God, right? They're the ones who are fine with their atheist priests molesting children, is that correct? And they're also the ones that attacked Jerusalem in the 12th century to reclaim their holy land, no?

Oh, those atheists. What crazy extremists they are.