Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
Atheist and Christmas

I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way and if they allow their kids to?

We have a man here that he and his family deck out their property with lights and such just no religion to it. Yes they exchange gifts.

So was wondering how other atheist did it?

I posted this to another group and was surprised by the answers so thought I do so here for prospective.

Hope this offends no one here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2015, 03:20 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
Yes, but I celebrate Atheistmas.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
12-11-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
(12-11-2015 03:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes, but I celebrate Atheistmas.

Izzat the day Atheist was born to not give a flying fuck about you or your sins?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-11-2015, 03:30 PM
I celebrate Christmas in the sense that I exchange gifts with friends and family members and I get a tree and decorate it. I also like getting a hot cocoa and driving around and looking at all the Christmas lights. We have one street here that really goes all out. Sometimes I'll go on vacation somewhere or rent a cabin in Tahoe. Or sometimes I'll go into the city for dinner at a nice restaurant and go see a play like A Christmas Carol or the ballet (Nutcracker). I will even go to church for a midnight mass--but only because it makes my mom happy. But I don't celebrate Baby Jesus. Hobo
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
12-11-2015, 03:30 PM
(12-11-2015 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes, but I celebrate Atheistmas.

Izzat the day Atheist was born to not give a flying fuck about you or your sins?

Yes. And on Atheistmas Eve, Atheist comes to your house and eats all of your goodies.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-11-2015, 03:32 PM
I want one of these for my tree

[Image: closeup.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
12-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Christmas can be practiced with no religious connection at all. All the trees, mistletoe, yule logs, overeating, gift exchanges, and general partying goes back to pre-xian solstice celebrations and, even if it didn't, there's nothing wrong with keeping the good parts and dumping the nonsensical ones. If putting up lights and lots of decorations makes you happy then go for it. I prefer a lower-key event personally but still like to connect with people I care about and let them know that.

I'd bet that even for many believers a huge part of the holiday is secular or at least indistinguishable from how their secular neighbors celebrate. They may have a nativity scene in the corner, attend a service, and say a prayer before the meal but that isn't generally the focus.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
12-11-2015, 03:33 PM
I have stopped celebrating Christmas. Sort of. Every other year I do celebrate it as I have my daughter and I'm not going to cheat her from having one. Though my reasoning for skipping it when she's at her moms isn't as much due to Atheism. I just find it an immensely stupid tradition. Same goes for my own birthday. It seems so very odd to me that we have one day where everyone is "forced" to give gifts to each other and get together. It seems so forced to me. I'd much rather get a gift any other random day just because someone saw something and thought of me or just because the wanted to.

On my own birthday I strive to call my parents or send them some flowers just to say thanks for having me. . . that makes much more sense to me.
[+] 3 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
12-11-2015, 03:35 PM
(12-11-2015 03:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I want one of these for my tree

You want a pair of big hairy balls?

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-11-2015, 03:42 PM
(12-11-2015 03:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I want one of these for my tree

A record player?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post