Atheist Professor Becomes Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 12:56 PM
This is a story that has been around for a couple of years but has recently been recycled on another blog and is apparently making its way around Facebook...

There are so many problems with this particular story. First off, it infers that atheists are all self-absorbed, intellectually dishonest, deniers of the truth who adamantly avoid reading anything that doesn't support their own belief system. On the contrary, since my own de-conversion, I have found that atheists are very open to reading the works or hearing the arguments of those who hold different viewpoints. Secondly, it implies that because a supposedly intelligent and educated atheist has become a Christian that Christianity has gained some sort of higher level of legitimacy. WTF? Frankly, the only thing on which her conversion reflects is herself, not Christianity, and certainly not in a good way.

Have any of you heard of this professor, Dr. Holly Ordway, or read her book, Not God’s Type?

Have any of you read any of the "sources" (Wright’s The Resurrection of the Son of God, Lewis’ Surprised By Joy, and Does God Exist? by Kreeft and Moreland) that supposedly changed her mind?

Lastly, I will leave you with a quote from the blog post... please read with thinly-veiled condescension for maximum effect.
Quote:But in the end she knew her intellectual drive for truth could not let her turn away. She knew she was drawn to the truth, that the New Testament is true and Jesus is real.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 01:01 PM
RE: Atheist Professor Becomes Christian
Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2015, 01:03 PM
It happens, but again it's one of THOSE cases.

By which I mean, someone who was motivated to understand or have an atheist position based on examination of the ideas of religion. She just never experienced religion early on her life and had it rather ignored or dismissed for 30 years of living. Never studying the branches of various religions and how they came about or why.

And of course, interesting that it was the NT gospels she had been lead to read by why not Qu'ran's text or various other texts. It's rather weak. I also like the poetry of John Keats and John Donne, it's fantastic but it's hardly just fantastic because of reaching for hope or Donne's Christian Monk views. Regardless of that they're well crafted thoughts that form interestingly.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-05-2015, 01:07 PM
I always love that stories of atheists becoming theists are proof of theism's truthfulness, but the thousands of theists that became atheists are either ignored or just "lost".

Quote:But in the end she knew her intellectual drive for truth could not let her turn away. She knew she was drawn to the truth, that the New Testament is true and Jesus is real.

I read that as "her intellectual drivel". Sounded about right.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 6 users Like CleverUsername's post
19-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I used Kreefts Socratic Logic book as a text book for my logic course text book. I found him to be a very enjoyable read, especially his footnotes. His book claims to have the largest collection of Fallacies of any logic book. The only other book I have read of his was Culture Wars, and that only partially and cursory. From what I gather from his works is that he tends toward the popular and sensationalist but is fairly capable of using logical arguments. He is a Catholic writer and was actually supposed to come to my school for a seminar but he had to cancel.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
19-05-2015, 01:16 PM
I have read the Ordway and Lewis books, and although I think both of them were sincere in their conversions, I didn't find their reasons for conversion at all compelling. Neither of them changed my mind. I would have to reread them to give any more detail than that.

On the other hand, I had the same sort of reaction when reading The God Delusion (Dawkins). I agreed with his conclusion, but found the arguments weak. I remember thinking "This isn't going to convince anyone who isn't already an atheist."
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-05-2015, 01:36 PM
The thing that I find funny about such stories is that the droves of non-college educated Christians, for some reason, equate "college professor" with "scientist" like they are both mutually inclusive terms. Ordway is a professor of English. Please see my comments from another atheist professor-turned-Christian thread...

(02-09-2012 04:11 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I love how they overemphasize the fact that Howard Storm was an atheist professor who became a Christian. I get the distinct impression that the show does this because they want the audience to think Storm is a highly trained biologist or physicist who is now applying his skills to scientifically prove near death experiences--i.e., his opinion should be trusted. (Actually, my suspicions have been confirmed by the video comments on youtube. One person wrote: “MOST PHYSICISTS ARE ARROGANT BULLIES BUT THIS GUY IS AMAZING. GOD BLESS YOU MAN. I WILL PRAY FOR ALL ATHEISTS.”) However, he is not a scientist of any kind; he was a professor of art at Northern Kentucky University back in the 80s. Knowing that makes the statement "atheist professor becomes a Christian" just as meaningless as “atheist plumber becomes a Christian.” I’m not saying art professors (or plumbers) are stupid; it’s just their expert opinion only carries weight in particular situations. This is NOT one of them. The fact that he goes on to insult people makes the matter worse. He is in no way qualified to berate people in a subject, in this case neurobiology, that he himself has no experience in. This means his statement, “You don’t know what you don’t know,” can be used against him.

Ordway is not a historian or archaeologist, so she lacks the credibility to verify the supposed truth of the bible. Therefore, her story of conversion doesn't affect me in anyway whatsoever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Quote: But she was no disinterested intellectual:...

How could she have been an honest intellectual and gotten so far in life without learning about any religion until in her 30's. Whether you believe in it or not, religion has shaped Western culture and I can't imagine anyone who both "intellectually interested" and a professor of literature and not have any idea about religion until after graduate school.

Quote:I got a kick out of being an unbeliever; it was fun to consider myself superior to the unenlightened, superstitious masses, and to make snide comments about Christians

So because this chick was a pompous ass, that makes us all pompous asses?

Whatever. Drinking Beverage

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-05-2015, 01:12 AM
I think its sensationalized bullshit.
20-05-2015, 02:07 AM
First this story could be fake, just like church claiming that someone returend to the fold on death bed. And if it's true then what? It means nothing as atheism is about lack evidence of god existing not doing what others do.

Though I understand purpose of this - some Christians like this kind of "proofs" and appeal to authority. So why not use or even fabricate uch story?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.