Atheist Promotional Videos?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2012, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 12:17 PM by TheArcticSage.)
Video Atheist Promotional Videos?
The main topic I would like to press here, is giving theists answers beneficial if they are no longer asking questions? If not, then shouldn't we be trying to inspire them to ask questions?

So I made a little video to try and promote the latter. However I also need feedback, is it a good video? Should I do more like them, that sort of thing.

To all those with open minds there is a seed of doubt already planted, all we must do is nurture it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheArcticSage's post
09-03-2012, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 12:35 PM by Eternal.)
RE: Atheist Promotional Videos?
By inspire them to ask questions don't you just mean to engage them on matters of belief even if they are not interested.

Isn't this what the religious who knock your door do? They are trying to inspire me into returning to Jesus. Personally I will engage people that are seeking, those that are not are welcome to hold whatever beliefs they so wish as long as they don't try to ram it down others throats. The moment we start engaging people who aren't interested we are as bad as the door knockers.

That being said, I don't disagree with such videos etc. The motivation behind them was more what I was getting at.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
(09-03-2012 12:28 PM)Eternal Wrote:  By inspire them to ask questions don't you just mean to engage them on matters of belief even if they are not interested.

Isn't this what the religious who knock your door do? They are trying to inspire me into returning to Jesus. Personally I will engage people that are seeking, those that are not are welcome to hold whatever beliefs they so wish as long as they don't try to ram it down others throats. The moment we start engaging people who aren't interested we are as bad as the door knockers.

Inspiring them to ask questions is a lot better than giving them answers to questions they have not asked, just because I ask them a question will it mean they will end up with my answer?

Think of it this way, a person is walking in a field of grass in the middle of nowhere. They are unaware of anything that is around him and and they are not interested in anything around them either. However I know, that the path he or she is taking will eventually lead them to step on a rattlesnake which will bite them and they will suffer excruciating pain before they die... and they WILL die.

Do you not think it my responsibility to inform the person that a rattlesnake is ahead of them? Religion is that rattlesnake, it is dangerous.
09-03-2012, 12:55 PM
(09-03-2012 12:38 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Inspiring them to ask questions is a lot better than giving them answers to questions they have not asked, just because I ask them a question will it mean they will end up with my answer?

Think of it this way, a person is walking in a field of grass in the middle of nowhere. They are unaware of anything that is around him and and they are not interested in anything around them either. However I know, that the path he or she is taking will eventually lead them to step on a rattlesnake which will bite them and they will suffer excruciating pain before they die... and they WILL die.

Do you not think it my responsibility to inform the person that a rattlesnake is ahead of them? Religion is that rattlesnake, it is dangerous.

As previously stated, you could use your argument there as a justification for why theists try to convert us. I do not agree with their actions, so I cannot agree with this.

I also think your metaphor is a bit off base, in the western world not many people die as a direct result of their religion. It may affect how they face death, but death is well, death. You are using the same mentality as the theist who is trying to save you from hell, making your approach no better than his.

If someone engages me, or comes to an atheist forum then it is reasonable to presume some doubt or need to bolster their beliefs is in their mind. At the very least they want to be active in some form of debate regarding it. It is therefore reasonable to engage such a person with whatever knowledge you possess.

Someone going about their daily life not looking into religion, these people should be left alone until they are ready. It is a very personal matter, to assume someones readiness to hear what you have to say is arrogant and rude.

I agree about inspiring people to ask questions, but the person must already be in a place where firstly they are open to such a suggestion and secondly they may be open to the answers to such a questions.

Why compare inspiring them to ask question to giving them answers to questions they did not ask, I never suggested that. The better thing to do would be to ignore both your suggestions and concentrate on the people who are actively seeking the truth. These people will want to talk, to everyone else you will just be a nut or fundamentalist pushing your own beliefs or disbelief.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
09-03-2012, 01:25 PM
(09-03-2012 12:55 PM)Eternal Wrote:  As previously stated, you could use your argument there as a justification for why theists try to convert us. I do not agree with their actions, so I cannot agree with this.

I also think your metaphor is a bit off base, in the western world not many people die as a direct result of their religion. It may affect how they face death, but death is well, death. You are using the same mentality as the theist who is trying to save you from hell, making your approach no better than his.

If someone engages me, or comes to an atheist forum then it is reasonable to presume some doubt or need to bolster their beliefs is in their mind. At the very least they want to be active in some form of debate regarding it. It is therefore reasonable to engage such a person with whatever knowledge you possess.

Someone going about their daily life not looking into religion, these people should be left alone until they are ready. It is a very personal matter, to assume someones readiness to hear what you have to say is arrogant and rude.

I agree about inspiring people to ask questions, but the person must already be in a place where firstly they are open to such a suggestion and secondly they may be open to the answers to such a questions.

Why compare inspiring them to ask question to giving them answers to questions they did not ask, I never suggested that. The better thing to do would be to ignore both your suggestions and concentrate on the people who are actively seeking the truth. These people will want to talk, to everyone else you will just be a nut or fundamentalist pushing your own beliefs or disbelief.

It could very well be used for why theists try to convert other, I am aware of that, that's just their generosity (or greed/ambition) taking over. If it is generosity then I am thankful, if it is greed or ambition, I welcome the debate to come.

Because murder is the only bad thing religion is capable of? It's also capable of Torture, Rape, Starvation, Suicides, Bigotry, Sexism, Racism... it goes on.

Inspiring them to ask questions is helping them get ready to find answers. Cool because having someone ask questions is a great and terrible thing is it not? If people were not given a little push, they would do nothing.

As for people not looking into their religion, don't you think it would be a bad idea to leave them alone? The consequences could be dire.
09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I would recomend using clips of movies based on historic events, (ie Agora, WWII holocaust movies,ect) to show that god doesn't care.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
09-03-2012, 01:32 PM
(09-03-2012 01:25 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Because murder is the only bad thing religion is capable of? It's also capable of Torture, Rape, Starvation, Suicides, Bigotry, Sexism, Racism... it goes on.

Guns kill people and pencils misspell words, right?

Religion is an excuse; not a cause. Humans are the cause. You have to be a human first before you can be religious. It's silly to attribute anything negative or positive religion because people and their actions are the reason for an end product; nothing else.

Gonna have to agree with Eternal here. We may be on the opposite side when it comes to religious beliefs, but he has said everything I think in regards of pushing an agenda on people.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-03-2012, 01:34 PM
(09-03-2012 01:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 01:25 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Because murder is the only bad thing religion is capable of? It's also capable of Torture, Rape, Starvation, Suicides, Bigotry, Sexism, Racism... it goes on.

Guns kill people and pencils misspell words, right?

Religion is an excuse; not a cause. Humans are the cause. You have to be a human first before you can be religious. It's silly to attribute anything negative or positive religion because people and their actions are the reason for an end product; nothing else.

Gonna have to agree with Eternal here. We may be on the opposite side when it comes to religious beliefs, but he has said everything I think in regards of pushing an agenda on people.

Somewhat agree, I think religion can influence people to a point, (Ie hitler killing gays) however as you see today, you have a choice to ignore your religion's teachings and go things about your way.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
09-03-2012, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 03:37 PM by Superluminal.)
I read free science publications from a few websites a lot and print them off. This particular one: http://www.azinet.com/aging/aging_theory...uction.pdf was sitting in a paper-clipped stack by my living room door one day when some little silly Mormons stopped by.

On a whim, I grabbed it off the table, and handed it to the guy who knocked. I told him, if you read this, and come back and give me a five minute explanation of the ways in which modern evolutionary theory has been adjusted to account for the problem of aging, I'll sit and listen to you talk about your book of Mormon for twice as long.

I haven't heard from them Tongue
[+] 5 users Like Superluminal's post
09-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Good job!
Any videos made on behalf of the Atheist cause are welcome by me!
Soon if not already, some bible thumper will show up in the comments and flood you with scripture and the same old arguments that we have all heard since Socrates first made them. Smile
Have fun and go get 'em!!

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TalladegaTom's post