Atheist Promotional Videos?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2012, 01:54 PM
RE: Atheist Promotional Videos?
Good questions but I didn't like the echo thing. It's was distracting and somewhat annoying to me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2012, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 01:58 PM by TheArcticSage.)
(09-03-2012 01:30 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I would recomend using clips of movies based on historic events, (ie Agora, WWII holocaust movies,ect) to show that god doesn't care.

My friend as well as being an atheist of a god I am also an atheist about the holocaust happening. So that would kind of be contradictory to what I hold true... ever since I learned that everything in recent history has become an inquiry of possibilities. I only believe that the president listing of the United States because I have no reason to doubt that and there are records of their existence.

As for Agora... I have yet to watch that, Hypatia, she's the kind of woman all intelligent people would want to associate themselves with.
[+] 1 user Likes TheArcticSage's post
09-03-2012, 02:00 PM
(09-03-2012 01:25 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  It could very well be used for why theists try to convert other, I am aware of that, that's just their generosity (or greed/ambition) taking over. If it is generosity then I am thankful, if it is greed or ambition, I welcome the debate to come.

Because murder is the only bad thing religion is capable of? It's also capable of Torture, Rape, Starvation, Suicides, Bigotry, Sexism, Racism... it goes on.

Inspiring them to ask questions is helping them get ready to find answers. Cool because having someone ask questions is a great and terrible thing is it not? If people were not given a little push, they would do nothing.

As for people not looking into their religion, don't you think it would be a bad idea to leave them alone? The consequences could be dire.

No I don't think it would be a bad idea to leave them alone. You are misunderstanding me. If someone is not questioning their religion and it is not encroaching on anyone else then how is it going to have dire consequences? It would have dire consequences if they are peddling it or acting on its tenets publicly, but this would then put them into the debate and open to discussion.

Why are you pointing out the injustices of religion to me. I only mentioned death because of your reference to it. I am well aware of what religion is capable of, the fact is that in the western world that influence is dwindling and the instances that are direct results of religion are rare.

You seem to have a misconception that all religious people are bad or unreasonable and if they are not already, then one day they will be. The simple fact is that for a lot of people religion plays a small part in their existence, it doesn't have an influence on their day to day lives, they may call themselves christians but they do not go to church or pay any attention to religion as a whole. They have jobs, mortgages, children, holidays, insecurities, hopes and dreams all not relating to religion. If you wish to engage such people under the pretence that they aren't questioning their religion enough, then I think it arrogant and rude, it shows a complete lack of awareness for other factors in peoples lives.

Spending time on atheist forums it is easy to get wrapped up in the injustice of it all, but the fact remains that the really crazy ones are still a relatively small minority. The amount of people that do not identify with a religion is growing at a far greater rate than any of the religions. I personally see some of the current madness as religion thrashing out because it is dying, it's a last attempt at self preservation, one which just makes it look all the sillier.

I am not disputing that religion should be challenged. Challenge those that need challenging, the perpetrators of the injustices, not the mechanic down the road that calls himself a christian but in reality pays little attention to it and if it came to the crunch couldn't give a fuck anyway.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Eternal's post
09-03-2012, 02:28 PM
(09-03-2012 01:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Religion is an excuse; not a cause. Humans are the cause. You have to be a human first before you can be religious. It's silly to attribute anything negative or positive religion because people and their actions are the reason for an end product; nothing else.

I disagree KC.
Religion IS a cause of negative actions.
It is true that it is people that carry out those things, but the ideas and methods originate in religion.
The ludicrous idea for example, that witches exist and that folks should kill them comes directly from religion/bible.
Any negative action as a result only occurs because religion/faith has suggested it.
Please note here, it is the fundamentalist that actually follows the text to the tee which makes a problem. They ARE merely following the instruction given them BY religion.
If there was no biblical mention of killing witches, folks would have no reason to do it let alone define it.
The idea would be meaningless.
It would likely NOT occur if rationality were applied and if religion was not there to suggest it.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2012, 03:07 PM
When it comes down to proof I can't prove that there is not a God, but I can say with much evidence to support my belief, that it there is a God, he doesn't give a crap about anyone on planet earth. Of that I have no doubt!

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
09-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't think it will achieve your objective.

I mean... picture yourself watching a creationist video with captions like

Do you ever wonder if God exists?
How did the universe get here? Isn't it possible that God created it?
Do you accept Jesus?
What do you think happens when you die?

Would it do anything other than piss you off? This feels like a creationist video but flipped around.

We don't accept evolution. We question it and everything else.

Hope you understand you asked for comment Wink Not bein' all judgmental, just giving you my take.
09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
(09-03-2012 03:07 PM)Thomas Wrote:  When it comes down to proof I can't prove that there is not a God, but I can say with much evidence to support my belief, that it there is a God, he doesn't give a crap about anyone on planet earth. Of that I have no doubt!

Sorry, either misread your post, or you have altered it so this is now irrelevant.

Mods please delete.

Friedrich Nietzsche
11-03-2012, 09:08 AM
People are free to believe what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt people around them.

I find that some doubt is necessary. Someone who has absolutely no doubts can for instance put him/herself above the (human) law, and can thus become dangerous.

This is quite rare nowadays though, as "dangerous" believers are usually exceptions if anything. But I find people who say that religion is not the cause of many misdeeds are wrong. The burning of witches and killing of gay people (as noted in this thread) would not have happened if not for religion.

That being said I find (strong) atheism to be quite narrow-minded. Considering how little we know about the universe I find it silly to completely deny the existence of a God. There are things like "The God Equation" who tries to logically explain God. How true this equation is I cannot tell. But complete denial is wrong.
[+] 2 users Like Dust's post
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM
(09-03-2012 03:41 PM)Eternal Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:07 PM)Thomas Wrote:  When it comes down to proof I can't prove that there is not a God, but I can say with much evidence to support my belief, that it there is a God, he doesn't give a crap about anyone on planet earth. Of that I have no doubt!

Sorry, either misread your post, or you have altered it so this is now irrelevant.

Mods please delete.

Sorry. We don't delete except for exceptional reasons.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2012, 10:11 AM
(11-03-2012 09:44 AM)lucradis Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 03:41 PM)Eternal Wrote:  

Mods please delete.

Sorry. We don't delete except for exceptional reasons.

No probs.

Friedrich Nietzsche