Atheist Scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 11:57 AM
RE: Atheist Scientists
(27-01-2015 11:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 09:25 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Only 33% of scientists in the U.S. believe in god according to the Pew Research Project (18% believe in a spirit or higher power). So I find it curious that as a scientist who has trained with other scientists and is surrounded by them at work and surely must have known and currently know atheist scientists, that at least in my experience, I only know for sure that three of my scientist friends and acquaintances are atheists. I think this is because we very seldom talk among ourselves about our atheism. Do other people have a similar experience? It is interesting that even when we are surrounded by atheists, we have not tended to be openly secular.

Would you care to comment on how devout theists make out in your community when they speak up about their belief systems? Do you see people winning NIH funding and etc. quickly when they mention Jesus in their career paths?

Oh and BTW, at the large pharma company where I worked, there were a few bible studies that operated during lunch time. No one cared.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I would add that us science geeks are equal opportunity lovers of science. We love a sexy bit of science whether it comes from an atheist or a theist.
27-01-2015, 12:40 PM
(22-01-2015 09:49 AM)pablo Wrote:  I mean, when you have an environment where god is not an issue, and nobody is talking about it, isn't that what a world without religion would be like?
In my country, religion isn't really an issue. The vast majority of people respect people's right to believe whatever they want.

Religion isn't talked about at work at all. It's a non issue.
27-01-2015, 12:42 PM
(27-01-2015 12:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 09:49 AM)pablo Wrote:  I mean, when you have an environment where god is not an issue, and nobody is talking about it, isn't that what a world without religion would be like?
In my country, religion isn't really an issue. The vast majority of people respect people's right to believe whatever they want.

Religion isn't talked about at work at all. It's a non issue.

How long before the southern US reaches that type of culture - maybe 1000 years or so!!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
27-01-2015, 01:00 PM
(27-01-2015 12:42 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  How long before the southern US reaches that type of culture - maybe 1000 years or so!!
Seems like USA might benefit from letting the bible belt states go independent.
But if they do, they ought to give the non Christians plenty of time to relocate out of the pending theocracy, it could become a very dangerous place.
27-01-2015, 01:54 PM
I think there's even a difference between the physical sciences and the biological & social sciences. I'm a chemist. I know very few theistic chemists. More biologists seem to lean theist. And I'd bet that the social scientists were every bit as theistic as their societies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 03:41 PM
(27-01-2015 01:54 PM)dcobranchi Wrote:  I think there's even a difference between the physical sciences and the biological & social sciences. I'm a chemist. I know very few theistic chemists. More biologists seem to lean theist. And I'd bet that the social scientists were every bit as theistic as their societies.

I am a chemist and I worked for years with a reborn christian that just said "god is the greatest scientist" when I would press him on the periodic table or atomic theory.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
27-01-2015, 03:45 PM
(27-01-2015 03:41 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I am a chemist and I worked for years with a reborn christian that just said "god is the greatest scientist" when I would press him on the periodic table or atomic theory.

hardly the greatest, I mean not even one peer-reviewed article let alone a nobel prize

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
28-01-2015, 11:33 AM
(27-01-2015 11:45 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I have two colleagues that are open about their religious beliefs. They are both very successful scientists (they have been well funded and published a lot in top tier journals). They are respected in their fields (and in our department) because they both do quality science. No grant they submit would have any mention of their religious beliefs, so this is not an issue.

My point is yours, too:

Quote:No grant they submit would have any mention of their religious beliefs, so this is not an issue.

Why is that so, do you think?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
28-01-2015, 11:35 AM
(27-01-2015 11:54 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 11:31 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Would you care to comment on how devout theists make out in your community when they speak up about their belief systems? Do you see people winning NIH funding and etc. quickly when they mention Jesus in their career paths?

Q, if there was actually evidence for Jebus, then the seminal paper for it's justification would be earth shattering. The reason why no one mentions deities in science is that there is absolutely no reason to invoke one. No one wins NIH funding for invoking jesus because nothing having to do with it is testable. Why should anyone get funding for a hypothesis where no experiment may be designed? The NIH couldn't care less on what a person's personal views are but in terms of science, god has never had a place in it and it is pretty obvious why. I kind of doubt that you ever have read an NIH grant proposal. Drinking Beverage

In my past life, I worked for a college of medicine at a university where I edited stuff for PIs and even our department chair.

The problem is the sweeping statements you are making like " in terms of science, god has never had a place in it and it is pretty obvious why". First, God had the premier place in science for millennia until the "Enlightenment". Your biases are showing. XYZ!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.