Atheist/Religious Fiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: Atheist/Religious Fiction
(06-08-2013 09:06 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Incidentally, don't you think the Mormon view of the universe is a wonderful ready made environment for further fiction?

fixt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 12:28 PM
(06-08-2013 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 09:06 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Incidentally, don't you think the Mormon view of the universe is a wonderful ready made environment for further fiction?

fixt.

Well played sir Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2013, 02:55 PM
What would make " religious fiction an atheist might write" so special? I really don't get it?

Most fiction I read (horror, fantasy, sci-fi are the kinds I read most) either have some made-up religion, or no mention of religion at all.
Actually the only piece of fiction I can recall, from the top of my head, that had anything to do with any sort of legit religion, is Notre-Dame de Paris (the hunchback of Notre Dame), and that was more a critique about the corruption of religion than anything else.

I guess my question is, what would it contribute to the piece of fiction, that the writer is an atheist?
07-08-2013, 02:58 PM
(06-08-2013 09:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  

fixt.

It is.
It's called sciencetology.
08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Would be rather dull, God being all knowing and all powerful, how exactly do you have any drama for the characters? No suspense.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"
08-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Shit, son. It's called Lord of Light, and Roger Zelazny wrote it 55 years ago.

... this is my signature!
08-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Just remembered the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. It isn't necessarily religious fiction, but it is about killing god.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
09-08-2013, 12:59 AM
(08-08-2013 06:55 PM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Would be rather dull, God being all knowing and all powerful, how exactly do you have any drama for the characters? No suspense.

We only have god's word for it that he is all knowing and powerful. What if that's not quite true?
09-08-2013, 01:00 AM
(07-08-2013 02:55 PM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  I guess my question is, what would it contribute to the piece of fiction, that the writer is an atheist?

It might make them willing to explore ideas and concepts that would be considered blasphemy.
09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I actually considered writing Satan's rebuttal to the Bible, but I knew it would make me look like a theistic Satanist because of my portrayal of the character so I never did it.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab