Atheist Professor Becomes Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2015, 02:13 AM
RE: Atheist Professor Becomes Christian
(19-05-2015 01:36 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The thing that I find funny about such stories is that the droves of non-college educated Christians, for some reason, equate "college professor" with "scientist" like they are both mutually inclusive terms. Ordway is a professor of English. Please see my comments from another atheist professor-turned-Christian thread...

(02-09-2012 04:11 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I love how they overemphasize the fact that Howard Storm was an atheist professor who became a Christian. I get the distinct impression that the show does this because they want the audience to think Storm is a highly trained biologist or physicist who is now applying his skills to scientifically prove near death experiences--i.e., his opinion should be trusted. (Actually, my suspicions have been confirmed by the video comments on youtube. One person wrote: “MOST PHYSICISTS ARE ARROGANT BULLIES BUT THIS GUY IS AMAZING. GOD BLESS YOU MAN. I WILL PRAY FOR ALL ATHEISTS.”) However, he is not a scientist of any kind; he was a professor of art at Northern Kentucky University back in the 80s. Knowing that makes the statement "atheist professor becomes a Christian" just as meaningless as “atheist plumber becomes a Christian.” I’m not saying art professors (or plumbers) are stupid; it’s just their expert opinion only carries weight in particular situations. This is NOT one of them. The fact that he goes on to insult people makes the matter worse. He is in no way qualified to berate people in a subject, in this case neurobiology, that he himself has no experience in. This means his statement, “You don’t know what you don’t know,” can be used against him.

Ordway is not a historian or archaeologist, so she lacks the credibility to verify the supposed truth of the bible. Therefore, her story of conversion doesn't affect me in anyway whatsoever.

I think we've discussed her here before. She's a professor of Literature or something. There are some YouTubes of her speeches. Essentially you hit the nail on the head. Being a professor of whatever does not make her an expert in anything other than her own field which has nothing to do with the subject at hand. It's called the "argument from authority". She's not very compelling at all.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-05-2015, 02:51 AM
I didn't read it and I'm not going to either since I've heard stories like this one too many times

the stories always involve the following:
1. so and so person is an atheist blah blah blah
2. the above is portrayed in a typical stereotype manner blah blah blah
3. portray Christians as open minded people you can't disagree with blah blah blah
4. make said "atheist" have moments of self doubt blah blah blah
5. press religion and its books as a source of truth blah blah blah
6. "atheist" becomes a theist blah blah blah
7. sheep spread this as global victory blah blah blah

does this story differ from what I listed above ?
20-05-2015, 04:12 AM
(20-05-2015 02:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
I think we've discussed her here before.

Yup. Here.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-05-2015, 06:34 AM
(20-05-2015 01:12 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think its sensationalized bullshit.

Is this true for those stories in which some semi-high profile theists, like a pastor becomes an atheist?

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/27/373298310/...god-exists

Or is it just sensationalized bullshit when it comes to atheists who find religion?

It seems like we all borrow from the same playbook.
20-05-2015, 06:46 AM
(20-05-2015 02:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  I didn't read it and I'm not going to either since I've heard stories like this one too many times

3. portray Christians as open minded people you can't disagree with blah blah blah

You nailed it. Are you psychic?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
20-05-2015, 06:53 AM
(20-05-2015 06:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 01:12 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think its sensationalized bullshit.

Is this true for those stories in which some semi-high profile theists, like a pastor becomes an atheist?

Or is it just sensationalized bullshit when it comes to atheists who find religion?

Thanks for yet another inane question.
Atheism is not a religion. Dumping nonsense for which there is a not a shred of evidence is not in any way equivalent to accepting the gift of faith from a god (and suspending reason). In fact they are pretty much "opposites".
But nice try in attempting to equate unrelated opposite events.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-05-2015, 06:55 AM

Oh wow, maybe you should do a bit more research on this guy. Seth had an interview with him awhile back, maybe listen to that for starters. Look into the clergy project as well.
Admittedly, it is a puzzling how an atheist becomes a theist and the stories we hear are usually so suspect, some simple thing like reading the bible does it. There is also history of theist making complete fabrications of stories to try to give them some sort of legitimacy as well. Atheist professor is a very common trope and usually has the aspects of a stereotypical atheist.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
20-05-2015, 08:03 AM
(20-05-2015 06:46 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 02:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  I didn't read it and I'm not going to either since I've heard stories like this one too many times

You nailed it. Are you psychic?

nope, every story like this I read always follows the same plot structure thats easy to refute as sensationalism
20-05-2015, 08:23 AM
(20-05-2015 06:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 06:34 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is this true for those stories in which some semi-high profile theists, like a pastor becomes an atheist?

Thanks for yet another inane question.
Atheism is not a religion. Dumping nonsense for which there is a not a shred of evidence is not in any way equivalent to accepting the gift of faith from a god (and suspending reason). In fact they are pretty much "opposites".
But nice try in attempting to equate unrelated opposite events.

What's inane about that?

I find it hard to believe that you can't entertain the notion that there can be similarities in the way that these things can be sensationalised.

Tommy was referring to hype, not content. Methinks you straw-manned.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-05-2015, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 09:04 AM by ClydeLee.)

Many of the atheist skeptical communities weren't that in favor of because it was sensational. Guys like Russell Glasser of the Atheist Experience and Non Phophets podcast kinda weren't keen on talking about it. When it was announced he was doing it and even after the year of his atheism thought. It's entirely that, a single bloggers jump to testing things that doesn't actually help anyone. it's just a new flash in the pan. They get sensationalized by some groups, but there are skeptical/atheist groups who don't care to go by that route as well. Just as there are Christian groups who will scoff at this conversion story.

Like others mentioned, The Clergy Project and Jerry DeWitts situation was something that deserved more press and got it. It's an attempt to make an effort to helping more people other than just be itself a sensational pitch. It's a program to help privately speak and deal with people in a unique and complex situation.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post