Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
(12-11-2015 03:42 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I want one of these for my tree

[Image: closeup.jpg]

A record player?

Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-11-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: Atheist and Christmas I was wondering if Atheist celebrate Christmas in any way
(12-11-2015 03:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I want one of these for my tree

[Image: closeup.jpg]

You want a pair of big hairy balls?

Well, they are on my list to Santa...

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
12-11-2015, 03:59 PM
We put up an artificial tree and some lights and do presents. During the season Ie drive around and look at Christmas lights and displays, too, because they're interesting and fun.

Christmas is the end of a very busy work schedule for me, so I appreciate the day off. And I like presents. We'll open presents, and if one of them is one of the boxes of snacks, we'll feast on it. Often in the afternoon we go to a movie. The one thing we don't do during the season is play much holiday music at home, because I get burned out on it with work.

When I was a kid, we had always to listen to the Bible stories of Jesus' birth and then sing happy birthday to him while standing around a cake, which we then got to eat. Usually it was chocolate cake with mint-green frosting. Those traditions did not make it to my house.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
12-11-2015, 04:00 PM
I celebrate Christmas, just without all the religion stuff. My Christmas's have never been about religion or anything like that-so It's just normal for me.

Really, except for a few religious-esk songs that I enjoy each year like the something merry gentlemen song....you know..that one with the confort and joy and whatever.

Yeah! That song! I like that song! Besides, everything about Christmas aside from going to church ( if you do ) Is pagan anyway.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
12-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Why should your question offend anyone?

Christmas, and the practices that most people associate with it, are pagan in origin.

It is a combination of the celebration of Saturnalia and some Norse myths.

The tree, mistletoe, Santa Claus, the yule log, giving gifts, decorating your house with lights, etc. all pagan.

But for the most part, Christmas in the US is a chance for friends and family to get together, eat great food, give presents, and have a good time.

Why should atheists be left out of all that?
[+] 4 users Like Simon Moon's post
12-11-2015, 04:25 PM
(12-11-2015 03:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Izzat the day Atheist was born to not give a flying fuck about you or your sins?

Yes. And on Atheistmas Eve, Atheist comes to your house and eats all of your goodies.

And drinks your booze. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Christmas/Solstice/Saturnalia/other are largely cultural celebrations. Christmas wasn't a big deal in Christianity until the 4th century when Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2015, 05:15 PM
You mean I've been offering baked sacrifices to the old red guy in exchange for socks and underwear and toys every year only to now learn that the holiday is about being born half-god... or something?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
12-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Christians stole the holiday from the pagans. Pagans never knock on my door or talk about gay marriage. Why should I deny it?

Mind you, rarely do I celebrate it. I did last year because I was let out of hospital for two days and got to spent time watching my excited niece run around.

I am a bit like Nishy. Yesterday I bought my niece a gift just because I wanted to. Not because of some pagan mythology.

What I don't like about it is when Christians make a big political deal out of it and use it for their own agendas. I mean they stole the damned thing from the people they slaughtered!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-11-2015, 05:42 PM
To me Christmas is something interesting to do in the darkest days of Winter when the sun goes down by 4:30. At least that's the way it is in the upper Northern Hemisphere. I don't tie religion to it at all. I think of it more as a winter celebration and a fun way to stimulate the economy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post