Poll: Do you think we will see one in your/our lifetime?
Yes
NO
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheist President

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2011, 06:35 PM

RE: Atheist President
We'd need a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY bad president to get an atheist elected to office, and even then, imagine the campaign ads. "Senator John Smith is an ATHEIST. That means he wants to rape your kids!"

The only reason Obama was able to get himself elected was because we had a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY bad president, but we'd need an even worse one to get an atheist elected. I'm 15, so presuming I live for another 70 years (fingers crossed; dies tomorrow), I believe it may be feasible. 70 years is a long time. 70 years ago was the 1940s. The rate of change in society has been accelerating for at least the past 200 years.
Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 10:16 AM

(25-01-2011 05:51 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(25-01-2011 02:05 PM)Dregs Wrote:  Sadly I think openly gay black female President holds a slight edge on Atheist based on current Vegas odds.

Dregs - I think you're right, for now. Things are changing, but may take decades, maybe a century, before a non-theist could run for national office.

My latest article takes a hard look at religion and politics, but I included a Gallop Poll, from 2007, that showed 53% of Americans would vote against an atheist, while only 45% would consider voting for.

I entitled the article Judeo-Christian Mythology

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/01/...ology.html

Appreciate all the reads I've received from this site - love to hear your thoughts and get your feedback.

Cheers, Sean

Sean, Very nicely done sir. Loved reading that and express very similar views.
26-01-2011, 10:35 AM
(26-01-2011 10:16 AM)AnthraxFan93 Wrote:  Sean, Very nicely done sir. Loved reading that and express very similar views.

Thanks AnthraxFan! Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed writing it, but I owe much of the credit to my wife. She said my previous post didn't go deep enough into the dangers of religion in politics and said I needed to get crackin' Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2011, 02:05 AM
You are a good writer, Seasbury. I hope you can get your writings to extremely large sections of the population.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
27-01-2011, 04:56 AM
(27-01-2011 02:05 AM)No J. Wrote:  You are a good writer, Seasbury. I hope you can get your writings to extremely large sections of the population.

No J. -- Thank you very much!

I'm trying to get some interest outside the 10% or so friends on Facebook that will take the time to read my rants (as I like to call them) Tongue

My wife wants me to send to magazines (Atlantic Monthly or something along those lines) but I'm still working on polishing my style - writing is a lot like going to the gym, and I've been away from it for a few years - just starting to feel like I'm hitting a stride. If you have any ideas on where/how to increase readership feel free to share Smile

Cheers, Sean

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
27-01-2011, 05:15 AM

as long as sarah palin doesn't make it into the white house then I'll be content... she hates gays and wants rape victims to go through with their pregnancies... Let's pray to god that she doesn't become president!
27-01-2011, 06:18 AM
(27-01-2011 05:15 AM)Speiraz Wrote:  as long as sarah palin doesn't make it into the white house then I'll be content... she hates gays and wants rape victims to go through with their pregnancies... Let's pray to god that she doesn't become president!

Palin is no doubt a scary prospect, but I really don't think she appeals to enough people (thank Jebus) to get elected.

Michele Bachmann on the other hand is scary. She's more attractive, charismatic, and articulate than Palin and just as freaking vacuous.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
27-01-2011, 06:36 AM
I think neither Bachmann nor Palin has any real shot at the White House. Palin certainly would not get the nomination as even a lot of Republicans do not like her. Bachmann definetely has a better shot but the reality is that the vast majority of the US are moderates. The extreme left and right dominate the political culture as its portrayed on TV and radio, probably because moderates are too busy going to work and spending time with their families. There is no way moderates are voting for Michele Bachmann in a national election. Quite honestly, I doubt she could win a Senate seat in her state, which means she has to run in more than just her district.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
27-01-2011, 07:27 AM
(27-01-2011 06:36 AM)BnW Wrote:  There is no way moderates are voting for Michele Bachmann in a national election. Quite honestly, I doubt she could win a Senate seat in her state, which means she has to run in more than just her district.

I tend to agree with BnW - but I never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter...and Minnesota is famous for electing fringe candidates - on all sides...

Just saying Bachmann looks to explore a run - just need to keep an eye on her and expose her every time she opens her mouth...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
27-01-2011, 03:49 PM
(27-01-2011 04:56 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  My wife wants me to send to magazines (Atlantic Monthly or something along those lines) but I'm still working on polishing my style -

maybe start with a news paper or two.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.