Atheist Promotional Videos?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
RE: Atheist Promotional Videos?
(09-03-2012 12:55 PM)Eternal Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 12:38 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Inspiring them to ask questions is a lot better than giving them answers to questions they have not asked, just because I ask them a question will it mean they will end up with my answer?

Think of it this way, a person is walking in a field of grass in the middle of nowhere. They are unaware of anything that is around him and and they are not interested in anything around them either. However I know, that the path he or she is taking will eventually lead them to step on a rattlesnake which will bite them and they will suffer excruciating pain before they die... and they WILL die.

Do you not think it my responsibility to inform the person that a rattlesnake is ahead of them? Religion is that rattlesnake, it is dangerous.

As previously stated, you could use your argument there as a justification for why theists try to convert us. I do not agree with their actions, so I cannot agree with this.

I also think your metaphor is a bit off base, in the western world not many people die as a direct result of their religion. It may affect how they face death, but death is well, death. You are using the same mentality as the theist who is trying to save you from hell, making your approach no better than his.

If someone engages me, or comes to an atheist forum then it is reasonable to presume some doubt or need to bolster their beliefs is in their mind. At the very least they want to be active in some form of debate regarding it. It is therefore reasonable to engage such a person with whatever knowledge you possess.

Someone going about their daily life not looking into religion, these people should be left alone until they are ready. It is a very personal matter, to assume someones readiness to hear what you have to say is arrogant and rude.

I agree about inspiring people to ask questions, but the person must already be in a place where firstly they are open to such a suggestion and secondly they may be open to the answers to such a questions.

Why compare inspiring them to ask question to giving them answers to questions they did not ask, I never suggested that. The better thing to do would be to ignore both your suggestions and concentrate on the people who are actively seeking the truth. These people will want to talk, to everyone else you will just be a nut or fundamentalist pushing your own beliefs or disbelief.

There is a difference between people knocking on your door at seven in the morning and posting a video that one may or may not watch on the internet.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
11-03-2012, 03:38 PM
(11-03-2012 11:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is a difference between people knocking on your door at seven in the morning and posting a video that one may or may not watch on the internet.

Agreed. And besides, I don't see why Arctic Sage needs to defend himself this many pages in for posting videos that none of us would have known about if he hadn't asked us for our critique of the video.

Otherwise, like has already been mentioned, my only critique is the echo thing doesn't work for me, personally.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I find the idea of the video really good.
But I turned my brainwashed me on and tried to watch it like a believer.
I would have blocked after a few sentences.
You are not being offensive there at all but religious people might find it so annoying that they won't even watch these 1:47 minutes to the end.
If it were more questions and the god thing came only in the end, something like
(just brainstorming a little)
Who inventended the light bulb?
How does a lightning appear?
<more random questions like this>
and in the end you'd be like... dunno
Why do you believe in God?

And you'd just leave it like that. Last thing said or written in the video and that's all.

Because in that case, you give a ton of points that have exactly nothing to do with religion and god and you leave them thinking about the questions you put in place and the final thought about god.
And then you come with more things like that in future videos and always the last thing in the video "Why do you believe in god?" or similar question.
I wouldn't be too explicit because that might more likely get you lots of trolls and little success with bringing people to really think.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
11-03-2012, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 06:03 PM by Eternal.)
(11-03-2012 11:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is a difference between people knocking on your door at seven in the morning and posting a video that one may or may not watch on the internet.

I agree completely and have stated having no objection to such videos in this thread.

What I disagreed with was the part of his original statement that implied he would like to get those not asking questions to question their beliefs. If someone is looking for videos on god or atheism, then they are looking into religion and the more information that's out there to encourage critical thinking the better. He implied that if they are not interested they should still be made to question their beliefs. I don't agree with that.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but as an atheist, people (especially theists) will pick up on every little point to paint you as the bad guy. Once they have one of these points everything else will go out of the window. I was questioning one of his motives, as they no doubt will in the comments section on Youtube, pointing out a weak spot in his wording if you will. In a free society we can choose to believe anything. They are free to choose, as am I. What I do not agree with is me then having the right to push my beliefs down the throats of anyone else whether they want to hear it or not, which was implied in his original statement and his rattlesnake/religion analogy. Which is where my statement about being as bad as the door knockers came from.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I agree that atheism should not be treated like a religion, in that it jams its dogma down people's throats. As far as I am concerned, however, it is impossible to force people to watch Youtube videos if they do not want to. Even if that was his intent, it would not effect anyone.

I do, although, see what you are getting at.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
lol...

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like craniumonempty's post
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 02:32 PM by Eternal.)
(12-03-2012 01:11 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I agree that atheism should not be treated like a religion, in that it jams its dogma down people's throats. As far as I am concerned, however, it is impossible to force people to watch Youtube videos if they do not want to. Even if that was his intent, it would not effect anyone.

I do, although, see what you are getting at.

That was my only point, it ended up being quite long winded, I must learn to be more succinct.

Everything else in the thread regarding videos I pretty much agree with.
(12-03-2012 02:28 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  lol...

That about covers it.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
14-07-2012, 11:21 AM
(09-03-2012 02:28 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I disagree KC.
Religion IS a cause of negative actions.
It is true that it is people that carry out those things, but the ideas and methods originate in religion.
The ludicrous idea for example, that witches exist and that folks should kill them comes directly from religion/bible.
Any negative action as a result only occurs because religion/faith has suggested it.
Please note here, it is the fundamentalist that actually follows the text to the tee which makes a problem. They ARE merely following the instruction given them BY religion.
If there was no biblical mention of killing witches, folks would have no reason to do it let alone define it.
The idea would be meaningless.
It would likely NOT occur if rationality were applied and if religion was not there to suggest it.
What you're implying here doesn't seem to add up, although it sounds like it would to someone who doesn't know better.
So, say I were to write a love letter to someone that looked like this -

"So like, I love you n stuff.
I would die for you.. n stuff.
Because you're the most awesome person on earth."

If that person took that letter and misunderstood what was meant by it (basically that I just love that person a lot), they could come away with something outlandish.
For example, if they believe that I was only alive because they are the most awesome person on earth, if they were to find out that they are indeed not the most awesome person on earth, they may feel guilty that if I find out.. that I will certainly die at that moment.

That really is a terrible example. There are a couple points I can make with that illustration: 1.) It is not my fault that she took that letter to mean something it certainly did not mean. So my letter is not the cause of her interpretation.
2.) People misinterpret scripture and end up like the clowns at Westboro Baptist.

And yes, I'm aware that many Atheists and Skeptics alike believe that (through their own interpretation of scripture) if Christians were to live by the book, we would be dangerous radicals.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
14-07-2012, 11:51 AM
(14-07-2012 11:21 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 02:28 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I disagree KC.
Religion IS a cause of negative actions.
It is true that it is people that carry out those things, but the ideas and methods originate in religion.
The ludicrous idea for example, that witches exist and that folks should kill them comes directly from religion/bible.
Any negative action as a result only occurs because religion/faith has suggested it.
Please note here, it is the fundamentalist that actually follows the text to the tee which makes a problem. They ARE merely following the instruction given them BY religion.
If there was no biblical mention of killing witches, folks would have no reason to do it let alone define it.
The idea would be meaningless.
It would likely NOT occur if rationality were applied and if religion was not there to suggest it.
What you're implying here doesn't seem to add up, although it sounds like it would to someone who doesn't know better.
So, say I were to write a love letter to someone that looked like this -

"So like, I love you n stuff.
I would die for you.. n stuff.
Because you're the most awesome person on earth."

If that person took that letter and misunderstood what was meant by it (basically that I just love that person a lot), they could come away with something outlandish.
For example, if they believe that I was only alive because they are the most awesome person on earth, if they were to find out that they are indeed not the most awesome person on earth, they may feel guilty that if I find out.. that I will certainly die at that moment.

That really is a terrible example. There are a couple points I can make with that illustration: 1.) It is not my fault that she took that letter to mean something it certainly did not mean. So my letter is not the cause of her interpretation.
2.) People misinterpret scripture and end up like the clowns at Westboro Baptist.

And yes, I'm aware that many Atheists and Skeptics alike believe that (through their own interpretation of scripture) if Christians were to live by the book, we would be dangerous radicals.
Yes, your example is terrible.

The Bible clearly states that "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live". It directs one to a) believe in witches and b) to kill them. It has many other very direct and clear abominable instructions.

When you decide to interpret the Bible or other 'inspired' book, you are using your own ethics and morality to accept, reject, or modify the instructions therein. If you just blindly follow them, you are irrational.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2012, 12:18 PM
(14-07-2012 11:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, your example is terrible.

The Bible clearly states that "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live". It directs one to a) believe in witches and b) to kill them. It has many other very direct and clear abominable instructions.

When you decide to interpret the Bible or other 'inspired' book, you are using your own ethics and morality to accept, reject, or modify the instructions therein. If you just blindly follow them, you are irrational.
Still your interpretation.
There's not much more to it.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde