Atheist Scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Atheist Scientists
Only 33% of scientists in the U.S. believe in god according to the Pew Research Project (18% believe in a spirit or higher power). So I find it curious that as a scientist who has trained with other scientists and is surrounded by them at work and surely must have known and currently know atheist scientists, that at least in my experience, I only know for sure that three of my scientist friends and acquaintances are atheists. I think this is because we very seldom talk among ourselves about our atheism. Do other people have a similar experience? It is interesting that even when we are surrounded by atheists, we have not tended to be openly secular.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: Atheist Scientists
Does not matter personally what a scientist believes outside a lab. Religion and holy books do not define science they are mere books of myth and reflect the social desires of the societies that buy into them. Science is completely independent of religion and god belief.

I grow to hate posts like this, because it fuels the stupid notion that religion can compete with science. It cannot. one is made up and wishful thinking, the other is a real pragmatic universal tool.

Christianity started the trend long ago of attacking science. But in the recent past they have learned the hard way they cant attack it. Some still do, but resort to trying to co opt science like they own a patent on it which no religion does.

The rest of the theistic world is catching on to their tactic and I have run into Muslims and Jews and Hindus who try to do the same in either attacking science or co opting science to convince others they belong to the only club that matters.

I would highly advise anyone reading this who has likely read "The God Delusion" By Dawkins to add to that Victor Stenger's "God The Failed Hypothesis" and also Victor's "The New Atheism".

There is no splitting the baby on this like some theist scientist try to do. Science will never favor any holy book or religious club. It is neutral and explains reality fine without religious bias.

Evolution existed long before any current god claims montheistic or polytheistic. Our species superstitions and invisible sky hero claims will die with us when our species goes extinct. The planet will eventually die and our sun as well. The universe will continue on with no record of our planet's human invented superstitions.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
22-01-2015, 09:49 AM
(22-01-2015 09:25 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Only 33% of scientists in the U.S. believe in god according to the Pew Research Project (18% believe in a spirit or higher power). So I find it curious that as a scientist who has trained with other scientists and is surrounded by them at work and surely must have known and currently know atheist scientists, that at least in my experience, I only know for sure that three of my scientist friends and acquaintances are atheists. I think this is because we very seldom talk among ourselves about our atheism. Do other people have a similar experience? It is interesting that even when we are surrounded by atheists, we have not tended to be openly secular.

Isn't that kinda the point?
I mean, when you have an environment where god is not an issue, and nobody is talking about it, isn't that what a world without religion would be like?
22-01-2015, 11:24 AM
That is what I am trying to understand Pablo. Maybe because we are surrounded by more pore people that use reason, we just assume that other scientists (unless they are openly religious) are atheists. Brian, I would respond to your post, but I have no idea, how it relates to mine.
22-01-2015, 12:33 PM
I have heard it claimed (both by an atheistic scientist and by a religious fundamentalist who was hostile to science) that you must be an atheist in order to be a scientist, and that seems in line with what Brian is saying.

However, there certainly are theistic scientists, so we can't just deny the possibility. Such scientists would have a dilemma if their scientific findings conflict with their religious beliefs, and it might be interesting to see how they deal with that. I'm sure they don't all automatically become atheists whenever there's a conflict.

As for why the atheistic ones don't publicly declare their atheism, that could be because they feel it's irrelevant, or because there's still a bit of a social stigma associated with atheism (at least in the US). For the same reasons, most people don't publicly declare their sexual orientation.
22-01-2015, 12:52 PM
(22-01-2015 09:25 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Only 33% of scientists in the U.S. believe in god according to the Pew Research Project (18% believe in a spirit or higher power). So I find it curious that as a scientist who has trained with other scientists and is surrounded by them at work and surely must have known and currently know atheist scientists, that at least in my experience, I only know for sure that three of my scientist friends and acquaintances are atheists. I think this is because we very seldom talk among ourselves about our atheism. Do other people have a similar experience? It is interesting that even when we are surrounded by atheists, we have not tended to be openly secular.

I can think of several reasons for not "coming out", social stigma, familial pressures, Compartmentalization etc.

I have found that people indoctrinated into beliefs not always question said indoctrination without a catalyst, death in the family, an intellectual challenge by a colleague and so on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-01-2015, 01:27 PM
(22-01-2015 12:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

I can think of several reasons for not "coming out", social stigma, familial pressures, Compartmentalization etc.

I have found that people indoctrinated into beliefs not always question said indoctrination without a catalyst, death in the family, an intellectual challenge by a colleague and so on.

Once again you beat me to the punch.

It's also worth mentioning that science isn't in a lab trying to disprove religion...

...it just happens to be a humorous byproduct.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
27-01-2015, 11:31 AM

Would you care to comment on how devout theists make out in your community when they speak up about their belief systems? Do you see people winning NIH funding and etc. quickly when they mention Jesus in their career paths?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I have two colleagues that are open about their religious beliefs. They are both very successful scientists (they have been well funded and published a lot in top tier journals). They are respected in their fields (and in our department) because they both do quality science. No grant they submit would have any mention of their religious beliefs, so this is not an issue.
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
27-01-2015, 11:54 AM
(27-01-2015 11:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Would you care to comment on how devout theists make out in your community when they speak up about their belief systems? Do you see people winning NIH funding and etc. quickly when they mention Jesus in their career paths?

Q, if there was actually evidence for Jebus, then the seminal paper for it's justification would be earth shattering. The reason why no one mentions deities in science is that there is absolutely no reason to invoke one. No one wins NIH funding for invoking jesus because nothing having to do with it is testable. Why should anyone get funding for a hypothesis where no experiment may be designed? The NIH couldn't care less on what a person's personal views are but in terms of science, god has never had a place in it and it is pretty obvious why. I kind of doubt that you ever have read an NIH grant proposal. Drinking Beverage

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac