Atheist Scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: Atheist Scientists
(22-01-2015 09:25 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Only 33% of scientists in the U.S. believe in god according to the Pew Research Project (18% believe in a spirit or higher power). So I find it curious that as a scientist who has trained with other scientists and is surrounded by them at work and surely must have known and currently know atheist scientists, that at least in my experience, I only know for sure that three of my scientist friends and acquaintances are atheists. I think this is because we very seldom talk among ourselves about our atheism. Do other people have a similar experience? It is interesting that even when we are surrounded by atheists, we have not tended to be openly secular.

Religion has nothing to do with school, science, or outside of church activities like sports or anything else.

So why would anyone even WANT to bring it up unless they are some fundi nutjob?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
RE: Atheist Scientists
(02-02-2015 09:27 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 09:25 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Only 33% of scientists in the U.S. believe in god according to the Pew Research Project (18% believe in a spirit or higher power). So I find it curious that as a scientist who has trained with other scientists and is surrounded by them at work and surely must have known and currently know atheist scientists, that at least in my experience, I only know for sure that three of my scientist friends and acquaintances are atheists. I think this is because we very seldom talk among ourselves about our atheism. Do other people have a similar experience? It is interesting that even when we are surrounded by atheists, we have not tended to be openly secular.

Religion has nothing to do with school, science, or outside of church activities like sports or anything else.

So why would anyone even WANT to bring it up unless they are some fundi nutjob?

The perspective of history is that in our recent past, people were more religious, and religion and the scriptures (in the West) permeated each aspect of culture. It's hard to imagine issues of the modern day in the U.S. from the Bill of Rights and slavery, temperance and suffrage up to Roe v. Wade without including religion.

My point is that somehow it is not "scientific" to be "religious" if one is an academic who dares to bring religion to the workplace. But perhaps science is no more PC than other fields today in general. Yet where taken to extremes, scientism is firm in denying religion and things pertaining to God.

"The wicked shall be turned into Sheol, and all the nations that forget God." - Psalms 9:17

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply