Atheist Who Enjoy Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Atheist Who Enjoy Christmas?
This is my first real holiday season as an open Atheist.
Thanksgiving went smooth because its just a giant get-together but, Christmas has me confused.

I don't believe any of the mythical stuff behind it but I really enjoying doing that Dirty-Santa game, seeing lights, and such. The biggest issue is that every year I would go to midnight service at a Catholic church, knowing I'm not going to be invited by my dad to go this year kind of hurts. Even when I was a closet Atheist the birth of Jew zombie got me in the joyful mood!

-_-' grrrrr

I'm just not sure how to conduct myself now that everyone knows I'm an Atheist on Christmas or how to explain enjoying it.

How do you see it on your end?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: Atheist Who Enjoy Christmas?
I love Christmas.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-12-2013, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 08:30 PM by Logisch.)
Uh, well, regardless of where it started... pretty much no one I know celebrates it for religious purposes even though they "claim to".... They get together, have dinner, shoot the shit, get drunk off of egg nog, play stupid ass music that no one likes, tell stupid and embarrassing stories, open presents and have fun. Don't need to be any specific belief or non-belief to do that.

And Jesus said unto them: "Open presents, get drunk off of egg nog, tell stupid stories and be loud and play shitty music.... if you do not, I will send you to hell."

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
09-12-2013, 09:23 PM
I love the idea of having one day a year when we put aside our animosities and treat each other like human beings. What's wrong with that? I like the excuse to give gifts to my family and friends. I like having a day to celebrate my family and friends, and to show them I appreciate them.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
09-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Deja Vu?

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
09-12-2013, 10:34 PM
(09-12-2013 07:50 PM)SparkByTouch Wrote:  This is my first real holiday season as an open Atheist.
Thanksgiving went smooth because its just a giant get-together but, Christmas has me confused.

I don't believe any of the mythical stuff behind it but I really enjoying doing that Dirty-Santa game, seeing lights, and such. The biggest issue is that every year I would go to midnight service at a Catholic church, knowing I'm not going to be invited by my dad to go this year kind of hurts. Even when I was a closet Atheist the birth of Jew zombie got me in the joyful mood!

-_-' grrrrr

I'm just not sure how to conduct myself now that everyone knows I'm an Atheist on Christmas or how to explain enjoying it.

How do you see it on your end?

It sounds like many of the Christmas activities you like are the ones that don't have anything to do with the Christian myth, so there's no sense in trying to reconcile all that.

If you really enjoy the midnight mass, then go to it. Tell your family you're still interested out of a sense of tradition.
09-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I can’t speak from being an open atheist cuz I’m still hiding Sad and that’s a whole other story. I have not celebrated Christmas as a Christian holiday for years. Like you I really enjoy the exchanging gifts with friends and family, the decorations (lights and pretty trees), and the pleasure of good company and food. I still enjoy some Christmas music, not for the mythical message but for the music itself. In place of the celebration of the sky papa’s son, I started hosting a pot luck dinner with friends and family. I started a new tradition that reflected what I was comfortable with. We enjoy a good meal, good conversations, and some games now and then. I think you need to try and do the things that make you feel happy. Perhaps a new tradition can take the sting out of not being invited to midnight service and create a situation for new happy memories. Just a thought
09-12-2013, 10:56 PM
(09-12-2013 10:46 PM)isisosborne Wrote:  I have not celebrated Christmas as a Christian holiday for years.
I think many Americans - even moderately religious ones, are really celebrating the secular side of Christmas far more then they might admit.
09-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Very true Juv. I was one those Catholics that went to all the special mass' and put out my little advent wreath and all that silly stuff. For me it has been a gradual change over the years.
09-12-2013, 11:06 PM
I am sitting here laughing at how silly I must have looked with that smudge on my forehead on Ash Wednesday LOL