Poll: Do you think we will see one in your/our lifetime?
Yes
NO
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheist President

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Atheist President
Do you believe we will see an Atheist American President in your/our lifetime?

With the state of the union tonight, got me thinking. When Obama was running, there was so much made out of what he was or was not in regards to religion, my stance was who cares! I rather not have him talking to himself and awaiting answers on important policies (ie Bush and Iraq). So will we see it, I'm in my early 30's, I state no... But, would like general views on this.
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 12:36 PM

RE: Atheist President
I'd be happy if we could just get a President like Kennedy again who basically said his religion had nothing to do with it, and he didn't talk about it. Most of the Presidents we've had since are not only religous, but make a huge point of flaunting it publically. Oh no I doubt it very much if we'll see an Aetheist President in my lifetime (I'm 42), but I think it won't be too far after I'm gone.
25-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I agree with Dregs.

Although, I would point out that religious philosophy and language follows contemporary memes. I consider that the deism of the enlightenment period was very close to the weak atheism of today. Pantheism is as well, and given what we know today, I suspect that two of our finest presidents, Jefferson and Lincoln, would probably have been either pantheists or weak atheists today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 01:04 PM
(25-01-2011 12:36 PM)Dregs Wrote:  I'd be happy if we could just get a President like Kennedy again who basically said his religion had nothing to do with it, and he didn't talk about it.

That's not exactly a fair interpretation of Kennedy, though. He wasn't coming out and saying "religion doesn't matter to me". He was being attacked for being a Catholic, which was a religious minority and one met with suspicion amongst the legions of Protestants in the US, and he was saying that his religion would not unduly influence him and that the Pope would not be sitting in the White House with him. Similar to Lieberman defending his Judaism in 2000.

As for getting an atheist prez, I'm 42 as well and I don't think I'll live to see it either. I think the comment on Jefferson is right, though, and he was probably as close to an atheist as was possible in his time.

I think Obama is probably an agnostic, though. I can't prove that, but my sense is that he's not in any way a die hard Christian or relies on his faith. Yes, he sat in the pews and listened to that idiot in Chicago rant for years, but I think he did that just to belong to a church, as religious affiliation is a de facto prerequisite for running for office in the US. But, if you listen to his speeches, he never invokes god, prayer or diving providence. He got some mild flack recently for not invoking the concept of prayer when he spoke in Arizona after the Tuscon shootings. And, I think that was deliberate.

If my guess is right, it just goes to show that an agnostic can suck at the job just as much as an evangelical Christian.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-01-2011, 01:23 PM

(25-01-2011 01:04 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(25-01-2011 12:36 PM)Dregs Wrote:  I'd be happy if we could just get a President like Kennedy again who basically said his religion had nothing to do with it, and he didn't talk about it.

That's not exactly a fair interpretation of Kennedy, though. He wasn't coming out and saying "religion doesn't matter to me". He was being attacked for being a Catholic, which was a religious minority and one met with suspicion amongst the legions of Protestants in the US, and he was saying that his religion would not unduly influence him and that the Pope would not be sitting in the White House with him. Similar to Lieberman defending his Judaism in 2000.

That's actually what I meant, you worded it much better though LOL.
25-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Sadly the answer is no. The United States will never be fortunate enough to have an atheist president in my lifetime. Other countries may have atheist leaders in the next 60 to 70 years but not here. As long as they are liberal christians I will be fine, because that is as good as it will get. Extremist such as Bush need to stay away. What Bush did to our country will take probabaly the rest of our lifetime to recover from.....
25-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I would also point out that it was not that long ago that the conventional wisdom was that we would not see a black or a female president in our lifetime. Today, it's fairly commonly accepted that a woman may very well succeed Obama (whichever party wins) and we have had one "confirmed bachelor" president already as well. Ironically, the one group that seems to have the furthest to go is the one group which actually does skew more intellectual, more honest and more capable of critical thought and deliberation than any other single demographic.
25-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Sadly I think openly gay black female President holds a slight edge on Atheist based on current Vegas odds.
25-01-2011, 03:05 PM

(25-01-2011 01:42 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Sadly the answer is no. The United States will never be fortunate enough to have an atheist president in my lifetime. Other countries may have atheist leaders in the next 60 to 70 years but not here. As long as they are liberal christians I will be fine, because that is as good as it will get. Extremist such as Bush need to stay away. What Bush did to our country will take probabaly the rest of our lifetime to recover from.....

I don't think the last several were that great. Carter Might be the best one IMO. Which isn't saying much from those after him.

And the USA doesn't have liberals anymore, we have Extreme right and slightly extreme right. Reagen took this country from center to the extreme right and never been able to recover since.
(25-01-2011 02:05 PM)Dregs Wrote:  Sadly I think openly gay black female President holds a slight edge on Atheist based on current Vegas odds.

Big Grin Love IT!
25-01-2011, 05:51 PM
(25-01-2011 02:05 PM)Dregs Wrote:  Sadly I think openly gay black female President holds a slight edge on Atheist based on current Vegas odds.

Dregs - I think you're right, for now. Things are changing, but may take decades, maybe a century, before a non-theist could run for national office.

My latest article takes a hard look at religion and politics, but I included a Gallop Poll, from 2007, that showed 53% of Americans would vote against an atheist, while only 45% would consider voting for.

I entitled the article Judeo-Christian Mythology

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/01/...ology.html

Appreciate all the reads I've received from this site - love to hear your thoughts and get your feedback.

Cheers, Sean

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user