Atheist/Religious Fiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Atheist/Religious Fiction
Maybe there is and I haven't noticed it, but there seems to be a lack of the sort of religious fiction an atheist might write. By that I mean stories featuring or set in Heaven or Hell, with God, Jesus, Satan, etc as characters.

It occurs to me that there's huge potential in this, but even with the number of people self publishing with kindle, I haven't found anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 03:58 AM
RE: Atheist/Religious Fiction
Well you could always check out some fan fiction websites
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2013, 04:01 AM
Ever heard of the Bible? Smile

Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy also come to mind, though they don't exactly fit what you're suggesting as I don't think they were meant to be exactly fiction not to mention their age. I agree though, that does sound like something I would buy and it seems there would be a market for it. However, I could see publishing companies having a hard timing signing on to something like that thanks to the religious majority.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
05-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Or you could self publish
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2013, 04:33 AM
(05-08-2013 04:03 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Or you could self publish

Thankfully, that's getting easier and easier to do these days, but it's hard to get noticed that way.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
05-08-2013, 04:52 AM

I have a confession to make, I'm tinkering with a few ideas along the lines I put in the OP and this is what I'll be doing. I'm just wondering what people think of the idea.
05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
(05-08-2013 04:52 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  

I have a confession to make, I'm tinkering with a few ideas along the lines I put in the OP and this is what I'll be doing. I'm just wondering what people think of the idea.

Have you checked out the comic book world? There are several that are set in heaven/hell and have many of the aspects your talking about.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
"The Lives of the Saints"
Tons of religious fiction.

BTW, Elder. What a perfect name.
(For an Amish guy driving a horse and buggy). Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-08-2013, 09:00 AM
(05-08-2013 09:56 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Have you checked out the comic book world? There are several that are set in heaven/hell and have many of the aspects your talking about.

I must admit, I'm not much of a comic book fan, but now you mention it I can see that the genre is perhaps more likely to go down this route. I might have a look at what there is.
06-08-2013, 09:06 AM
(05-08-2013 10:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, Elder. What a perfect name.
(For an Amish guy driving a horse and buggy). Tongue

Why thank you, although its equally appropriate for a fat Mormon who likes sci-fi and makes stuff up.

Incidentally, don't you think the Mormon view of the universe is a wonderful ready made environment for fiction?