Atheist Professor Becomes Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2015, 08:48 AM
RE: Atheist Professor Becomes Christian
(19-05-2015 12:56 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  This is a story that has been around for a couple of years but has recently been recycled on another blog and is apparently making its way around Facebook...
Atheist Professor Becomes Christian

There are so many problems with this particular story. First off, it infers that atheists are all self-absorbed, intellectually dishonest, deniers of the truth who adamantly avoid reading anything that doesn't support their own belief system. On the contrary, since my own de-conversion, I have found that atheists are very open to reading the works or hearing the arguments of those who hold different viewpoints. Secondly, it implies that because a supposedly intelligent and educated atheist has become a Christian that Christianity has gained some sort of higher level of legitimacy. WTF? Frankly, the only thing on which her conversion reflects is herself, not Christianity, and certainly not in a good way.

Have any of you heard of this professor, Dr. Holly Ordway, or read her book, Not God’s Type?

Have any of you read any of the "sources" (Wright’s The Resurrection of the Son of God, Lewis’ Surprised By Joy, and Does God Exist? by Kreeft and Moreland) that supposedly changed her mind?

Lastly, I will leave you with a quote from the blog post... please read with thinly-veiled condescension for maximum effect.
Quote:But in the end she knew her intellectual drive for truth could not let her turn away. She knew she was drawn to the truth, that the New Testament is true and Jesus is real.

I've never read her book, or even heard of her until the thread DLJ dug up.

But I do find it mildly annoying, not specifically her, but other people holding it up as an example like in those adorable fax/email/Facebook stories about the angry atheist college professor running from the classroom because an egg didn't break or whatever.

I'm going to give her the benefit of doubt and say she wrote her story for Christians -- maybe writing it helped her...whatever.

But again, I find it annoying that someone who's never been religious, knows nothing about religion, calls themselves a former atheist when they become religious.

My friends, the few who know I'm atheist, will sometimes hold up these examples and say there's hope for me.

As if because I'm atheist my thought process had to be similar.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2015, 08:48 AM
(19-05-2015 01:07 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I always love that stories of atheists becoming theists are proof of theism's truthfulness, but the thousands of theists that became atheists are either ignored or just "lost".

Man bites dog is just more interesting bc it is rare. Dog bites man is mundane bc it happens all the time. IOW confirmation bias.
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
20-05-2015, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 09:25 AM by Tomasia.)
(20-05-2015 08:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That one many of the atheist skeptical communities weren't that in favor of because it was sensational. Guys like Russell Glasser of the Atheist Experience and Non Phophets podcast kinda weren't keen on talking about it. When it was announced he was doing it and even after the year of his atheism thought. It's entirely that, a single bloggers jump to testing things that doesn't actually help anyone. it's just a new flash in the pan. They get sensationalized by some groups, but there are skeptical/atheist groups who don't care to go by that route as well. Just as there are Christian groups who will scoff at this conversion story.

Like others mentioned, The Clergy Project and Jerry DeWitts situation was something that deserved more press and got it. It's an attempt to make an effort to helping more people other than just be itself a sensational pitch. It's a program to help privately speak and deal with people in a unique and complex situation.

In my view, theists and atheists often pull out the same card here. When a pastor or some university professor later becomes an atheist or a theist, it's sort of like if one were to catch a big fish, and gloat about it. Not only that, but each side tends to disparage the other's catch, as being an insignificant fish, as being sickly and ill fishes, and smugly considering themselves as the big catch, no one has ever been able to reel-in.

There's probably some truth to this, though not in relationship to whose penis is bigger. There does seem to be certain types of atheists and believers who are likely more prone to switching sides, than others who would be quite unlikely to ever switch sides. They are likely to see the former atheism or theism of these converts to be of little affinity to their own sense of disbelief or belief.

I don't particularly find former theists, whose former theism is even remotely relatable. I don't find people like myself ever becoming atheists. Which I'm sure is true even for many atheists here, that they never really find any atheist such as themselves ever becoming theist. And I think there's some truth to this, for both of us, though it doesn't particularly mean that any of us are better theists of atheists than those who recanted.
20-05-2015, 09:37 AM
(20-05-2015 09:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 08:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That one many of the atheist skeptical communities weren't that in favor of because it was sensational. Guys like Russell Glasser of the Atheist Experience and Non Phophets podcast kinda weren't keen on talking about it. When it was announced he was doing it and even after the year of his atheism thought. It's entirely that, a single bloggers jump to testing things that doesn't actually help anyone. it's just a new flash in the pan. They get sensationalized by some groups, but there are skeptical/atheist groups who don't care to go by that route as well. Just as there are Christian groups who will scoff at this conversion story.

Like others mentioned, The Clergy Project and Jerry DeWitts situation was something that deserved more press and got it. It's an attempt to make an effort to helping more people other than just be itself a sensational pitch. It's a program to help privately speak and deal with people in a unique and complex situation.

In my view, theists and atheists often pull out the same card here. When a pastor or some university professor later becomes an atheist or a theist, it's sort of like if one were to catch a big fish, and gloat about it. Not only that, but each side tends to disparage the other's catch, as being an insignificant fish, as being sickly and ill fishes, and smugly considering themselves as the big catch, no one has ever been able to reel-in.

There's probably some truth to this, though not in relationship to whose penis is bigger. There does seem to be certain types of atheists and believers who are likely more prone to switching sides, than others who would be quite unlikely to ever switch sides. They are likely to see the former atheism or theism of these converts to be of little affinity to their own sense of disbelief or belief.

I don't particularly find former theists, whose former theism is even remotely relatable. I don't find people like myself ever becoming atheists. Which I'm sure is true even for many atheists here, that they never really find any atheist such as themselves ever becoming theist. And I think there's some truth to this, for both of us, though it doesn't particularly mean that any of us are better theists of atheists than those who recanted.

At the end of the day who cares?

20-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Quote:My college science classes presented Christians as illiterate anti-intellectuals who, because they didn’t embrace Darwinism, threatened the advancement of knowledge.

What sort of college did she go to?

In my college science classes (Phys Anth 102, Phys Geog 101, Geol 102, Astro 101), we discussed science, not religion. Even in the Phys Anth class, which dealt with the evolution of H. Sapiens, there was no religious discussion. No discussion of the sociocultural ramifications of famous discoveries. No comparing evolution with creationism. And that's the way it should be.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Reminds me of Richard Lumsden of the ICR, atheist professor of cell biology turned creationist Christian.
20-05-2015, 10:15 AM
(20-05-2015 09:56 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
Quote:My college science classes presented Christians as illiterate anti-intellectuals who, because they didn’t embrace Darwinism, threatened the advancement of knowledge.

What sort of college did she go to?

In my college science classes (Phys Anth 102, Phys Geog 101, Geol 102, Astro 101), we discussed science, not religion. Even in the Phys Anth class, which dealt with the evolution of H. Sapiens, there was no religious discussion. No discussion of the sociocultural ramifications of famous discoveries. No comparing evolution with creationism. And that's the way it should be.

I think she's got a degree in literature, so religious discussion might come up more -- classical literature. But even in classes where that kind of topic is discussed, I've never had a professor behave that way.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2015, 10:20 AM
(20-05-2015 09:37 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  At the end of the day who cares?

The men in the room of course, we love to boast, and brag about how big and strong we are, and how little and weak the others are. We might be doing so to attract women, but the women tend to just roll their eyes at us.
20-05-2015, 10:36 AM
(20-05-2015 10:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 09:37 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  At the end of the day who cares?

The men in the room of course, we love to boast, and brag about how big and strong we are, and how little and weak the others are. We might be doing so to attract women, but the women tend to just roll their eyes at us.

I'll just leave you to wave your dick and I'll try not to point and giggle.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2015, 10:53 AM
(20-05-2015 09:21 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Here at TTA, It would appear to me that it is not a unilateral tactic, as I see more theists putting great emphasis on atheist to theist conversions and theist scientists. Most atheists do not feel the need to point out every theist turned atheist since it is not that special kind of an event. Theists need the ongoing validation of beliefs, which is what pointing to each individual conversion satisfies for them.

I also find it typical, and sad, that theists like yourself will flat out profess that you can never change your view and become atheist, or even agnostic towards a god. You will find numerous atheist here that will honestly say the their minds are open, and can change with evidence. Not the case with you. You have this belief in your one particular god, out of the other thousands of invented deities, that you think is correct and no evidence can discredit. That is sad, and is even more sad that leaders of countries share your limited views of reality.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —