Atheist Servicemen?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2011, 10:17 PM
RE: Atheist Servicemen?
Canadian army, Private recruit with the 37th service battalion, re-enlisting as military police after I get my police training certificate.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Belgian Navy, OR-6 (petty officer 1st class), operations department

We too have christian services every sunday. And since we don't have a church or chapel, the chaplain just uses the petty officer's bar... wether we like it or not.

Apart from that, we don't have pledges with God in it, we just have to swear allegiance to the king. But I suppose undemocratic feudal systems are off-topic.

PS: Our religion is printed on our dogtags. Is that also the case in other armed forces?
Mine says 'vrijzinnig'', which translates as liberal/secular, they wouldn't accept 'atheist'

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
27-04-2011, 03:32 AM
(27-04-2011 12:12 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Mine says 'vrijzinnig'', which translates as liberal/secular, they wouldn't accept 'atheist'

Hmm, what's the reason behind that? If there is any and if you know.
27-04-2011, 04:50 AM
(27-04-2011 03:32 AM)Snuff Wrote:  
(27-04-2011 12:12 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Mine says 'vrijzinnig'', which translates as liberal/secular, they wouldn't accept 'atheist'

Hmm, what's the reason behind that? If there is any and if you know.

I don't think, the navy thinks for me Wink. The armed forces have always had an archaic administration, so I suppose this is just another remnant of it. Good question, though... I'll look into it and let you know if I find out.

I'd personally like 'anti-theist/secular humanist' engraved on them.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
27-04-2011, 05:07 AM
(27-04-2011 04:50 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  I'd personally like 'anti-theist/secular humanist' engraved on them.

When I went to Iraq in 2004 as a civilian, I had to go through the military transition process - getting uniforms, gear, etc. issued as well as poked a million times (it seemed) with inoculations and vaccinations.

Anyway, I had to get dogtags as well. When it came to religion, they truly didn't care what you said you wanted on there. I know people that put "Druid," "Gnostic (mine)," "Atheist." The clerk just wanted to make sure it was spelled correctly...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2011, 09:43 AM
My partner is an atheist in the Canadian army. His dog tags just say N/A under religion, 'cause that's what they put if you're non-religious. However, he's been advised many times that if you're overseas in a religious country (i.e. Afghanistan) and you get captured by the Taliban, you should say you believe in a god even if you don't 'cause they won't treat "infidels" very well...

But from what my partner has told me, there are quite a bit of atheists/agnostics in the Canadian army, mostly 'cause there are just so many young guys/girls, and the young adults in this country are pretty secular for the most part.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
27-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I would think if I were to be captured by the Taliban I'm going to either be rescued by my brothers or die a horrible death from them... Although I don't plan on being captured by those bastards I would make sure I killed as many as possible and stab the others after I'm out of ammunition Wink
27-04-2011, 02:21 PM
(27-04-2011 09:46 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I would think if I were to be captured by the Taliban I'm going to either be rescued by my brothers or die a horrible death from them... Although I don't plan on being captured by those bastards I would make sure I killed as many as possible and stab the others after I'm out of ammunition Wink

Always save one grenade.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
27-04-2011, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2011 03:25 PM by Buddy Christ.)
US Army. M1A1 Abrams Tank Crewman, 19K. (I make-a da boom booms). E-5.

And our base didn't care if we made our own dogtags so my religion said Angel of Death.

My platoon spent about 31+ months in Iraq over 2 tours and after seeing the bigotry, misogyny, and outright ridiculousness of country wide call-to-prayers and hearing the cognitive limits of the "wisest" imams the region has to offer... most soldiers lose whatever religious faith they had. Except for those dumbass redneck soldiers secretly trying to hand out Bibles of course.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
27-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks Buddy Christ Smile !!!!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user