Atheist Professor's Descent Into Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Video Atheist Professor's Descent Into Hell
So a relative sent these videos to me to watch:

Part 1:

Part 2:

I found myself feeling unusually down-spirited after watching these. I'm not sure why they bothered me so much. I would think I'm used to this nonsense by now. Maybe it was because my relative actually believes this crap without seeing how atrocious it is.

I'll give Howard Storm some credit. He did a reasonably good job of addressing the major questions a typical viewer might have with his complete fabrication. But he missed the big one. How can anyone watch this, understand about all the suffering people, and think it's somehow acceptable that Jesus answered this one guy's call for help while ignoring all the others? Dodgy I'm sorry, but the guy's claim that Jesus said "we never make a mistake" doesn't even begin to cut it. But my relative somehow missed it. Now I'm going to have to get into another of those lengthy conversations over this nonsense. Sigh. Dodgy

And, oh look, Howard Storm published a book. How not surprising. Rolleyes And he's a pastor now too. How convenient.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
02-09-2014, 05:13 PM
RE: Atheist Professor's Descent Into Hell
I haven't watched the clips, but I know of Howard Storm. He has been mentioned on the forum in the past. I'll post what I wrote in a former thread:

(02-09-2012 04:11 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I love how they overemphasize the fact that Howard Storm was an atheist professor who became a Christian. I get the distinct impression that the show does this because they want the audience to think Storm is a highly trained biologist or physicist who is now applying his skills to scientifically prove near death experiences--i.e., his opinion should be trusted. (Actually, my suspicions have been confirmed by the video comments on youtube. One person wrote: “MOST PHYSICISTS ARE ARROGANT BULLIES BUT THIS GUY IS AMAZING. GOD BLESS YOU MAN. I WILL PRAY FOR ALL ATHEISTS.”) However, he is not a scientist of any kind; he was a professor of art at Northern Kentucky University back in the 80s. Knowing that makes the statement "atheist professor becomes a Christian" just as meaningless as “atheist plumber becomes a Christian.” I’m not saying art professors (or plumbers) are stupid; it’s just their expert opinion only carries weight in particular situations. This is NOT one of them. The fact that he goes on to insult people makes the matter worse. He is in no way qualified to berate people in a subject, in this case neurobiology, that he himself has no experience in. This means his statement, “You don’t know what you don’t know,” can be used against him.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
02-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow, thanks for bringing that up. I remember that thread now, but I hadn't connected that this was the same guy. Watching the video in that thread, he sounds even more ridiculous. Nice fake tears too. Dodgy

By the way, I just remember another slip up from the videos I posted. At one point he made reference to the angels being pleased and Jesus being pleased and therefore God was pleased. Apparently he forgot the Jesus is supposed to be God. Rolleyes

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
02-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Matt Dillahunty has said that he could make a PILE of money if he just claimed he 'saw the light' and returned to chrsitianity. Some people just don't have Matt's integrity.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
02-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Seems like another Colton Burpo situation to me

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I've had dreams like that too...

Illness, emotional shock and trauma can induce some horrific, vivid nightmares.

Considering the pain he was in I'd imagine there was more than a little morphine involved too.

Just a mild case of flu induced similar dreams in me.

I remember one where I was on a bleak, rainy moorland, cold and afraid... There were thousands of people everywhere, all gathered in a circle for some reason... I kept asking where I was and how to get home, but the just spoke some strange words in a monotone voice.

Somehow I found myself at the center, where there was a small stone marker and what looked like the outline of a grave... I got the impression the people were worshipping whoever was buried there.

I tried to get out of the circle of people, but they kept pushing me back into the center. I believed I was a sacrifice to whoever was buried there.

It was very disturbing... But just a fever induced dream.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
02-09-2014, 09:21 PM
(02-09-2014 06:15 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Matt Dillahunty has said that he could make a PILE of money if he just claimed he 'saw the light' and returned to chrsitianity. Some people just don't have Matt's integrity.
Yeah, that's my guess too. Either he cooked up the whole thing or he really was in the hospital near death and that gave him the idea to cook up the rest.

(02-09-2014 06:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Seems like another Colton Burpo situation to me
Possibly. It's hard to say without knowing for sure in both cases how much was fabricated and how much was a dream.

(02-09-2014 08:54 PM)Sam Wrote:  Yeah, I've had dreams like that too...

Illness, emotional shock and trauma can induce some horrific, vivid nightmares.

Considering the pain he was in I'd imagine there was more than a little morphine involved too.
Very good point about the medication. That certainly could have contributed significantly.
That sounds like quite a dream you had too. Smile

02-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Dude ain't never tripped before and thought he saw God. Well no shit, that's kinda like what trippin' means. ... metaphysical child. Maybe he could be Luminon's adviser?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-09-2014, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 12:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-09-2014 10:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  So a relative sent these videos to me to watch:

Part 1:

Part 2:

I found myself feeling unusually down-spirited after watching these. I'm not sure why they bothered me so much. I would think I'm used to this nonsense by now. Maybe it was because my relative actually believes this crap without seeing how atrocious it is.

I'll give Howard Storm some credit. He did a reasonably good job of addressing the major questions a typical viewer might have with his complete fabrication. But he missed the big one. How can anyone watch this, understand about all the suffering people, and think it's somehow acceptable that Jesus answered this one guy's call for help while ignoring all the others? Dodgy I'm sorry, but the guy's claim that Jesus said "we never make a mistake" doesn't even begin to cut it. But my relative somehow missed it. Now I'm going to have to get into another of those lengthy conversations over this nonsense. Sigh. Dodgy

And, oh look, Howard Storm published a book. How not surprising. Rolleyes And he's a pastor now too. How convenient.

I don't buy a word of it. It's all a fat lie. Hospitals in France, (especially Paris ) are very good. I remember the docs saying if Diana had been cared for properly by the EMTs, and taken to any Paris hospital, she would have lived. (My uncle went to one to learn how to do an aortic valve procedure they didn't do at the time in the US yet). He said he got "no medication". Bullshit. He's just a liar. His simplistic notion of how he describes what an atheist is ("lives for the moment") reeks, and smells rotten. No one is THAT stupid. NDE's have been debunked. It's all a stinking pile of crap, and he's a liar. Rats have NDE's. Is Jebus coming for them ?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/08/...xperiences

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Yup I don't buy it either. Perhaps he really had the dream (not really a particularly exceptional dream) but perhaps the whole thing was simply made up, he does seem to be making money out of his story

Is there any record his hospital story is true? (Was he even there? Was it as he said?)
Is there any record that he was beforehand an "avowed atheist"?

Phil
[+] 1 user Likes phil.a's post